The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

So What Did You Do On or With Your Ranger Tug Today?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: So What Did You Do On or With Your Ranger Tug Today? Reply with quote

Following in the C-Brat tradition, I thought I'd start a new Ranger Tug topic.

Today, actually yesterday, we went down to Lake Union Sea Ray in Fife, and crawled all over our new Ranger 25 - Island Ranger, hull number 23. The Factory is done, now it is up to LUSR to apply the bottom paint, and check things out. We're also waiting for Dave (King Canvas) to install the canopy and enclosure. We're hoping to take delivery this Friday (Good Friday) if it is ready,otherwise, we're planning on Sunday (Easter). We're going to launch there, and take Island Ranger home to Cultus Bay on her own bottom - then come back to get the trailer later. Can't wait!

The boat is even more than we had hoped. We found storage places that we didn't know existed. There is a hanging rod in the mid-cabin berth that I never saw before. I know there is a radar reflector now mounted inside the stack which makes us show up as a big 40' boat on radar! I love the separate red cabin lights - but can't believe all the switches. The new battery wiring looks great, and they included a support block under the thru-hull fitting to prevent damage.

I know John had to take her out twice already to get the ST6002 S1G Autopilot working correctly, and although it was raining pretty hard, there is no sign that water has ever gotten into the bilge (or anywhere else).

What a beautiful boat!

And, to help us move on in our transition, Tyboo changed our login from Two Lucky Fish (which is now Tim's boat) to Island Ranger. Alaska here we come!

See you all at Lopez.

Mac & Linda
Previously : Two Lucky Fish
Now : Island Ranger
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Congratulations It is a Holy Week Reply with quote

Mac & Linda,

Congratulations on the progress of Island Ranger. I think it is so cool that you are going to head home on the water and pick up the trailer later. WTG

What all will LUSRF being doing to the boat - other than bottom paint and sea trials?

The timing is going to be just great to get some water under the hull before making the grand trip to alaska. I hope you will be able to post along the way.

Thanks for opening the New Thread.

Have a Holy Week!

Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the progress. Like you we are amazed at the amount of storage space that exists even if it isn't all as convenient as we'd like. What I miss most is not having any drawers so will be adding them.

Think it's cool that you are "driving" it home. Way to go. Will probably find a few things but the checkout on yours was undoubtably better than on earlier ones. LUSR is still learning as is the factory.

We are taking our first real sea trial this next week - probably starting tomorrow. Schedules/weather/stupidity/etc have taken a heavy toll on my patience but ...we finally have it all together (I hope) and will get off for a couple days. It doesn't count until the first mate says it's okay and she hasn't signed off yet.

I will send you a message about anything you need to watch for that we find this next week. Hopefully nothing major but little stuff maybe like the length of the drain hose on the built-in cooler - ours is - well, let's just say that it is too short.

Have fun - see you on the water.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac if you spring for gas I can pick you up at the ferry drive you down, grab your trailer and be back at your house before you with the trailer . just need the funds for gas. the ranger (which gets better milage ) will pull the trailer with out boat just find. Call me.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Congrats on getting the new baby all ready to go. I'll bet you can't wait for Friday to come. I'm sure looking forward to seeing her in Lopez.
Happy Cruising
Ron
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mac,
Congratulations on the new boat!

I will be waiting for pics from your Alaska trip.

Steve
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun is shining, it is 51 degrees, winds are calm, and I'm sitting at home. Sad But Island Ranger is almost complete. Very Happy

Yesterday King Canvas Dave installed the canopy, but didn't like the way the enclosure fit so he took it back to the shop for some changes. His crew is headed back down to LUSR to finish today. In the meantime, Jack has started painting the bottom. Looks like we are on track for Friday. Can't wait!
Mac
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Congratulations, I can feel your excitement in your posts, looking forward to seeing you at Lopez.

Old Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally - at last - yes, we did get a cruise on our new C-Ranger. Drove up to Olympia on Sunday and launched out of Swantown Marina for a couple hour shake down cruise up and down Bud Inlet. Spent the night at the marina and went out Monday morning for about four hours with no particular destination but lots of things to check out. Spent the afternoon in the marina messing with things and pulled out as the tide was going out on Tuesday morning. Nice spot only slightly marred by the time it takes to get out of Bud Inlet.

Engine purred and all the major sytems worked well. Nav gear worked quite well. Dealing with comfort issues but generally all was good. Onboard engine heat worked very well which was good because it was cold. Lots of good things to say about how things worked.

Top speed (full tanks, lightly loaded with supples, no dingy on board, two person crew) seemed to be just over 14.5 knots. At about 2/3rds throttle (2400 RPM), it seemed to find a groove at around 8.5 knots. Works for me - fast enough to get there, slow enough to see as Jimmy Buffet says.
Would have liked a couple knots faster but this is quite okay.

Nothing more than light chop (1 to 2 foot waves, small swells) encountered but seems very stable. Took much more water onto the windows than we were used to for the sea conditions so the windshield wipers are more important than expected. They are marginal. Think the use of Rain-X or something similar is going to be a necessity. Here in the PNW, no defrost capability will also be an issue. Hate installing fans but will have to do something.

Overall - first real sea trial was a huge success. Are we happy - you bet!! More to follow.
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Canopy Pics - Ranger 25 Reply with quote

Finally remembered to take some pictures of the canopy and enclosure on Island Ranger. They are in my album. The design looks great - easy access and it looks like there are multiple storage options although I haven't tried taking it down yet.

Mac
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your first outing, OldDog. Rain-X works well (we see a lot of water on the CD-25 windshield at slower speeds, as well). The outside stuff is more effective than the indoor (supposed to help with fogging) stuff. I haven't installed fans, but a portable (sometimes called personal or crew fan) fan works well for keeping the windshield clear. Ours operates on D batteries and also gets use in the v-berth on warm nights. We also use a small box fan that we got in the Wal-Mart camping section to move even more air; battery operated, but has an outlet to plug into the 12v

I'll be looking forward to more updates. We found Swantown a great place to spend time getting used to our boat. Mid-week, many of the transient slips were unoccupied... made for good docking practice.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Old Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD -

Good idea. On another boat we had a couple fans built-in and didn't really like them so a portable might just be the simple and better solution. Thanks - willl give it a try.

At this time of year, the transient slips at Swantown are quite empty so we did take advantage of it. Of course, in a moment of distraction and carelessness, I did manage to get blown into the end of a slip and put the first scuff marks on the hull. Only serious bruise was to the ego since the marks will buff out. Made me think that serious rub rails like on the Nordic Tug would be a nice feature on this boat.

Have fun,
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Do you have screens on your enclosure? (sides)
Guess I have some coming. Did you get the travel boot? Looks good.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no screens, nor did I get privacy curtains.

Mac
Island Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Canopy Pics - Ranger 25 Reply with quote

I took additional pictures of the canopy that Dave (King Canvas) and John Livingston designed for us. They designed it so I can leave the canopy on, pull two pins and fold it back out of the way for fishing. Works pretty neat! Pictures are in my album.

Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: