The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/01 - 06/04 - Connecticut River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: CT River Gathering Reply with quote

The CT River cruise/gathering was a lot of fun. We left Maine in cold light rain with lousy weather predicted for the next few days. By the time we launched in Old Saybrook, it was sunny and hot.

As Carol and I were launching Hunky Dory, a familiar face turned up to help with lines. What a surprise to see John Cameron from New Hampshire, who came down with Fred Heap for the gathering. Unfortunately, Fred actually believed the weather report of rain for the next few days, so he didn’t bring his boat! I knew those Massachusetts guys were wimps, but I didn’t think they were naïve! Since the others weren’t expected for a while we went to lunch at Vinnies’ fish house. Between John and the waiter we were kept in stitches thru out a pleasant lunch.

By the time we finished lunch, there were 3 more C-Dory’s launching at the ramp, and the Aube’s were there to leave a car for our use ( Thanks, Dan & Barb). Old Lyme Marina (OLM) is only a stone’s throw from the launch ramp, so we checked in there. OLM planned for a Breakfast and Open House for Saturday, and provided moorings.

Then, Greg Daigle, of “Mini C” lead us to a party on Selden Island where we beached our boats and had snacks ( from Rod) and Beverages ( from Fred & John). It’s strange to be on an isolated island on the CT River only a few miles from urban businesses. We had a new fun experience in our C-Dory.

Thunder storms were threatening, so we hustled back to our moorings. Just made it. So, we each sat waiting out the rain for awhile ( and had snacks and beverages), til Dun taxied us all into the marina. The “Ripple” crew, Dougal & Jennifer, joined us. From there, we went to the Griswold Inn in Essex by cars for a fancy dinner. Again, John entertained us all, and we got to acquaint ourselves with the new C-Dory people.

Saturday AM, OLM rounded up the Brats in their launch, and put on a great breakfast spread. OLM & Christine had all flavors of C-Dorys to tour, and some Seaways, too. Bruce, the C-Dory rep, was there to greet us. After poking and prodding all the latest C-Dory changes, we headed up the CT River for a day of cruising. Weather was in high 80’s and sunny, despite the prediction of clouds and rain! Too bad you didn’t bring your boat, Fred!

First, we hit Essex. Crescent Girl led us into the back pond. So calm, and with Swans drifting around with manicured lawns and New England style white church steeples in the background. Luckily, we always got to Essex when the shops were closed. Carol hasn’t recovered from shopping deprivation, yet. Mike, of Knot Flying, was drooling over the Nordic Tugs. And Carol and Jennifer were getting whiplash trying to get good photos.

Next was Hamburg Cove. I’ve read about this place for over 40 years. It’s the perennial favorite anchorage in this area. It’s a nice winding river with fancy homes and swans (again). It’s nice, but it isn’t as good as our Maine anchorages.

Heading up river, we saw the Gillette Castle, and the Chester to Selden Ferry. Then we cruised into Selden Creek. Greg’s friend Rod told us that it would be like the African Queen scenery. And, he was right. What a gorgeous narrow winding stream, with Irises lining the banks, and varied topography, including small rock cliffs. At the pond, we carefully navigated by sight between mud banks, and got thru. My Propeller is nice and shiny, now!

Then, we hit the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam. This is another CT River jewel that I’ve read about for years, and wanted to see. Although signs warned that we weren’t supposed to dock there, Dun did, and found out that they’d probably tolerate us. So, 4 C-Dory’s rafted up to go the Opera. Bet you never thought you’d read that! Well, actually, we passed up the Opera, and went to the local watering hole ( after all, it was now sunny and in the 90’s).

With more thunder storms threatening on NOAA, we headed back to OLM. Toured Deep River, but the Steam train wasn’t running, though the Steam Boat was there. At OLM, most of the the Brats did a B-Bque, while Carol and I went to an Inn. The predicted weather for Sunday Night and Monday precluded doing the Long Island Forks and Shelter Island portion of our cruise.

So, our CT River cruise gathering ended on Sunday Morning when we hauled our boats and headed home. It was another terrific C-Dory/Brat gathering/cruise. Just for the record, the participants were:
Crescent Girl Dun & Becky Smith
Knot Flying Mike and Jessica Rizzo
Inn the Water ( In spirit) Fred Heap & John Cameron
Mini C Greg Daigle
Ripple Dougal & Jennifer Gardyne
Hunky Dory Carol & Rick Stambaugh
Happy Ours Dan, Barb and Kaitlyn Aube

Rick and Carol from Maine
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we all had a great time and many laughs. It was good to show some of our old stomping grounds to out-of-towners and new C-Brats. The weather coopertated for two days, but Tropical Depression Barry moved up the coast rapidly and canceled the second half of our cruise. So Fred, you were half right Wink

Thanks to Christine and the crew at Old Lyme Marina for the great hospitality. These are good folks, and eager to show their C-Dorys to all comers.

Mike and Bill, if we can have a photo album, we will post some pictures.

Thanks to all,

Dun (CTYankee)
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTYankee wrote:

Mike and Bill, if we can have a photo album, we will post some pictures.

Thanks for the pictures! Here it is.

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: CT River Gathering Reply with quote

Ooh! Ooh!

You guys have created a monster. I finally was able to upload some photos! Apparently my PC security stuff stopped conflicting with C-Brats.

I've posted some photos that show places we went. Unfortunately, I didn't take any group photo's. So, you'll have to wait for Dun to post some

Rick from Maine
ripple

City/Region: Mill Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos Rick. I got a couple of good shots out of the dozens that we shot. I will post some that aren't duplicates of yours when I get home from work tonight...

Dougal
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip, folks! So glad the weather co-operated. We cruised in spirit with you - our trip up the river a few years ago, and not a C-Dory in sight -- we had sailing friends, as our companions. And a meal at the Griswold -- oh such great memories!! Thanks for the virtual trip with you folks --
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I would like to thank all the great folks on the Conn River Trip. John had a great time.

INN THE WATER is now on Nantucket awaiting launching in to the harbor.

Many thanks to Old Lyme Marine for their hospitality. To Rick and Carol for adding me to their crew on Friday, and to all the new friends I met and dined with at the Griswell Inn in Essex.

Also thanks to all Dun and Becky for their leadership, friendship and launch service.

Fred

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Just an added point. At the state launch ramp at Old Saybrook under the RT 95 Bridge, there were NO rubbish cans. There was a sign that said "Take your rubbish with you." There was no sign of any rubbish in the area. The launch area was very clean. I think they are on to something. Do rubbish cans atract rubbish? In this case, the lack of Rubbish cans kept the rubbish away.

Interesting.

Fred
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to posting a few more pictures of our cruise. Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: