The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dinghy in the study

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B&B Burks

City/Region: Green Valley
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Dinghy in the study Reply with quote

Just brought the new Achilles dinghy home and set it up in the study. We got in and took an imaginary cruise !!!

This is in preparation of taking delivery of our new CD-25 in the next couple of weeks. This has been a long time coming! We started out with an order on a Ranger Tug we made at the SBS last year. But after much angst we had to face the fact that the tug just wasn't going to meet our cruising needs. However, the female half of this team still lusts after that cute boat !!

We bought the last 2007 CD-25 that Les had that was of the "old" style interior. We realize we are fortunate so we are pretending that the black trim really is our 1st, 2nd or 3rd color choice !! Les, Kathy and the rest of the crew at EQ are doing their awesome magic. They have been so extremely helpful in making the boat all we could want it to be.

We are total newbies to the power boat scene and are looking forward to this being a whole new chapter in our life. The last couple of years have entailed overseeing the care of aging parents and during the last 10 months we've lost 3 family members. Soooooo we are really looking forward to some quality healing and fun times on the water. We live in Central Oregon but believe us that boat is going to be trailered all over this country by the time we are through!!!

We love this site and the whole feeling of the C-Brats and hope to meet many of you in the near future. What great therapy this site has been over the last year plus for us. We've taken many vicarious trips with you. Thanks a million.
Bob & Betsy Burks
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congratulations!! We look forward to seeing you on your mental health and serenity machine Smile
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Don't feel too bad about the black trim color - that will let you select and change your colors whenever you feel like it! Black goes with green, Red, Wine, Blue, Tan - whatever... Soooo you really have a boat that will let you change your color of decor whenever you wish using accessories.

John
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Bob and Betsy,

We seem to have a lot in common. Well, I have never set up the dinghy in the house, but that's a whole different story. Wink We pondered over the boat decision for months. Saw the floorplan of the C-Ranger Tug at the 2006 SBS, but knew we would want the ability to cruise at higher speeds. The CD-25 is a very versatile boat, and I congratulate you on the pending delivery of yours (and your good taste Very Happy ).

Wild Blue is our first powerboat (after being confirmed sailors). The boat has been all we hoped for, and we are thoroughly enjoying this change to powercruising. This boat ushered in a new chapter in our lives, as well. I hope you will find as much joy with yours as we have. It can be theraputic, refreshing, relaxing, exciting, and occasionally trying. That "kicking back in the cockpit" stuff has to be tempered with the fact that cruising requires a fair bit of work, too. Simple things like grocery shopping, laundry, and even taking a shower require more effort on a boat. Dealing with a dinghy isn't as easy as pulling your car out of the garage. Please know that this is not meant to dissuade you in anyway - we find the rewards of powercruising are well worth the effort. But, it's a whole 'nother world out there, and since you mentioned that this is new to you... well, I just wanted to be sure you get the whole picture. It's all part of the adventure.

There is a wealth of information and advice to be had here (as you've already discovered). We've tried to document our journey along the way, but the words sometimes fail me when it comes to the wonderful people we've met (thanks to this boat). You will find a warm, welcoming fraternity as you travel with your new boat.

The black is a sharp color. You will never have a problem finding accessories to match. Wink Truth be told, blue wasn't our first choice; we picked it based on the color of our tow vehicle... and then decided we needed a different tow vehicle. The trim is a minor part as well - the beauty in these boats is in the classic lines and functionality. Shucks, "Wild Blue" wasn't even our first choice for a name.

Good luck with this next chapter. If you haven't taken a safe-boating class, I'd recommend that as a place to start. Practice in an easy environment and get comfortable with the boat locally before you head cross-country. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Welcome. Reply with quote

Very good. I to had very limited power boat experence and live inland like
yourselves. Have hauled to PS 6 times in two years. Enjoy your experence.
REMEMBER: If god didn't want people from BEND to boat in salt water he
wouldn't have put wheels on boat trailers.

CoolSmile john CoolSmile
Overload

City/Region: Leavenworth, WA-n-Hope, Alaska
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lil' Brother
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome Bob and Betsy!

Know you are anxious for the delivery, as I've been up there talking with Les and he has mentioned your boat several times.

Hope it is done REAL soon, cuz the blue 22 sitting there should be next in line after yours and IT'S mine. Very Happy

Doug and Glenda DeVore

PS Wasn't it kinda hard getting a good bite with the oars?
B&B Burks

City/Region: Green Valley
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the warm welcome !!

Patti & Barry, we like that mental health serenity machine business -- now if we could play with that to get a name out of it. Right now the prospective name is Sanity.

John, as having worked in the interior design field, don't think Betsy hasn't thought of all those color combos too. A man after our own hearts to think of that !! By the way, we've always appreciated your even-handed approach to touchy topics that have come up. We know, you too, were an original tug wanna be. Followed with interest your Christmas trip in Tom-a-Hawk. We love La Conner and it will be the first place we go when we leave Les' Cornet Bay !!

Jim, we may have more in common than you realize. We used to have a Corsair F 24 !! Your sailing experience is far deeper than ours, but we did love that boat and how responsive it was. We religiously followed your Florida travel log, and appreciate the excitement of finding a clean shower and good laundramat. FYI, we ordered a GT Xpress 101 this morning !!
John Schuler, you are right about the trailering --- that has always been a #1 priority with us. We happen to own a Tire Factory store so we do know that God wants us on wheels to get to the water !!

Doug and Glenda, all we can say is good things are worth waiting for !!! And Les' rigged boats are definitely worth waiting for, as you know, I'm sure.

Hope to meet you all and see you on the water. The brats were one of the big reasons we went with the boat we did !!
Bob & Betsy
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Betsy... Thanks!

I just wish more had been open while we were in La Conner. Just a note of importance. Even tho' Bill and El had noted how you have to really check out the current while docking there at La Conner, I tried to dock into the wind, ignoring the current. That current will grab your outboard leg and literally throw it around in front of you! 'Probably best to dock into the current if it's present there.

The tug....ahh... gosh... too bad. BUT I just love my TomCat and I'm sure you'll be enjoying your 25. I've had alot of boats with inboards and am actually quite glad to not have to worry about all that bilge problem and freezing problems. The outboards are much more reliable and more easily maintained. But... it is a pretty tug...

See you around, John

Last edited by drjohn71a on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys - I recall chatting when we were all signing on the dotted line for the yet-to-be-real Ranger 25 Tug at the 2005 SBS! We too canceled our order for the tug, after realizing it was not quite what was advertised and would not fit our cruising style. Plus after cruising the CD25 from Blaine to Ketchikan, I really fell in love with it all over again, it is just so right for us (and a LOT less money!). I too lost my parents this past year (my Mom in October and my Dad in December) - tough. Finally, when our dinghy comes (Gary King Alaska Series, ordered at the 2007 SBS), we'll probably sit in it in the living room just because!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Betsy-

Welcome aboard!!!

Well, you've been documented to have contracted the C-Dory virus and to still must be in the Infectious Stage! Congradulations and condolences! Be aware and Beware!

Dr's Warning: Stay away from boat shows and boat chandlerys. Lock checkbook in safe at home. Think only clean thoughts w/o referemce to boating. Do not go near water.

Now that we've established your integrity and personal qualifications, can there be anything worse than publically admitting to playing with your dingy in the study? Tyboo will edit anything else I write, so I won't.

Welcome aboard to the C-Brat clan of Boat-Rats! May your stay be a long one!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Joe... he must be one of those folks that think you "suffer" from this particular form of insanity. I think you should really enjoy this particular form of insanity. Wink

DO go to boat stuff places - help keep the economy going. DO go near the water - it's good for the soul (and even better when you get your dinghy out of the study and into the water... and even better yet when you get your C-Dory). Don't be concerned about being infectious - there are some people who are immune to this disease; they are called: misdirected. They spend money on frivolous things like furniture, lawn mowers, golf clubs, and other non-essential non-boat stuff. Some are known to have saving accounts and spend countless hours watching TV. They lead lives of quiet desperation, never planning their next boat outing. You have escaped this fate.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: