The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another new trimtab believer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Another new trimtab believer Reply with quote

In case anybody out there is still wondering if trim tabs on a Cdory are worth the money, THEY ARE!!!
I put mine on over the winter and tried them out last weekend when we went up to our cabin. Heading up Sat morning it was nice and calm so it gave me a chance to play with them. In good water it is about a 20 min run from the marina to the cabin. In bad water it can take up to an hour, at least it has in the past. One of our kids had to work Sunday AM so we headed out about 5PM to drop her off at the marina. As we came out of our sheltered bay we got hit with a head on wind and 3 foot chop. This would have been a 45 min run last year. I dumped the tabs full on got up on a plane and slowly eased them back. The differance was unbelieveable. where we would have had to throttle back and chug through this stuff last year and still take some pounding we stayed up on the plane and rode our way over them. We were at the marina in 30 min and Sher wasn't complaining about sore boobs!!!! I agree this is one of the best options that you should order on this boat. Only thing I need to do is reverse the solinoid switch wires My mind can't get it that pushing the starboard rocker switch down forces the starboard bow down. I need the starboard switch to lower the starboard tab. I think I remember somebody else commenting on this a while ago. Anyways, sorry I rambled but I am impressed.
Jimbo
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: tabs Reply with quote

they should be standard equipment when these boats were first used most of the boaters had 2 stroke eng 70hp-90hp a lot less weight with the new 90 4 strokes they are at least 100-150 lb more weight in the rear of our boats just like some of our owners.The Duck has the Lenco elec trim tabs 9by12 with a Bobs stabilizer like the permatrim but cheaper.I find the trim tabs was one of the best upgrades better then the stabilizer .This allows the captain to dial in the ride much better then just trimming eng works for me
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo,
I agree with you; I think trim tabs should be standard equipment. And also, I'm one of those "wired" the same way as you are re. their operation.
Al

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo-

Glad they work for you!

Are they Bennett M-120 Sport Tabs?

Are you using them with the motor trim alone, or do you have a hydrofil on the anti-ventilation plate?

Do you think that trim-tab position indicators would be necessary or valuable?

Whatever kind you have, do they retract upward fully when you turn the power off?

Sugggestion from the far side:

After you get the wires reversed, place a graphic drawing above and below the rocker switches:

1. Firm boobs on the bow-down side.

2. Floppy boobs on the bow-up side.

(Never hurts to laugh a bit!) Teeth

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you mount the trim tabs on the 81 ????
I have a 83 and it has a curved transom and I came to the conclusion that I would need to fabricate some wedges that would be inserted between the transome and the tab mount to keep from binding and also to keep it tracking true.
could you post some pics of your tabs and how they are mounted

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of the switches, when wired the most common way, as
pushing down a corner of the boat. If I want to push down the
stbd side of the bow, I push the upper half of the stbd switch.
Push down the transom? Push both bottom halves of the switches.

Once you think about it in these terms, you probably won't get
confused. I get confused about lots of things, but I've managed
to usually get this correct (you should see me try to back a trailer.
And I know about hand on bottom of wheel, turn in direction
you want boat to move...what I can say?)

Mike
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you. Been working late all week.
Moose
Glad to know I am not the only "backwired" guy.
Seawolf
These are Bennett Trim Tabs. I'm not sure of their size, will get out to measure on the weekend. They are not the sport tabs as they don't have a bat wing on them. I think they are oversized for the boat but a local marine shop (Steveston Marine) was clearly out overstock before Xmas. I got them complete for 299.00 Cdn. I actually picked up 2 sets and will be putting a set on our 20' Regal next. I did get the auto retrac and really like it. Saves having to remember to pull them back up then we get to where are going. I didn't go for the indicators as I had heard that they are not that accurate and I think I can tell by how the boat is riding where the tabs are. As for motor trim well this is a 1988 Johnson 88 HP without motor trim. Yup... lift up by hand lower down by hand. It does have a hydrofoil on it and I haven't decided to leave it on or take it off. I will probably run part of the summer with it on and then take it off to see if there is a differance. I have picked up a used trim motor on Ebay but haven't had time to mount it yet. I like your idea of the Boob indicators!! Will have to work on that one!!!
Roger
When I mounted the hinges I was able to screw the 2 centre screws straight in as the transom was flat enough. On the outer holes I took stainless fender washers and stacked them between the transom and hinge until they were fairly tight. I had predrilled pilot holes and I pumped silicone from the tab side through the washers and into the hole. I then siliconed the screw and cranked it in. I realized that this left a gap on top so I pumped silicone right around the entire hinge assembly. So far so good. I will try and post some pix this weekend.
Mike
Sorry it is stuck in my mind port rocker switch down, port tab down.

Also want to warn everyone, when you install the rocker switches, make sure the cut out hole is big enough. Mine wasn't. Didn't realize this til we were on the water. I hit both the switches for bow down and let go. Starboard switch came up port one didn't. Suddenly we were in a full hard over port turn. I naturally hit the starboard switch (see note to Mike above) which retracted the port tab and we went into harder port turn!!!
Finally got all tabs back up and was careful from then on, but still dumped everybody out of their seats when it happened. I had played with the switches in my warm dry shop with no problems but once in the water I guess the plywood swelled just enough to pinch the switch. Aah the joys of new toys.
Jimbo
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Best upgrade Ucando Reply with quote

Trim tabs on C-Dory..(except TomCat) are the best thing since sliced bread!! I put them on my old boat a 22ft 1990 Angler ( sold last Dec Dec for what I paid for her!!) "the only way to fly!!
pay the extra for the LED trim tab indictators on the switches...VERY helpfull!!

Dick
255 Tomcat
"ShirleyMae
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that LED lights on the tabs are very much worth while--not only to see where the tabs are "now" but to pre set them as you get into rough water.

3 feet chop--is a lot for a CD 22--impressive.

Trim of any type--motor, tabs etc should become a reflex--and you should not have to think about what you are doing. Also fully retractable tabs when you turn off the ignition is an important feature.

Also be sure and trim the bow up when going down seas/waves.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
....Also fully retractable tabs when you turn off the ignition is an important feature.

Our honda mechanic was adamant that I shouldn't connect anything
to the engine harness, so I moved the auto-retract to the accessory
switch. Anyone else hear of this?

Mike
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have got me thinking about putting trim tabs on Chester.
Here's the thing. The boat has twin engines which take up room. On the starboard side of the transom are the paddlewheel and the sonar transducer. Where will these go? Anyone install their sensors on the centerline between the motors.? Squeeze one on each side?
Another issue is the placement of the hydraulic pump the Bennetts use. Chester has two water seperator-fuel filters mounted inside the transom between the tanks, dosen't leave much room. It would then be next to impossible to install a bilge pump in that location.
This has me thinking about installing Lenco's, though some people have expressed dissatisfaction with this brand. They are attractive to me because they don't have a pump to deal with. I've heard that Bennet's 120 tabs are a perfect fit. They measure 10" x 12". The Lenco website states that their actuaters will work with Bennet's tabs. I suppose a hybred could be built.
Any suggestions?
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab your tape measure and head on over
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but the wife just called and she's coming home in a few minutes. Another time perhaps?
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem, except for the twin fuel filters, we have about the same set up
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milehog:

I have the Sportab 120's on a CD-22. I found that the pump/reservoir fits perfectly tucked in the starboard shelf rear corner. I have the perko rod holders and the pump fits in behind the rod holder almost out of sight. The rod holder was lifted up to slide the pump in behind. It is well protected and easy to top off with fluid/service if ever needed. The hydro lines go straight out the rear of the pump right around the batteries and the corner of the boat to the cylinders. The wires run from the pump straight up the original wire loom to the cabin. Seems like the perfect location for it. Installation is a breeze.

I could click a pic if you want.

Everybody has their thoughts on the brand and here a few of mine.

The sport tab interlocking solid hinge seems far superior to the piano wire hinge of the other.

The turned down edges of the sport tab gives more lift for it's size and helps the flat bottom dory track better than a flat tab.

I wasn't sold on the exposed to the microbes screw jack design with electric motors being emersed in water. Salt water would add problems. Does anyone know if these motors add to electrolysis/corrosion problems? They say the screw jack will operate faster than the hydro version. Can you measure a nano-second?

If a cylinder seal needs replaced it can be changed without removing the cylinder from the boat.

The Bennett customer support is as good as any. Several users report replacement parts being offered at no cost/free shipping well after 5 years of ownership. Long after any written warranty. Read it on "The Hull Truth. The TabMan is the man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: