The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Motor size for Tom Cat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onwater4fun

City/Region: Eastern
State or Province: ON
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Motor size for Tom Cat Reply with quote

We will be buying a Tom Cat and would like suggestions or experience input with regard to motor size. We do not fish but cruise long distance 95% of the time at 6-7MPH. We would like to equip our Cat with motors that would offer good economy while putting but would be powerful enough to cruise on plane when necessary. Idea Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider the Tom Cat 255 as a boat for long distance cruising at 6 to 7 knots. My experience is because of the drag of the bridge deck being in the water, the mileage at 7 knots is the same as at about 24 knots. Also the Tom Cat needs to get up on a plane to be on top of the waves for the smooth ride.

The boat in the Chesapeake which I belive is still for sale, has used 115 Suzuki's--the 115's and 90's seem to work fine on the 24's. I feel that the 255 is a better boat with the 150's. The reason is that it is more responsive--when you have to drop down speed, it gets up on a plane a little quicker. I am sure that some will feel that 115 hp per side, is OK and many will vote for the 130's. However, the mileage seems to be about the same for 115 to 150's. (Don't know of any 175's--but suspect it would be similar with that power).

If you want the slow speed seriously consider the C Ranger tug 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a C-Dory 25. Runs well at 7 knots, and is 1/2 the price. Same size cabin as the Tom Cat, except for the v-berth.

Boris
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Tomcat Reply with quote

I can keep on plane with my TomCat 255 as low as 8 -10kts with permatrims.... you can get just as good mpg at 15kts too..the 25 C-Dory is goes for 70 k.....the TomCat 100k but the TomCat is TWICE the Boat......
I went with 150 Hondas because they get about the same MPH as the 130 or less....its not how much horsepower you HAVE that is you MPG..its how much HP you USE to push x amount of weight
Plus Honda will finance your WHOLE BOAT including electonics..trailer...for 6% 15year

Dick
255 TomCat
ShirleyMae
Orinda
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, the hull shape has much more wetted surface at hull speeds than planing speeds, thus less efficient. However, Brent and Dixie on Discovery have used a single engine at slow speeds for cruising efficiently in smooth water (they have Honda 135's).

The Honda 150 pretty much behaves as a 135 until you get the rev's up. It is really nice to have that extra power when storms are nearing, or have already caught up with you.

I have 150's and feel that's the best available at the time.

However..... with the TomCat's sensitivity to aft weight, if they were available, I'd be looking really close that the new Evinrude E-Teks.... they are hundreds of pounds lighter than the four strokes and no break-in, no 20 hour maintenance, no 200 hour maintenance.... That would be nice.

John
JimD

City/Region: Chesterfield (James River)
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between a Honda 150 and an E-Tec 150 is only 59 lbs (20") or 58 lbs (25") So times 2 it is 118 or 116 lbs..I guess significant on a stern sensitive tomcat. (the weight issue gets very noticable when comparing to the Verado) The big weight to power ratio occurs when using twins on a non cat. For example, when using 2 Hondas to achieve a total of 150 hp @ 384 lbs ea. for a total weight of 768 lbs vs a single 150 @ 478 lbs. Now THAT is significant! Lower mpg too. Of course the peace of mind and slight mauverability (they are closer together than say on a tomcat which REALLY gains low speed manuverability from 2 engines) increase are the tradeoff.
My offshore buddies tell me that low end torque on a 4 stroke make riding the throttle in large swells almost a thing of the past, whereas it is a must on a 2 stroke.
Having said that, I am a 2 stroke geek all the way, having had 2s all the way back to the 60's and seen them hold up as long as 40 years with minimal maint.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim -

I had not realized there was such a small weight difference on the Honda/E Tek comparison. You imply that the Verado is different. Is the Verado heavier?

John
JimD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Jim -

I had not realized there was such a small weight difference on the Honda/E Tek comparison. You imply that the Verado is different. Is the Verado heavier?

John

Yeah, the Verado 150 weighs in at 510 lbs Rolling Eyes ( hehe maybe a lot more alternator) Mr. Green
JimD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Jim -

John

I am no gearhead, but being a teen in the late 60's early 70's I had a "hot rod" and was really into cars. We used to "blow" (supercharge) in order to get more hp for a given size (displacement) of engine.
Maybe someone can explain to me what possible point it is for a Verado of any given horsepower to weigh more than any other manufacturer's? Power to weight ratio is most important in boating both for performance and economy. I know materials are far better now, but even so a "blown" engine works harder and develops more heat so it's life is still shorter, albeit maybe not like the old days.
I guess (I don't know) a supercharged engine would have better hole shot (smoother power curve)? Well, real skiers and wakers use specialized inboards. That leaves what; drag racers and bass fishermen? Razz
Plus the Verado costs alot more. Cry

Last edited by JimD on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with low speeds is if one goes much over 6 to 7 knots, there is a fair amount of drag and turning effect of the single motor.

Some what contradictory is that although the widely spaced motors of the Tom Cat should give much more maneuverablility, the "keel" effect of the two narrow hulls tends to resist turning, so one has to use a fair amount of power to manuever with just the twins (not using changing direction of the props by steering)--so I tend to steer as I do with a single motor. The effect of twins seems much more with inboards than with the two outboards of the Tom Cat.

Good question if one put a much lighter engine on the boat if the bridge deck would be clear of the water. My neighbor has a TC 24 and his bridge deck also drags with twin 115 Yahamas, so I suspect that one would have to get well dtown in HP (weight) to get the tunnel clear aft. I haven't seen one of the Tom Cats with no engines. But if you wanted to run at only displacement speeds, than you could consider mounting only a single engine--that would get the weight way down--and with 25 to 40 hp you would get speeds of 7 knots or maybe a bit more with excellent economy....but then, you have lost the real feature of the Tom Cat--which is speed. (in my opinion).

I don't see the TC as being "twice the boat" as a CD 25--the TC does have a bigger bunk and I believe a bigger cockpit--but if one only wanted displacement speeds, the CD would be considerably cheaper with a small single engine....
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're discussing Honda motors, let me try this one, an honest question. When we bought the CD-25, we were offered the Honda 135, but I went for the Honda 150.

Now these engines are both the same motor; as near as I can figure out it's the Accord 4 cyl set on end. Honda claims the difference in horsepower comes from "V-Tech" and Scott Reynolds claimed it's only good over 4000 rpm, a number I rarely see. Honda has never defined what V-Tech is, though they charge $850 for it.

I just read that on a motorcycle V-Tech lets the engine run on 2 valves/cyl at low rpm, and uses 4 valves over 4000 rpm. That wouldn't let an engine go from 135 to 150 hp but it might increase the bottom end torque.

Anyone know what V-Tech is on an outboard? I assume it's some change in the intake, but what exactly is it?

Boris
JimD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go here http://www.honda-marine.com/outboardprofessor.aspx# and choose "vtec" on the right column
If you rarely see 4000 rpm at wot then change your prop pitch. If you just cruise slowly then have fun!
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: TomCat's sensitivity to aft weight? Reply with quote

TomCat's sensitivity to aft weight ?????
I have not noticed any ....if fact I think alittle more weight would help in the aft......I could trim the bow down a little for a change instead of negative and up.

Dick
"ShirleyMae"
JimD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TomCat's sensitivity to aft weight? Reply with quote

squidslayer wrote:
TomCat's sensitivity to aft weight ?????
I have not noticed any ....if fact I think alittle more weight would help in the aft......I could trim the bow down a little for a change instead of negative and up.

Dick
"ShirleyMae"

I had always heard that..never having ridden one myself Mr. Green I think some would like to see the aft "bridge" out of the water at displacement speed cruising?
hehe did you see my post in another section where I used the Shirley Mae as my template for my perfect boat pending my lottery win? Xmas Naughty
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not characterize the Tom Cat 255 has being sensitative to weight aft--it does with the 150 hp engines--but if you start adding more weight aft it may change the handling characteristics. The issue is that the tunnel is not open at low speeds--the boat has to be on a plane before the tunnel is open and air can pass thru. The cushion of air allows a pillow like affect. If the bridge deck is dragging (which it does) there is more resistance to progress thru the water, and there is more propensity to slap when you hit a wave. Many of the other cats have air under the bridge deck and the tunnel is open at displacment speeds, giving a better ride.

The trimming bow down brings the stern up and opens the tunnel, but only at planing speeds. We will have to so some photos at different speeds (from another boat)--to see at what speed exactly the tunnel opens up. I will be very surprised if it is open at 8 knots, even with the bow fully trimmed down. But I'll document what I find with photos--have friends from the PNW arriving tomarrow, and that will be a good oportunity to do some tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: