The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

XM Sat. Weather
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: XM Sat. Weather Reply with quote

I have an option on my plotter that allows me to access XM Weather. Does anyone here have experience with the service? I subscribed to the service but there is a problem with my software/hardware in receiving the data even though I am getting a strong XM signal. Garmin is sending me the new software update, hopefully that fixes the problem. If not I would like to know the worth of the service before I go to the trouble of sending my plotter to Garmin for the fix.

Gene Morris

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XM has been bought by Sirius. Dunno what effect, if any, that might have. I assume it works in a similar manner to Sirius, which I have and recommend.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might go to Raymarines website and look at the 4.25 software "new features". Most of 4.25 has to do with Sirius weather and from the literature it looks pretty good.
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XM and Serius have agreed to the terms of a merger.
It must be approved by the Feds and there is significant opposition from the NAB, consumer groups and others. Not yet a done deal.

Serius and XM are saying there will not be compatibility problems if the merger goes through.

Phil
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been aboard several boats with both the Sirius and XM weather. The information seemed to be accurate and complete. There were some suggestions that the XM nexrad images were delayed initially, but recent information suggests that has been fixed. The Sirius radar seemed to be very up to date.

All of this information is available on the internet if you are going on a day trip.

My personal feeling was it was not worth the cost of the service and reciever--in our part of the country the storms are visiable, radar tracks the storm cells well. AM radio static, visual/auditory gives a good idea of the distance off of lightning. (Lightning is available only on the more expensive $50/ month package)

I agree that the XM / Sirius issue is a bit up in the air, until the regulatory issues are settled and we see if both weather services are retained.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XM is available on selected Garmin products, Sirius on the Raymarine, not sure of the relationship with the other mfgs. The only one I have hands on with is the XM/Garmin and it seems like it would be very nice for offshore sailboat racing, but the receiver and subscription are pricey. Even though we enjoy listening to Sirius on Wild Blue, we chose to not go with the weather service on our Raymarine E-series. The subscription runs $30-50/month additional, but does allow you to put it on "vacation" when you are not using it.

As Dr. Bob mentioned, we use our computer with a wireless broadband card to get up to the minute weather information. While going up the Florida east coast recently with thunderstorms visible ahead, we did use it that way to time it to go between cells. I am a true weather-nerd, but couldn't cost justify the additional $$$ for the satellite radio weather.

I would consider it a "nice to have, but..." option.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

What internet site do you use for detailed weather? On the west coast we get weather patterns. Since we're going to be in the mid-west this summer, it like to find out where we can get detailed cell information, such as you mentioned.

Boris
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a portable/fixed personal Sirius radio setup. It constantly goes silent when any tiny thing gets between it and the satellite - even a cloud. I also have the sat. receiver on my boat, but have not subscribed to the service yet.

I am wondering if others are suffering the constant interruptions that I'm getting on my entertainment radio on their weather or other Sirius receivers. What good would a weather receiver be if it went silent when there were clouds?

John
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sirius, which is similar, and on the boat it works great. Actually, it works amazingly well. But sitting on the window sill at home, with a south facing window, my home antenna is problematic. On the boat it almost never loses signal. Recently I ran it up a v shaped canyon with rock walls on three sides, probably 500 to 600 feet high, and went clear to the end of the v with tall firs on the sides and it got signal all night. Clouds don't seem to affect it at all. I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a difference in the antennas. I use the little 1"X1" antenna on the boat, and just hang it out the forward hatch. At home the antenna is on a tilting mount and measures about 3"X3". I need to check that possibility out.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lloyds.... yes, I have the antenna outside a North window... I even put a horizontal stick out there to move it further away from the house, but still lots of interruptions. I can't put it on the South 'cause the stereo and all is on the North wall. Also, even the headset antenna gets alot of interruptions. The off and on has bothered me to the extent I don't even use it anymore.

John
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boris,
I use the Weather Channel, Weatherbug.com (which has great info, including photos, of many local sites), WeatherUnderground, and AccuWeather. Pull up local radar and load the 3 hour history (updated usually within 6 minutes on some sites). You can track the individual cells. Many local community newspapers or tv stations have very good local weather observations. I tend to not trust weather forecasts more than 24 hours out, but will check them out to get a trend. I also like to look at national weather maps to get a feel of highs/lows/large lines of storms/movement/etc.
Listen to NOAA, but using all the above, I make my own forecasts. Brent and Dixie can attest to my passion with local weather. If the local conditions don't match up to the recent forecast, you at least have some idea what's going to happen.
HTH

Best wishes,
Jim B.
ORCA

City/Region: germany
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: ORCA
Photos: ORCA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Better get an NOAA Receiver.... Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats

In my opinion it is better to get a NOAA VHF receiver and hook it up to a laptop and you got all the infos you need... Wink

One can get a Noaa receiver used with software and antenna for 100 US... Shocked

I use:
http://www.xaxero.com/skyeye.htm

The good thing is, all the infos are FREEEEE... No monthly fee.... Very Happy

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Orca-Yukonchris&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=5

Happy are they who dream dreams...And have the courage to make them come true !
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something--the "Eye in the sky"--using the sprial antenna is $1995....The information seems to be mostly cloud cover--and I believe some thermal imaging. What satellite reciever is available for $199?

I have used HF fax and dedicated weather fax for planning when passagemaking and even in the PNW. This same material is available on the internet at:
http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/marine.shtml

For all NOAA products:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/home.htm#observations (including links to bouys, NexRad, Satellite images etc.)

For the live internet I like: Weather.com, Weather underground (for example going to Nexrad radar),

Of course there are the standard marine forcasts, and high seas forcasts which are also available on the internet.

An example of critical weather forcasting was when we were in charge of safety for the Optimist Dinghy National Championship (300 8 to 13 year olds in 8 foot sailing prams). We had one person watching the television and NexRad weather on the computer, a link to the control tower at the local airport and Navy base/Coast Guard, as well as marine radar both on 36 mile and 3 mile ranges. We had to get the kids off of the water if lightning strikes or storm cells were within 10 miles of the venue. One uses all of the modalities available.
ORCA

City/Region: germany
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: ORCA
Photos: ORCA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI thataway

When you have internet on board (sat Phone) it is easy ,but if not... Rolling Eyes

There are many VHF receiver in the 137 MHz for sale...

Well go on:
http://www.wraase.de/
Look under specials and you can get a very, very good receiver (MR-137)for 249 Euro with prof software... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Or the MR-9202B for 95 Euro... Thumbs Up
And hundreds more on the internet... Smile

Its very easy to make a sat antenna your self...
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=14606
http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wxsat/antennas/default.htm

With practice it is easy to see lightning on the sat picture, but
when I see a big system coming and the cloud temp is -50,
well I know it is better to hide...

My system is very expensive, yes,but it is a prof system... Very Happy
I had at least 6 different systems from 199-3500 EUROs... Shocked
This is the best up til now... Cool

But, any scanner is capable to receive NOAA sats with free software...

Very good website about weather sat :
http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wxsat/equipment.htm

Very good software:
http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/satsignal.htm

As a Ham (I think I read you are a ham ?) you should know that Wink

I don't say, that a sat system is the best, but when you know how to use it it is very, very, very good for predictin the weather, it just takes time to really know how to use it, thats all Wink

Hell, I still find new things on my Photoshop software every day, and i am using it for years.... Wink

Sorry, I was just telling my experience with the NOAA sat system,
I think it is a good compromise against the XM sat systems...

Regards chris

Last edited by ORCA on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I don't think it is quite as simple as you make it seem. The reciever you mention is 249 Euro--or about $400 US. The average scanner will not work--it does not have a wide enough bandwidgh (40khz).
The Helix antenna is critical-- could I make a system which would work?--certainly--but as you point out I am a ham, who has built some of his own gear and understand circuits as well as antenna engineering. Then I have a satellite photo reciever--but as for the lightning--it is easier for me to be listening to static on an AM radio, watching cells on radar and counting the time from flash to sound--all while navigating the boat...rather than fooling with a computer, specialized antenna and reciever. I did see the 99Ero recievers--crystal controlled--and with the latest NOAA crystal frequency (recent change). Again, I am sure a fun thing to fool with--but I often have my hands full running at 25 knots or more in the Tom Cat....

All in all I think one can get equal or better information for the average boater from other modalities--which may include Weather Fax via HF, internet (some phones give the NexRad weather),

Most likely your expensive gear has a better resolution--but the satellite photos I have seen (including in these sites) are a bit hard to localize your specific location, especially in storm conditions. The Satellite technology is certainly excellent, but I suspect it is more than most C Bratts want to get into.

Thanks for the information--very interesting.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: