The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing trailer empty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Towing trailer empty Reply with quote

Here's an issue that probably won't come up often, but I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

I'm towing an empty trailer over 800 miles in the near future. Didn't think this would be a big deal, but when bringing it home from the manufacturer a while back, I was in for a rude surprise.

On many freeway surfaces, the thing bucks like a crazed bull. It transfers all of this energy to the truck, and the ride is viscious. Even slowing down to 50 MPH didn't help much when I hit these sections of freeway. My guess is, an empty trailer is wound up like a clock; the suspension is designed to be carrying a bunch of weight, and with nothing there, it's like a big, heavy bouncing ball.

Perhaps letting some air out of the tires would help? Without any load on the trailer, I'd think I could reduce the pressure significantly without risk. If I don't come up with something, it's going to be a long and painful ride...

Don't suppose anyone has a 22 C-Dory that needs a ride from CA to WA? I'd gladly deliver one for free just to get some weight back there... Mr. Green

Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

You're not driving no Chevy, not even a Dodge. Why not just get a couple of ski racks on the Ford and load it on the roof where it belongs. Outside of that a little less air or maybe even one axle without wheels might be the way to go. Jim the long haul expert may be able to jump in here but it seems to me that you see a number of big new tractor cabs going down the road on delivery with some wheels removed for the tow.good luck with whatever you come up with and have a safe trip.

P.S. Should I mail this C-Brats decal to E.Q. to hold for you?

Tim

Da Nag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim,

Good idea on the wheels; I'll check with Pacific and get their feedback on that.

And yeah - having the sticker at E.Q. would be great. Les already has my new decals, and it just seems fitting that a little C-Brat paraphernalia be present on her as well when she gets her bottom wet for the first time.

Thanks!
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tim. I Think the idea of removing the wheels on one of the axles is a good idea. less bouncing surface.
Jim

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I know - take the front tire off one side and the rear tire off the other! Then when it bounces from side to side, the landing will counteract the launching and she'll smooth right out. Kinda like trim tabs.

Or, you could just have Dana ride on the trailer. No, wait, she's pretty skinny, so that wouldn't help any. Maybe strap one of your dogs to each fender?

I'll tell you this, had you got yourself a King trailer with their patented load-sensing torsion suspension system, you wouldn't be having these problems. Kay and Karla towed the new TyBoo trailer home from Les' house empty, and they had no problems. Not even on Fred's favorite stretch of I-5. And that was with the little bitty Jeep. They got a little nervous right off the bat when they noticed how narrow the Deception Pass bridge is, but Kay just closed her eyes and went for it.

I think the suggestion of putting the trailer on the truck instead of behind it is the best plan. Les has a Hyster to take it down. But then, that might be asking a bit much of a Ford.

Last edited by TyBoo on Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you can ship the trailer Fed Ex, and have Jim haul it up. Then you only have to tow it as far as Medford.
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Wow, all that work on the TyBoo this week really got the (I been workin' fo da man) kinks out eh? I feel sorry for any springer on the end of your line Shocked.

Jon

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Remove Wheels - Good Idea... Reply with quote

I think the wheel removel idea is good, and will probably reduce some of the bounce. If you want to remove all the bounce, try removing both the wheels from the SAME side!
I'll guarantee the bounce will be removed! hee, hee, hee...

Laughing
Casey
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drop my air pressure when hauling my empty trailer to get a smoother ride and it helps. I haven't pulled a pair of wheels but expect that would be a plus as well, and might do the job for you. My trailer is an EZ Loader with the torsion suspension 4300#, so it's probably not a great comparison to your 5000# with the different suspension. It seem to drag pretty well with just the softer tires.

Have a safe trip and on the way up to EQ, relish the thought of the load you'll be bringing back. That will be enough to keep the juices flowing!

jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, FedEx.did Bill win the lottery? Actually I think Bill needs the road time, Just kidding ,Bill !! Sounds you will get it figured out... I'll be on the look out for ya,just in case....
Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I think I'll try reducing the air in all four tires this weekend, and seeing how that works out. If it's not enough, I'll consider removing a set of wheels - on the non-brake axle, of course... Laughing

Actually, that just gave me another idea. I wonder if the bouncing is activating the surge brakes - that might explain the nasty bucking. If so, perhaps I should figure out a way to disable the brakes for the trip up. With a beefy truck and an empty, light trailer, I wouldn't think this would be too risky; I towed a 6x8 enclosed cargo trailer for years that was about the same weight when loaded, and it had no brakes at all.

There's a lock-out lever for the surge brakes; it prevents the tongue from pivoting and engaging the surge cylinder. Under normal operation, it won't stay in the locked-out position once you start driving, but I could probably figure out a way to keep it engaged for the trip up.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I had a situation some years back where I rented a trailer with surge brakes in Sequim to haul a small car to Seattle. My tow rig was a 3/4 ton Suburban. Between the Ryder rental in Sequim and my place on Woodcock Rd., maybe 3 miles tops, I experienced a similar situation. The hitch I had on the Suburban was not a HD drawtite type but rather a more modest bolt on variety. I thought it would be ok because I had hauled some fairly heavy trailers without any brakes. Well, this trailer with the surge brakes bucked something fierce. Broke the hitch in two places. I took the trailer back to Ryder, had the hitch welded up and Ryder gave me
another trailer (with surge brakes) and I made the trip to Seattle w/o
any problem. I and Ryder felt the fault was in the surge brakes on that particular trailer. In my particular case it had to be those particular brakes on the 1st trailer because the replacement was fine. Empty or loaded.

Don't know if this helps, or it parallels your experience but at least now you won't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've been there!

It didn't register with me that you were getting "violent" bucking until I read your last post, but my experience (above) was nasty enough to be scary.
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

I agree with 2nd byte. Something is wrong somewhere. Your trailer should tow like a dream when empty. If your tongue height is proper I'd be looking real hard at your surge setup.
just my 2 cents.
I have a King trailer with surge brakes, when going down the road I don't feel the trailer at all when empty.

Don't ask me how I know this, but if your drop hitch is to low it will cause the tandem trailer to jerk you around.

Da Nag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll call Pacific on Monday - last thing I need is to pick up a new boat 800 miles from home with a problematic trailer.

Only reason I'd be a little surprised if there was a problem - the bucking completely depends on the road surface, and whether or not the trailer is bouncing. On the concrete sections of freeway (rougher), it bucks, but I can see the thing dancing up and down in my rear view mirror; the up/down wouldn't be happening with weight on it.

When the road smooths out, it tows fine. Still - I'll let Pacific make the call, and I'll get out for another test drive tomorrow on a local, particularly nasty stretch of freeway with the tire pressure reduced...
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information on this site amazes me. It doesn't make any difference what the problem, or topic, is. Around here if you got a problem, you're never alone and stranded. Always a little jibbing and kidding but mixed in is real help. Sometimes as first hand experiance and others as a simple group hanging out at the pub brainstorming. The incredible thing too is how well an issue gets covered.

Bill, I do believe if you don't get things right before departure that somebody actually Would come get that trailer. Good luck with the sorting but I'm leaning to a brake system problem. Up here we seem to haul empty trailers home for some distance after sticking the boat in the marina for extended time periods. Doesn't seem to be a topic that's been an issue for others and if it were it would have surfaced before.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: