View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Table Leg Problem Reply with quote

How's it going fellow people with the best choice in boats. I was wondering if any of you have an idea where I may be able to get a replacement table leg for my 2000 22' C-Dory. It is one of the only components on the boat that I am dissapointed in. It is made of what I believe to be is a cheezily coated ordinary steel. Mine is connected to the table with stainless screws (dissimilar metals).

The table leg is rusting out and I want to get it out of the boat ASAP, but I need to find a replacement. I have looked at West Marine and Defender Marine, but they do not appear to carry any table legs of that design. Otherwise, I will buy 1"x1" stainless stock and make my own replacement leg. I would rather get the whole apparatus though, because I could not build the fittings that join the leg to the table out of stainless and they are badly rusting too. Hope the factory is reading this!

Overall, I love the C-Dory, but I think the table could use some improvements. The fastners that join the table to the boat need to be improved as well. If you lean on the edge of the table, the table fitting pops out of the holder and becomes completely unattached, making it potentially dangerous in rough seas. I did install a screw in fastner that fastens the table leg to the floor a little more security.

Just my 2 cents.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might try an RV or trailer dealer/catalog. Some Trailers have virtually the same leg supporting a dinette. You could also try a woodworking catalog such as Rockler's WWW.Rockler.com.
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Table leg Reply with quote

I too had a rusting leg. I sawed most of the leg off below the hinge/lock mechanism, turfed it and cleaned up the part that attaches to the table. I fashioned a square wooden leg out of clear doug fir and fitted into the metal socket (drilled a SS bolt through for security). Good application of Sikaflex and it looks great.
I have seen a solution to more securely attach the table to the cabin wall but cannot recall on whose boat it was done.

Cheers - Dave
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dude, I hear Ya. The table prior to 2005 left something to be desired. The thing is unstable, insofar as the hardware is concerned. I've got a 2004 and it
was the same setup you have. I haven't had the rusting problem, as yet. The old mounting system was simply unsatisfactory, so I upgraded to the new
version of the mounting.

I got all the current hardware from C-Dory directly and installed it spring of last year, including the teak (pre-drilled) mounting board for the table the blind hinges, which replace the pockets, lock down device for the table, and the securing bracket for the bottom of the table leg. Made all the difference in the world. I'm really happy with it now.

Good luck!

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dude:

Here are two links to other discussions of this problem:

Table Instability

Unstable Dinette Table

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Table Leg Problem Reply with quote

C-Dude wrote:
How's it going fellow people with the best choice in boats. I was wondering if any of you have an idea where I may be able to get a replacement table leg for my 2000 22' C-Dory. It is one of the only components on the boat that I am dissapointed in. It is made of what I believe to be is a cheezily coated ordinary steel. Mine is connected to the table with stainless screws (dissimilar metals).

The table leg is rusting out and I want to get it out of the boat ASAP, but I need to find a replacement. I have looked at West Marine and Defender Marine, but they do not appear to carry any table legs of that design. Otherwise, I will buy 1"x1" stainless stock and make my own replacement leg. I would rather get the whole apparatus though, because I could not build the fittings that join the leg to the table out of stainless and they are badly rusting too. Hope the factory is reading this!

Overall, I love the C-Dory, but I think the table could use some improvements. The fastners that join the table to the boat need to be improved as well. If you lean on the edge of the table, the table fitting pops out of the holder and becomes completely unattached, making it potentially dangerous in rough seas. I did install a screw in fastner that fastens the table leg to the floor a little more security.

Just my 2 cents.

I would call the factory!! They have been verry easy to deal with Beer
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago a purchased a table leg made from aluminum from J. C. Whitney. It came in three parts, top, bottom (same) and pipe for the leg. Try there catalog.

Also try marine catalogs, especially ones like Kellogg out of Old Lime Ct. You might find the bottom, the top, and the pipe for the center. A little sawing and you have a leg. They might be on different pages or sections.

Boaters World and West Marine Catalogs have mostly everything all ready to go. There might be something there.

This is the old way we did things.

Fred

Eugene

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Happy Day
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it comes to replacing the leg, you might want to "Google" the string "folding table bracket" and you will find numerous solutions. One of them will be the previously mentioned rockler.com: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9993&cookietest=1.

Thanks,

Eugene
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just followed Joe's link Unstable Dinette Table and tried the technique offered up by Doug / Liberty Call. I was stunned. Just like Doug (and Tyboo) said the tangs slipped nicely(and fully) into their recesses like never before. After 18 years of that table flopping I think this is finally the solution. Thanks guys !

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dude -

Those folding legs are a pain, even in RV's! The new TomCats and, I think, Cd25's have the definitive answer:

The large, metal cylinder leg mounted as far inboard as possible, and two, wall-mounted, slide locking holders. This setup is rock solid! To unhook, you raise the table off the large tube and slide it forward or aft, out of the slide lock holders. This gives you a stable, three point support with the strongest right by the center aisle, right where you need strength in rough water.

John
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Table problems hopefully solved Reply with quote

Thanks for all the generous advice guys! I called the factory and they are going to send me out the new setup, including the tubular leg and the new sliding hinges. The factory rep says that the new setup works great. To my suprise the stainless sliding hinges and the locking hinge will cost $25 and the new powder coated aluminum cylindrical table leg and mounts will cost $45. This is very reasonable after doing some research with some marine suppliers.

The factory is currently out of the table leg, but should be getting some in soon. The leg is custom made for the C-Dory. It has a longer tube for when the table is all the way up and additionally has a shorter tube for when the table is in the down position for sleeping. This will definitely add more support. The rep said the new setup is very stable. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: