The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Any 19' C-Dory owners in SW FL ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beradon

City/Region: CAPE CORAL
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Any 19' C-Dory owners in SW FL ? Reply with quote

I think a 19 footer would probably be the "perfect " boat for our needs but they're so damn unconventional I can't buy without a demo ride. My local dealer (Bulldog Boatwerks)will give me a test drive but it doesn't seem right since I'm looking at one of the used one listed here. . I'm in Cape Coral, about 10 minutes from Ft Meyers or Matlacha but driving an hour or two isn't a problem

Not looking for as free ride-I'll be glad to fill your tanks, buy you dinner or anything reasonable. My e-mail; beradon@embarqmail.com. THANKS!
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have been poking around since Nov06 looking for your boat, with ranges of 19-22...and/or an Ari ma boat. You really need to get on the water before you know IF THE BOAT DOES WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

Hook back up with the dealership. Be straight with them. Find out where the 19 Anglers they have sold went.... if they are not in the area, go ahead and take them up on the test run. The boats once ran, need to be ran every now and then anyway...and that is what they do for a living. Nothing says you can not give them a tip, buy them a nice dinner, or give them a little bequest. Cash is good...and very very rarely have I seen it turned down when someone is willing to help me actualy ride in a boat from a dealership. Work together. Go ride the boat.... or... just watch for gatherings in your area and see what boats sign up. The 19 is a new hull...and there are not many of them out there... The chances are better with a bit of driving on your part for a used 19 Ari ma...but have you sea trialed one of them yet either?

IF you are serious about buying one of the used ones for what it is advertised for...go see the boat, and before making the trip, just tell the person you want to sea trial it for sure. IF you are just in the dreaming about mode...and getting an education... back to the dealership. That is what these guys do for a living....

You are about to miss some great weather/water/fishing times in your area. It is good not to make a quick, uninformed purchase...but...

Nov06-Apr07... that is 6 months of what looks like serious boat-itus. Like all of us...you are going to wake up dead one day. Grab life, and the boat while you are kicking about on this earth....and GO BOATING... if ya just want to shop...go the malls... and just keep dreaming of the boats.

NOTE: I HAD TO BUST UP THE BRAND NAME ARI MA BECAUSE IF I TYPED IT AS ONE WORD...THE LINK TO THEIR OWNERS GROUP AUTOMATICALLY POPPED IN. HUMMMM

Happy Boat Buying!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Beer CoolSmile
Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Byrdman is right on, but if you are still uncomfortable with talking to the dealer come on down to Naples and I can provide you with a ride on on 22 Angler (Close to the 19 Style) and a 22 Cruiser....it won't cost you more then the right arm of your first born and lunch.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thought.... is I have the last 18 Angler made, and you could come join us on the Cumberland River Cruise last of this months (see Event Signups link on top of the site).... and/or... I will be back down in the Eastpoint/Appilachicola Bay FL area between now and then...getting the insides of C-Byrd tricked out and finished up. Had to take a break and sell some more hub caps and beer cans before finishing the boat up. Mr. Green
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come see us in Eastpoint and I will take you out on ours [ CD19] as well as see if we can get you a ride on an Arima [ we are the only dealer in the S.E.] . No strings attached !
Marc

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Mike up on his offer, but make him take you to Skyway Chili for lunch!

I can't imagine buying a boat without getting out on one first. Lunch and gas is a friendly offer; attending a gathering so you can see how people actually use these boats is also a great idea. Starting a good relationship with a dealer is also smart, 'cause eventually you will want parts, service, another boat, etc... and they may have that used boat you are looking for that they've taken in trade. The important thing is to take the next step from the dreaming stage and get out on the water. Good luck with your search... it took us months and then a trip to Seattle to get to see these boats - and it was all worth it.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: boat ride Reply with quote

come on down to Naples either Mike or myself can take you out on a 22 cruiser or a 22 angler no charge Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
beradon

City/Region: CAPE CORAL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Yes Byrdman, you are right Reply with quote

Over the last couple of months I have been trying to decide what boat will work out best for the wife and I. I would allready be on the water but I had just a couple of things to do first

1. Sell my PA house
2. Find and buy a suitable house in Florida
3. Close on both houses
4. Move entire contents of home and 2 vehicles to florida
5. Move / sell complete woodworking & metal shop tools & equipment
6. Set up & furnish new house & shop
7. All the miscellaneous stuff it takes to become a Floridas resident

Yes it took several months and it will be several more months before I have time to go boating, but I want to narrow down my choices so when I'm ready to buy, I don't have to waste time looking. I plan to own another boat within 3-4 months but there are things that must be done first. I am 100% retired at 56 and when the work is done, I'll work hard at having fun
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: give a call Reply with quote

Im off on vacation untill 4/17 so come on down to naples we can go out for lunch or so 239-269-9537Jim
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the 100% retired club. I have not had a watch on since 1145am, 14Jan05....when I found out at was in uniform and at the office and did not have to be once they recalucated my retirement and transition days. It took me all of about one wake up.... to put my boat shoes and shorts on, grab and put on my Costal Del Rays...cause they fit my boating atire uniform perfectly....filled the cooler...and spent about 3-4 days on beautiful Lake Martin.... at the age of 45.

Yep, I can understand part of your delays in the purchase of a boat. Part of them. I too have done the changing of the state and properties...and still have boxes in the garage to the point we can not get either vehicle in there, and a local storage building full of "stuff"....as George Carlin would say... and your comments today have truly helped me with my schedule.

Thank you. ...(sorry... I'd call you by name...but as far as I can see you've not included it.)

Right after some of the new furniture is delivered this morning replacing the furniture that was fine in our other home...but "did not fit right" in this home... I feel the urge to go get on C-Byrd... and do some measuring...and get some stuff ready for our gathering...and now that I plan to join some folks in Pensacola for the boat show.... I gotta get busy with my boat.... while stepping over these many boxes.

Take some folks up on the offers...and life life fully!! Hope to meet and travel the waters with you some day..and the offer for the Cumberland river gathering is still wide open.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes Byrdman, you are right Reply with quote

beradon wrote:
Over the last couple of months I have been trying to decide what boat will work out best for the wife and I. I would allready be on the water but I had just a couple of things to do first

... I plan to own another boat within 3-4 months but there are things that must be done first. I am 100% retired at 56 and when the work is done, I'll work hard at having fun

Been there, done that, don't have room for another t-shirt, but I have no tanline where there USED to be a watch, either! I looked at your list... yep, lots to do. Interestingly enough, since you seem to be a "to do list" kinda guy, perhaps you could rearrange some priorities and consider putting:

"Get a BOAT" (and a C-Dory would be a nice pick) at the TOP of that list! You will be amazed at how the rest of the stuff on the list becomes less important. Wink We left south Texas less than 2 weeks after moving here (after selling a business, property, home, two vehicles, a sailboat, most of our worldly possessions, etc, etc) to head to the NW to pick up our new boat.

Now, you may know that we just interrupted our cruising to take care of another move... and it isn't ANYWHERE CLOSE to being as much fun as playing around on our boat!

Gotta run - going to get Wild Blue back in the water!

Good luck with those priorities,
Jim B.

Last edited by JamesTXSD on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us (including people retired at age 56) would put that boat at the top of the priority list! Heck there are millions of good houses out there, but not that many good boats!

I finally retired at 56--after having taken several mid life sebaticals--and thought out very carefully about "the" boat, "the" car, "the" RV which would do me the rest of my life--and 15 years later have been thru about 8 boats (including runabouts, but not dinghies) 5 RV's and at least as many cars--you will find that your needs and priorties will change as you get older, or as interests change. Its no different than when you were working--just a lot more things to do!

Be sure that you test the boat in rough conditions--that goes for all boats--which are similar to what you will have at your new home.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: