City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to trim the bow up???

Apparently, we need to take into account the differing loading patterns between users. For instance, I have absolutely nothing in the forward storage area, so the bow is almost always "up". If some of you have the bow always "down", I'd be worried a bit and consider shifting loads.

Also, I rarely am in the boat more than a day or so, unlike you cruisers. Cruising demands alot more equipment and supplies, so probably more weight there. Give me a few years of 'losing' things and gradually packing all the remote recesses and maybe I'll have the same problems...

Squidslayer - I don't know about your boat, but most of the TomCat 255s are riding with 1/4 to 1/3 of the cockpit draining scupper outlets under water - even without extra batteries and a full livewell. I don't see how the aft hull could be driven much further into the water without water actively entering the cockpit!

John
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimD wrote:
drjohn71a wrote:
Jim -

I had not realized there was such a small weight difference on the Honda/E Tek comparison. You imply that the Verado is different. Is the Verado heavier?

John

I am no gearhead, but being a teen in the late 60's early 70's I had a "hot rod" and was really into cars. We used to "blow" (supercharge) in order to get more hp for a given size (displacement) of engine.
Maybe someone can explain to me what possible point it is for a Verado of any given horsepower to weigh more than any other manufacturer's? Power to weight ratio is most important in boating both for performance and economy. I know materials are far better now, but even so a "blown" engine works harder and develops more heat so it's life is still shorter, albeit maybe not like the old days.
I guess (I don't know) a supercharged engine would have better hole shot (smoother power curve)? Well, real skiers and wakers use specialized inboards. That leaves what; drag racers and bass fishermen? Razz
Plus the Verado costs alot more. Cry

As far as the weight issue, it is probably the supercharger itself, a true internal engine geared supercharger is a heavy unit. That does not explain the other engines though. The new Mercury 90's are much heavier than my 2003, same horsepower. I'm with you on not getting what the constant weight increases gain (other than lost customers).

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tomcat Reply with quote

I have to take a little exception with this - assuming we are talking new prices, rigged, with a trailer, a nicely rigged CD25 these day is closer to $90K than $70, and a nicely rigged TC255, well, I wonder how Squidslayer got one for $100K, I'll bet it is $140K or more - how about it, other new TC255 purchasers? How much did you end up spending, ready to cruise? Whether a TC255 is "twice the boat" is also quite debatable - they are DIFFERENT boats, as is the Ranger R25 - all nominal 25 foot boats. The big advantage of the TC255, which we all acknowledge, is its awesome ride and ability to handle rough water at speed. I am quite anxious to see how the new BF15 Les installed two weeks ago pushes Daydream for slow cruising. For a slow cruiser, though, no debate at all - go for the Ranger R25. But look at Wild Blue, Anna Leigh, Daydream, and the other CD25s on this site, how people use them, their satisfaction level...the CD25 is a great all-around cruiser.

squidslayer wrote:
..the 25 C-Dory is goes for 70 k.....the TomCat 100k but the TomCat is TWICE the Boat......

Dick
255 TomCat
ShirleyMae
Orinda

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat - I agree about the TC 255 price levels. That aft steering station demands complete dual sets of electronic controls and the base price is nudging 10 grand just for that setup. I think a total, equipped price level is closer to 140-150 grand. Prob' Squid was comparing base price levels.

The TomCat cockpit seems to have alot more usable space than the CD 25 and that solid Armstrong bracket/Diver's platform is like the back veranda!

John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimD wrote:
go here http://www.honda-marine.com/outboardprofessor.aspx# and choose "vtec" on the right column
If you rarely see 4000 rpm at wot then change your prop pitch. If you just cruise slowly then have fun!

Thanks, Jim, that was just what I wanted.

Our boat cruises @ 7 knts, because the throttle is way back. This gives good mileage (6 mpg) and we get to see the scenery. If we need to go fast, why we have vtec.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price of a TC 255 with trailer and power starts close to $120K. By the time you add electronics, upgrade the charger, wiring, generator, AC etc you are fairly easily at $150K.

We keep the boat in cruising mode, and she rides level--no bow down.

We have not had any significant water in the scuppers even in heavy weather--but again we don't keep a lot of weight. The extra batteries are under the dinette --only item aft may be the generator and inflatable, but we try and keep these foreward in the cockpit.

Putting weight in either end of the boat makes it pitch or hobby horse more.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
onwater4fun

City/Region: Eastern
State or Province: ON
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks to All Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, we appreciate your experience and tips. We had demo of 25 Ranger and Tom Cat. First Mate & I fell in love Love with the Tug but because I have had operations on both my ears diesel sound and I just don't get along. The Tom Cat was everthing we expected in the water but after seeing the beautiful finish and the many extras in the Tug the Cat is tens of thousands too expensive. So like you JimD I guess we will remain Bayliner alreadybe's and C-Dory Wanabe's
Sad
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Tomcat Reply with quote

A Basic TomCat 75k with Twin Outboards 30k basic stove..sink with out any toys ..without trailer (I don't want or have one) good to go costs about 105k+
When you add a trailer 10k..Refrig.1k..windlass1k...rear station3k..dual electronic controls 8k...digital fuel guages1k....electronics15k ect ect
140k+

Dick
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so in the old days we learned about hp rating based on that "displacement factor" formula from the USCG. Seeing as that was/is weight based, and that the 175s from Evinrude (and Honda too?) are the same wieght as the 150s, has anyone tried these out? ...disregarding the NMMA and your insurance company Twisted Evil I remember we worried about "surge torque" on the transom with very high power obs as much as weight (hehe we just wanted to go fast), but that seems to be a non issue with the Armstrong brackets.

PS I also heard from a "little bird" that initial TC 255 testing was done with twin 200s ..not sure if that is really true,, but I guess I still like fast even though I am in my 50s now Mr. Green

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimD wrote:

PS I also heard from a "little bird" that initial TC 255 testing was done with twin 200s ..not sure if that is really true,, but I guess I still like fast even though I am in my 50s now Mr. Green

JimD-

I kind of find it hard to understand why they would test with engines that weigh 110 lbs each* more than the 150's they probably thought they'd wind up with. Seems the added weight would throw the test off quite a bit. But anything is possible! Maybe they thought the cat could take 400 HP!

How fast could you go with a pair of 300's? (Just kidding of course.)

Joe.

150= 478 lbs
200= 588 lbs
(long shaft versions)

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intial TC 255 testing is well documented on this list--and it was with Honda 130's or 150's--not 200's.

The Suzuki 150's and 175's are basically the same engines. I would see no real reason why one could not use the 175's--and get a little more top end speed. But I would not do it--because the 150's give adequate speed. The forces on the transom are related to the weight of the engines, as well as the hp, the sea state and characteristics of the hull as it goes thru the water.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the line between planing and displacement speeds are difficult on a TC 255. Many cats are displacement or semidisplacement hulls and do not plane. If the Tom Cat didn't drag the bridge deck it would act more like the "normal" semidisplacement cat.

We spent several hours running the boat at planing down to displacement speeds. We found that trimming the bow down at 20 to25 knots decreased the effeciency by decreasing the speed slightly and requiring more fuel. We noted that as the boat become less effecient, the rooster tail decreased. As we dropped the speed, we could keep the boat semi planing down to about 9 knots. But there was dramatic change in the quarter wave and in the power required to keep the boat at that speed--thus the effeciency dropped to half of what it was at 20 knots.

For a boat to plane, it must climb over its bow wave, and as this occurs the quarter wave (which is "wake" as we normally define it)--decreases.
As we brought the boat down to the lower speeds, the wake (quarter wave) became very large--over 3 feet--vs only a few inch wake at high speeds. Fuel consumption went from 2.3 miles a gallon to less than one mile a gallon. Also at a definative speed of 9 to 10 knots (with the bow trimmed fully down), there was a large amount of water pushed up around the outboards--well half way up the cowlings. When we tried to turn at this ineffecient speed, this wave was actually pushed up on the motor bracket and slopped some of the wake into the cockpit.

My conclusion is that my boat will not plane at 8 knots--and at 8 to 10 knots the boat is running in a displacement mode, not a planing mode, despite being able to keep the bow down. The tunnel was not clear at these speeds.
JimD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Impressive. That pretty much answers any questions I might ever have about the TC, TNX! Thumbs Up
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim D,

Another thought is that a lightly loaded TomCat can go pretty fast with the 150's, even at below max throttle. We were showing 39 Knots at about 5300 rpm and that feels pretty darned fast in moderate seas in a boat that size. It'd be tough enough to dodge a log at that speed!

John
JimD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Jim D,

Another thought is that a lightly loaded TomCat can go pretty fast with the 150's, even at below max throttle. We were showing 39 Knots at about 5300 rpm and that feels pretty darned fast in moderate seas in a boat that size. It'd be tough enough to dodge a log at that speed!

John

Hehe this is mostly an exercise in "because I can" As a teenager in the late 60s early 70s we were putting the tall Merc 115-135s on things like my 15 foot Wagemaker(so we could barefoot ski), and 12 foot hydroplanes. Although the static down force from the weight was ok just sitting there and moderate accelleration to wot was ok...the surge torque from a 135 at 0 - wot on a 12 footer could snap the transom like match stick on some of those old boats, and over time create fatal stress cracks on others.
I really like the Tomcat, and even as I am in my 50s now, there are times that I would like to be able to wot out to well over 43 knots. ( my boat will do a little over 40 knots on the gps now with one person)
Having said that, nobody really needs to go faster than 39 on the water CoolSmile
I have narrowed my search to either a Tomcat or a CD-25.
I am having "discussions" with my wife now, as she wants a "cave" boat ( I despise them) , and if she sees this post, I am sure that a CD-25 will be much more to her liking than the Tomcat. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: