View previous topic :: View next topic  
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Making registration numbers stick to my dinghy Reply with quote

Hello,

Hope there is someone who can suggest the best way to get some numbers on the sides of my new PVC dinghy. (or how NOT to do it)

Some of the choices I see are the vinyl letters
or
More permanently I could use a stencil and a Black marks-alot

What works best? What doesn't work at all?

I have to get the state registration sticker stuck on also, I'm really concerned about losing them.

Thanks for any help.

John

www.AlaskaAdventureJournal.com
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen rigid plastic plates with the vinyl numbers on them attached to the inflatable with rope. The plastic would have to be somewhat flexible to avoid breakage, though. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I don't know of any way to get the regular plastic numbers to stick to the hull of any inflatable.

I had an Achilles for years and painted (not maagic marker) the numbers on with the use of a stencil, which had to be touched up every few years. The paint came with the kit. I attached the state stickers to a small piece of flat plastic and attached that to one of the D-rings near the numbers with a nylon wire tie wrap.

You can also get rubber letters and numbers and then glue them to the inflatable, which works well, but you better not plan on selling the inflatable because this is pretty much permanent. So is the paint/stencil route. Both might be removed, but would look like heck.

What works best for me are the plastic registraion plates that you can buy anywhere. Once the numbers/letters and the sticker are attached, I secured it to the dinghy with plastic tie wraps (I double up on them) when I use it and remove them when it's deflated and folded away. Attachment can be made to either D-rings or grab line.

I have never had an authorities question this method, even though it might not be in the "proper" location on the bow.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a Mercury inflatable (pvc) and intend to use this product http://www.boatnumberplate.com Don't know if anyone has had any experience with them or the product. Looks pretty good. Then don't they all?

John
Swee Pea
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boatnumberplate is supposed to work well, but I haven't seen one in person, yet. We had the plastic plate, but found it was inconvenient when rolling up the boat, having to tie wrap it on and cut it off. While in Florida, I asked a FWC officer and he said that as long as there was a state sticker somewhere on the boat, they were OK with it; he suggested I put it on the solid transom. So, we have gone with stenciled numbers, one state sticker on the inside of the transom, and the other sticker in with the registration papers.

In areas where theft is a concern, numbers permanently on the dinghy are a plus.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Making registration numbers stick to my dinghy Reply with quote

John S wrote:
Hello,

Hope there is someone who can suggest the best way to get some numbers on the sides of my new PVC dinghy. (or how NOT to do it)

or

I have to get the state registration sticker stuck on also, I'm really concerned about losing them.

Thanks for any help.

John

Buy a pint of Bouy Marking Paint and get after it. Very Happy

Remember your respirator while painting!
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Making registration numbers stick to my dinghy Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
John S wrote:
Hello,

or

Thanks for any help.

John

Remember your respirator while painting!

Tsturm-

I Googled "Buoy Marking Paint" and got nothing as far as a product is concerned.

But when you take "Marking" out of it to make "Buoy Paint", you do get hits like THIS.

NOTE LOOKS LIKE THIS PAINT IS INTENDED FOR PVC BUOYS AND INFLATABLES, SO IT MIGHT NOT WORK ON THE OTHER TYPES OF FLEXIBLE PLASTIC/RUBBER SURFACES. I'D CHECK WITH THE PAINT COMPANY'S TECHNICAL REPRESENTATIVE FIRST!

Thanks!

Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Making registration numbers stick to my dinghy Reply with quote

Remember your respirator while painting![/quote]

Tsturm-

I Googled "Bouy Marking Paint" and got nothing as far as a product is concerned.

Can you tell us more about this type of paint?

Where did you get it, and was it used for anything else, etc?

Thanks!

Joe.[/quote]

(Hope there is someone who can suggest the best way to get some numbers on the sides of my new PVC dinghy.) Mr. Green

Any "comercial" fishing supply place will have it. It is for putting Vessle ID on Bouy Bags. When it gets above 0 I will go get a can and give you the mfg. Beer
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstum-

Thanks for the reply!

I revised the above post after taking the work "marking" out of the search name, as noted up there.

Living and working in the Alaska oilfields and Soldatna, huh?

Hows your hot tub and brandy holding out?

When's spring up there, July 15th?

Stay warm!

Joe.
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
tstum-

Thanks for the reply!

I revised the above post after taking the work "marking" out of the search name, as noted up there.

Living and working in the Alaska oilfields and Soldatna, huh?

Hows your hot tub and brandy holding out?

When's spring up there, July 15th?

Stay warm!

Joe.

Vinylon, buoy black # 7 32635 4 Winter started in Oct. Spring is not here yet. The Oil & Gas Patch where I worked is a 30 mile radius From Soldotna.

1 more week Crying or Very sad
John S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I saw the www.boatnumberplate.com at the Seattle boat show. It looks like it would work, but I was hoping to avoid $40 + shipping + a can of glue if possilble. It still might be the best way to go. You can remove the whole number plate eventually if you wanted to.

The buoy marker paint is interesting, but very permanent. Anyone have any idea how much a can of this stuff goes for?? How is it normally applied, I saw respirators mentioned, is it spray paint?

Thanks,
John

Hasn't been so cold that I couldn't find a spot of open water in Tustumena Lake to take my snowmobile swimming in. Laughing
tsturm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buoy marker paint is interesting, but very permanent. Anyone have any idea how much a can of this stuff goes for?? How is it normally applied, I saw respirators mentioned, is it spray paint?

Brush applied, Gloves & respirator If someone steals your dinghy permanent is good Rolling Eyes

Gear Shed in Homer stocks it!

Last edited by tsturm on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used paint in jars manufactured for plastic models. This sticks well, and does have to be retouched. We have had variable success with the pVC plates which attatch to the PVC for the sticker. But found that we had to use a contact cement to get good sticker adherance for the first year. Subsiquent years stuck to the first year.

We usually use the long pastic plate. Most states accept this--but in the Sacramento Delta a week end water cop tried to give us a ticket. We ended up with a warning--but were told that if it was not permently attatched to the proper place on the bow next time it would be a ticket. This was a number of years ago--and the situation may be different now.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The buoy marker paint is interesting, but very permanent. Anyone have any idea how much a can of this stuff goes for??
http://www.seamar.com/crab.html Another vinyl paint worth considering that comes in many colors and is available in smaller quantities http://www.artistcraftsman.com/flashepaint/home.html As to registration, the Clark County Sheriff sent me the pertinent regulations for Washington State. Bottom line, it isn't necessary to register your dinghy if these conditions are satisfied (6) Vessels equipped with propulsion machinery of less than ten horsepower that:

(a) Are owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid vessel number has been issued;

(b) Display the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix "1" in the manner prescribed by the department; and

(c) Are used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose;
Link HERE http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=88.02.030 Technically, section(c) means that you can't fish or take "excursions" in your dinghy.

John S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The state of AK looks at the dinghy registration different. I can't see anyway out of registering. This is straight from the state's DMV website:

What Must Be Registered:

All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)

Effective February 10th, 2005
All sport fishing guides are required to register both powered and non-powered boats.

NOTE: "Boat" means a watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except for:

A ship's lifeboat

A seaplane

An inspected passenger vessel

A single air mattress, single inner tube or other water toy

NOTE: Tenders are boats that are used exclusively for transportation from a boat to shore. Under the previous USCG registration program, tenders did not have to be registered. This changes under the state program. Tenders must be registered unless they are non-powered.

What Cannot Be Registered in Alaska:

Boats that are not principally used in Alaska. (Alaska residents such as military members or college student that live outside of the state cannot register their boats in Alaska. They must register them in the state where they are currently living or using the boat. This is required by federal law and there is no exemption for any group.)

Exempt from Registration in Alaska:

A boat with a valid registration from another state or country that is not operated more than 90 consecutive days in Alaska.

A boat owned by any government agency at the federal, state or local level.

Non-powered boats. (Effective 2/10/05, Sport Fishing Guides will be required to register their non-powered boats.)

A documented boat. The documentation may be either from the U.S. or a foreign country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: