View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: I'd Like Bigger Tanks Reply with quote

More pondering on the tank issue. (Yes, I do have a little too much time on my hands, today.) A couple of months ago, when I first started considering replacing my 18 gallon crud catchers. I'd read about Tyboo getting twin 24 gallon tanks and being really satisfied with the process. Then I began hearing--here, or on C-Dogs, about leaky 24 gallon tanks, and that C-Dory was in the midst of trying to solve that issue. As part of the apparent fix, I heard that they were gonna get 25 gallon tanks from another dealer and discontinue the 24 gallon tanks. When I called C-Dory, they seemed a bit mysterious about what the story was, and weren't sure when 25 gallon tanks would be available. That was a couple of months ago. Then I got a message back from the factory, indicating that I could order 20 gal. tanks, with the fixings I needed to put them in. This week, I called, and got a difinitive (apparently) answer that I could only get 20 gallon tanks, and that no, they didn't plan to come out with bigger tanks any time soon. I went ahead and ordered the new tanks, but would sorely be pressed if I drop money for new tanks, only to get 4 more gallons capacity, and then find out I could get 48 or 50 gallon tanks by waiting a bit. Does anyone have the inside scoop on what's going on--or in the alternative, does anyone know of an easy way to get 48-50 gallon capacity well-made tanks that work well in a 1999-vintage CD 22?
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearh, I took delivery of my boat last September and was promised 25 gallon tanks then. Everytime I talk with someone from the factory they have some story why they don't have them yet. I will just wait, not sure what to suggest but do not hold your breath on the 25 gallon tanks.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a e-mail response from Jeff Messmer at C-Dory on the large cap fuel tanks for the 22' CD, and I quote:

"We are not having the larger tanks built due to some manufacturing issues. We would love to have a larger tank, however at this time we have put that on hold. 20 will have to do for a while."

That apparently puts this issue to bed for the foreseeable future at least.

NOW! This "IS A BIG DEAL" in the sense that my query to him was today at 2:17PM and his reply was today at 3:22PM. Thats a pretty prompt and refreshing turnaround.

Jeff would be the guy to direct your e-mail to at C-Dory.

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered my boat 2 years ago, I was told I would have 25 gal tanks- what I got was the 24 gal tanks. I saw a C-Dory at Lake Powell that had a custum aluminum tank across the back.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminum "cross body" tank used to be a popular option on the 22' CD
several years ago, then all of a sudden Mark Toland dropped them. He told me that they just got too spendy. The supplier bumped the cost up quite a bit. They were very close to 50 gal., runs in my mind a shade over.
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, there is a place here in Maryland named Quantum and they specialize in gas tanks. I don't know anything more than what I just said however, they have a facility not far from my house. If anyone wants me to look into it and get some preliminary information as to their stock tanks, custom manufacturing capability, and contact info I'd be more than happy to do it. Butch
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Ok, a few thoughts...

I'd prefer to avoid a "cross body" tank; it's sure nice to have some room between the tanks for access to an aft bilge pump and the hull plug; not to mention the space to get a few more items out of the way.

It doesn't seem necessary to go all the way across to get sufficient capacity unless one uses a rectangular tank which loses the volume at the outboard ends where the hull slopes.

I wouldn't want to push the capacity (in the stern) much higher than 50-gallons as the weight starts to become as issue; especially for 4-stroke powered boats with kickers (probably also four strokes). This isn't necessarily from a safety standpoint (the boat can handle the weight) but it sure starts to affect the balance of the boat and the ride characteristics.

I'd really like to see an option for side saddle tanks; they'd mount under the side decks and could be just aft of the cabin bulkhead on the CD22 putting the extra weight farther forward. They'd have about 20-gallons of capacity each. Tempo makes tanks that are very close to the wedge shape that would be necessary. Even with 'standard' 20-gallon aft tanks total capacity could reach 80-gallons with the 'wing' tanks.

Another option is to figure out just how many of the sets of 25-gallon tanks a number of folks might want and approach someone like Inca Molded Products and see what rotationally molded tanks would cost and in what quantities. I know these tanks work; they've been used in Arima boats for years and years...including the big 106-gallon model in the Arima 22.

www.marinautboats.com

Last edited by Les Lampman on Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bearh,

If you switch to the new 20-gallon CD22 tanks you're going to get more than you think as compared to your older 18-gallon tanks. I'm assuming you have the grey rectangular Moeller tanks...they were, of course, mounted directly to the deck and therefor follow its slope and their fuel pick ups are mounted on the outboard end. The result of this is that the usable fuel is quite a bit less than the 36-gallons total in the tanks.

On new 20-gallons tanks the bottoms are sloped to follow the hull contour (the top is level) but the pick up's are at the inboard ends where the fuel runs 'to' them rather than 'away' as in the old Moeller tanks.

The following is not set in stone and YMMV!!! When I fill a new set of "20-gallon" tanks I usually get about 22-gallons in each. I believe that the usable fuel is close to the 20-gallon mark. If this is the case then the difference in usable fuel from the old tanks to the new is pretty substantial (in the range of 8 to 10 gallons). Can some one chime in here (with a newer boat) and say how many gallons it's taking to fill an emptied tank?
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Ok, a few thoughts...

I'd prefer to avoid a "cross body" tank; it's sure nice to have some room between the tanks for access to an aft bilge pump and the hull plug; not to mention the space to get a few more items out of the way.

It doesn't seem necessary to go all the way across to get sufficient capacity unless one uses a rectangular tank which loses the volume at the outboard ends where the hull slopes.

I wouldn't want to push the capacity (in the stern) much higher than 50-gallons as the weight starts to become as issue; especially for 4-stroke powered boats with kickers (probably also four strokes). This isn't necessarily from a safety standpoint (the boat can handle the weight) but it sure starts to affect the balance of the boat and the ride characteristics.

I'd really like to see an option for side saddle tanks; they'd mount under the side decks and could be just aft of the cabin bulkhead on the CD22 putting the extra weight farther forward. They'd have about 20-gallons of capacity each. Tempo makes tanks that are very close to the wedge shape that would be necessary. Even with 'standard' 2-gallon aft tanks total capacity could reach 80-gallons with the 'wing' tanks.

Another option is to figure out just how many of the sets of 25-gallon tanks a number of folks might want and approach someone like Inca Molded Products and see what rotationally molded tanks would cost and in what quantities. I know these tanks work; they've been used in Arima boats for years and years...including the big 106-gallon model in the Arima 22.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when our tanks on Daydream (2003 22' Cruiser) are empty, it takes between 22 and 23 gallons to fill each one. However, these days, I try to keep both tanks topped off after every cruise, with Stabil always added, so I haven't filled a completely empty tank for quite a while - but that is what I remember. I also think my tanks were manufactured by a dyslexic - the raised numbers, which are barely visible, are reversed - the "10" mark reads "01." Of course, I can barely shave using a mirror and can't use scissors, so my markings would probably have come out from the top down instead of bottom up, as well as being reversed...
Les Lampman wrote:
Hi bearh,

Can some one chime in here (with a newer boat) and say how many gallons it's taking to fill an emptied tank?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Mighty Bite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought on the saddle tanks, Les. Bringing the weight forward would be a plus and there is a natural spot for them under the side shelves in the cockpit.

The saddle tanks like the Tempo are used a lot up here, mostly in riverboats, but now that you brought it up, I recall seeing a pair of saddle tanks in a C-Dory Angler quite a few years ago. Like most things, I forgot it until you brought it up.

I went to google and looked for rotationally molded tanks and brought up Inca immediately. It looks like that might be a great option and have some advantages over the Tempo. It would be interesting to see how many people were interested in bumping their fuel cap up and I'm sure the numbers would dictate the practicality of Inca doing it, and we being able to afford it, hmmmmm, that's the same thing, isn't it.

You're exactly right about the advantage of having that space between the current fuel tanks available and accessible.

Only 0 degrees this morning. I can almost "hear" spring coming!
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Agree with Les Reply with quote

Snoopy-C has the old grey tanks, and I'd like to get some additional capacity also. I squeeze a 2 1/2 gal tank between the two, but wouldn't want to loose the access to the drain hole, and where I placed the additional bilge pump which cleans the cockpit much better than the bulkhead pump. As soon as I start underway, the boat nose up tilt of the boat completely drains the cockpit with the rear pump. I believe that the 20 gal tanks also provide more space between them than the 18's. The saddle tank idea sounds good. If a group pursues finding replacement options, and thus reduced costs for a retrofit, I'd be interested. Seems like the20 gal retros were about $500, if I'm not mistaken. Seems like that is with no fuel gages. Comments, please. Ron, aka "digger".
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, Adeline has the twin 18s and an OMC 6 in between. I'd also like to upgrade my fuel capacity and especially like the idea of the saddle tanks. I'm not sure the move to 20s would be worth it for me however. Pete

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearh -

You did just fine getting the twin 20's. That's 10 gallons more total useable gas, and 6 gallons less crud and grunge capacity. The first time I took my original 18's out to clean them, the stuff from the lower inside came out in globs.

One advantage - and some folks would consider it a big advantage - is the extra room between the 20 gallon tanks compared to the mythical 24 gallon jobs that I put in the TyBoo22. Before I ordered mine, I asked B~C to measure the distance betwixt the tanks in his 22. He said, and B~C usually doesn't fib, that the space was 27 1/2". When I got my larger tanks in, the space between was 18 1/8".

You will like everything about the tank upgrade. No more fuel gauge and troublesome senders. You can tell at a glance how much gas you have left. You can also watch the level come up when refilling, and not have to wait for the first burp out of the vent to know when to stop with the nozzel. Also, the new ones are not ugly. And, you should get the nifty starboard boards to cover the face of them. Not only all that, but the suction hose is at the downhill side of the tanks, and you won't get the water accumulation in the bottom. What little water does get into the gas will come out first thing and be trapped by your filtering system, rather than build up until there is enough to clog the system all at once should it slosh over to the pickup screen (never had that happen, but often worried about it.).

There is a good chance that when you get the screws for the original clamps out of the floor, you will find that water has gotten into the core. No big deal, but be sure and dry it as good as you can and then seal the holes tight with some of that fancy epoxy stuff. I used a product called Git Rot to fill the holes in my floor, and it worked real good. There are other similar products around, and they all cost almost as much as the new tanks did.

Keep on with the progress reports.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
I try to keep both tanks topped off after every cruise

Pat, up near where you live there is a gentleman who is wise beyond his years, which makes him pretty damn wise because he just had his 84th birthday, who had some advice over to the original C-Brat site about occasionally running your tanks empty.

Instead of sending you off on a link chase, I'll just quote him here:

Years ago, Dusty wrote:
Speaking of Sawdust, watch it! Salt water in gas tank will ruin fish day. The old goat, who hates oars, always checks for burnable fuel. Run 'em dry, Brats, for a couple of good reasons. One, the crap (is that a legal word?) builds up in the bottom of the tanks if you don't empty often, and when you gotta use all your fuel -- oops. I've had to siphon gallons of crud out of the bottom of Florida boats... sand in the gas. In WA it's usually a mixture of water and residue -- in Canada, look out! The out-of-the-way stations that pump little gas, where I usually go in Canada, have poor filter systems. Two, it's nice to know how far you can go... my trips are long, and I usually drain one tank before switching. Port tank, 23.5 burnable, Starboard tank, 24.0.

Now I ain't saying you're doing wrong, but I ain't gonna argue with St. Sawdust, neither! He was really serious about it, too. Even though he knew that Red Fox might ban him for syaing "crap", he said what he felt because he felt it so strongly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: