The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another new trimtab believer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Bennett are a better trim tab. At the Van Boat show the first year we saw the Cdorys I asked the sales rep about the Lencos and he said then that they were going back to Bennett tabs because there were less problems. I did measure my tabs they are 9X18, like I said, they were just to good a deal to pass up. Got the wiring redone and adjusted the switch mounting hole. Was up to the cabin on the weekend and tabs worked great. Very happy with the investment.
Jimbo
Roger; Sorry I didn't get any pix taken, will try next time I'm at the boat.
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't occur to me to mount the pump on the cockpit shelf. That really opens things up! I looked at the transom again. There is about 18" from the motors leg to the inside of the reverse chine. Bennett reccomendes that the tab be placed 8" outboard of the leg. They also spec the tab be 3"-4" inside of the chine. The M120 tab is 10" wide. Lets review.
8"+10"+3"=21" OK where does a fella squeeze the margins? If I mount the 10" wide tab with the outside edge at the immediate inside of the chine, only the paddlewheel will have to be moved.
I know it'll work, I'm just panicking about drilling through the hull in the wrong places.
I 'spose it wouldn't be a dealbreaker to move both sensors but damn, that's a lot of holes.
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim Master Marine trim tabs are hydraulic, are offered in a 9"x12" size, one inch narrower than the M120,, and have a lifetime guarantee.
Anybody heard of 'em?
Try http://www.trimmaster.net/
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lencos big lure is their simpler installation, requiring only electrical connections to their motors.

However, the motors and screw-jack actuators are much more problematic when left under water for longer periods, particularly in salt water. Inevitably, some salt gets through the shaft seals.

The Bennett hydraulic design, though more complicated to install initially, is much less sensitive to water, since only hydraulic fluid and the two-way pistons are on the other side of the seals in their design.

IMHO, use of the Lencos should probably be limited to trailered boats and maybe even fresh water.

Tom at Bennett Trim Tabs is a legendary figure in quality factory service and technical advice.

The Bennett Trim Tabs on my Sea Ray have been moored and under fresh water for 18 years and work great.

Some designs are inherently superior and workable. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Remember to retract the tabs when moored so as to withdraw as much of the shaft as possible back into the protection of being inside the cylinders and bathed in oil.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twin Honda 40s with Bennett Trim Tabs and the paddlewheel transducer mounted roughly centerline between them. Their pump is to the starboard of the aft bilge pump between the fuel tanks. Seems to work well. I strongly encourage you to consider the auto retract and trim tab position indicator features...wish I had'em.
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere online I read that the position indicators aren't all that accurate. It was some annoymous opinion & we know about those.
Anyone here able to give us the straight dope on 'em? If they're reliable they would be a real help. I can't imagine not having trim guages on my twin engines. The auto retract feature sure would cut down on the number and quality of expletives uttered aboard.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Bennett M-120s with twin Honda 40s and, as Tyboo has said, believe they are made for the CD22. I also have the trim indicators, but not the auto-retract feature. I feel the trim indicators are quite accurate and rely on the digital display (0-20) more than the LED light bar. I wouldn't be without the indicators as otherwise I'd be constantly trying to exceed the limits of tab movement. I don't miss the auto-retract and simply have trained myself to retract the tabs (nearly) every time I shut the engines down.

As regards the HPU installation, I mounted mine on the inside back of the starboard lazarette. It's a bit of a tight installation, but once it's in, it's in and you'll probably never have to deal with it again. And the space it occupies there is otherwise totally unused.
Al

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennett has just started shipping the new EIC5000 switch which seems pretty slick to me. It is a 3-in-one switch combining the rocker switch function (bow down/up), the auto retract feature and the trim tab indicator.

An online store has a pretty good price for it but I understand they're still getting caught up on shipping out the orders. Here's the link.

EIC500

It's definitely on my wish list.

Peter
C-Dancer
AnchortownJim

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Coho
Photos: Coho
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milehog,

I have the Trimmaster trim tabs on Coho and they are GREAT! Can't compare them to the Bennett M-120s as I have only used the Trimmaster tabs but without any hesitation, I can recommend the Trimmaster trim tabs. Good product, good company to work with, excellent support if you need it.

Jim
Chester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone taking the time to hold my hand on this.
As suggested, I contacted The Tabman on The Hull Truth Forum. It turns out there is plenty room for trimtabs with twins. (Yes, I know, you guys already knew this.)
Don't know when I'll get to this, other projects have first dibs.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milehog,
I found the LED indicators to be reasonably accurate--enough that I could set them and they would be correct..It is just a general indication--about 6 LED's as I recollect--but it certainly lets you know if one tab is significantly different than another.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: