The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Significant water under cockpit floor on 07 CD-25: Normal ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Significant water under cockpit floor on 07 CD-25: Normal ? Reply with quote

Just washing the cockpit floor while on the trailer last night caused a substantial amount of water to enter the space under the cockpit floor. Prior to the washing I made sure the floor hatches were properly fastened and they seemed tight. There was enough water to keep the bilge pump running for several minutes (although not at full stream).

I had wondered about this prior to my having been rear ended while trailering last November because even prior to that event, it was common to pump out water (using the bilge pump switch) when I got on the boat.

Bill
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say "yes"...can't speak for others, but that area gets water in it very easily, despite the hatch covers. I don't worry about it.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be perspective... we get some water in there once in a while, but I would never consider it to be "substantial". The biggest problem I have when washing the cockpit floor is to get the water to go out the scuppers... slooooooow to drain. I use less water from the hose and toss a bar towel on the cockpit floor, swishing it around with my foot to keep the floor clean. The seals on the hatch doors stay "squishey" for quite a while afterwards (technical nautical terminology), so it seems that they're working.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Alasgun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Signifigant water under cockpit floor Reply with quote

When we could not keep the water out on our 04 25 ftr I took up the hatch covers and discovered cutouts that were way to big for the hatch along with a poor seal job. O yea 75% of the screws would just spin as well. This balsa had nothing applied to stop moisture when the hatches were installed and this caused a black, punky area extending 1/2 inch deep around the circumference of one of the hatches. For now I went in and oversized the screws and after drying everything out sealed the raw wood with 5200. In the future this is an item that I would like to give greater attention and fix properly. My thinking is that this area was not intended to be a holding tank and I like it as dry as possible, which is backwards from what Pat just told you but thats the beauty of this site.
Mike on Huda Thunkit.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Water in bilge Reply with quote

We get lots of water in the bilge area. Never is totally dry. When I talked to Bret in Seattle about it he said the hatchs are not water tight. Our scuppers are very slow to drain also. It is faster since I know that the hatchs are not water tight to just lift them and hose the cockpit down and let the bilge pump take care of it. It ends up there anyway. I take my little wet/dry vac and clean out the bilge area after I'm done. When the boat is out of the water I put the bow up in the air, take out the plug and let this area drain well.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to get lots of water in our bilge area. We had the dealer replace the scuppers with larger ones which improved the cockpit draining dramatically. We also had a piece of aluminium angle attached to the underside of the hatch lids. This stiffened up the hatches and stopped a lot of the leaking.
Ron
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the areas I question on in the new 25' compared to the original cruiseship. Not sure Tyboo and C-Pearl are the same but on my cruiseship there is no way for water to flow between the compartments. Much easier to keep things dry when it’s contained to a single locker and I don’t like the thought of small amounts of fish blood and slimed water flowing around the gas tank and batteries constantly.
I also noticed that the connecting drain holes between lockers on the new 25’ were just drilled in the locker sidewalls and not sealed leaving exposed balsa. This was a couple of years ago and not sure if C-Dory has addressed.

Downside of this configuration is:
I have to bail the water out by hand from the side lockers but then again the center locker has never had enough water in it to kick on the bilge pump so I have to manual bail it also.
If a large amount of water were to hit the back deck (as in pooped) the side lockers could fill and have no way to drain. Thinking this would be the least of my worries if I were to take on that much water.

Six of one half a dozen of the other, I just like the fact that I can get my lockers totally free of water and when I do a pre-trip inspection there is never a question about how much water was in there when I last looked.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happiest when there is significant water under my deck.
Oh wait, this thread was about 25s not 22s. Sorry.

About three years ago "My IRA" was being built (I think it was that boat). I remember looking at "during construction" photos. He went with a big fish box, smaller side boxes that might hold batteries, and an accessible gas tank. I liked all those ideas and it seems it might make the deck more leakproof. Were any of those incorporated in future boats?

Regards,

Mark

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get water in the bilge area also, used to get a LOT. I found, like others, that the two big hatches and two port holes in the cockpit floor had no sealant or caulking when installed; I also notified the factory back in 2003 -- they began using caulking shortly thereafter. I pulled all of them and put a good bead of Boat Life under them and the screws, much less water now. Now it comes in the hatch covers themselves, but only about 1/2-1 cup of water a trip, I just sponge it out and leave the hatches open during storage. No biggy.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Bill.Secure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Back on the water again & gallons, not cups Reply with quote

Finally we've returned to the Bay (after the November accident) and all the repairs, to the boat, the trailer, and getting a new motor. Splashed in yesterday & had a great cruise up the South River to the Bay, then to Back Creek in Annapolis, & finally up the Severn River to it's headwaters. It's so nice at this time of year because there are few boats on the water.

In terms of the cockpit floor leak, I'm starting to suspect that part of the problem is that the latches for the cockpit floor hatch covers are set too tightly. The are quite difficult to engage (because of how tight they are set) and they may be pulling so hard at the latch point that the edges are warped up slightly.

I can check this out with a hose (once our Marina water gets turned on again). I need to loosen the adjustment somewhat anyhow because right now the latches are so tight Lynda can't open or close them and that's where we keep our fenders.

Bill
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary problem is that the hatch lid is not up to the task of prioviding a water-tight (or even a water-restistant in some cases) seal; it flexes too much and this is exaberated by the location of the only hold-down being right in the middle of the hatch (relative to the side-to-side dimension) and having no drain channel around the opening (poor execution of an otherwise good idea).

I see two relativley easy fixes to the situation (and there are likely more); either install small corner hold-downs so the corners of the hatch don't do their flip-up thing or strengthen the underside of the hatch lid with a truss of some sort. The latter was successfully done by Hank Brooks on Sea Skipper; I believe he now gets little or no water under the deck.

What's the point of building a "self-bailing" deck if it allows water into the hull?

Now the other side of the coin...everybody wants it all. We want a water-tight deck with lots of openings for storage and access, we don't want to trip over hatches, and we want it to look fantastic. That's a tall order and few boats manage it unless they're significantly more expensive and great care has taken in the design of the hatches.

The easiest solution is to use commercial water-tight hatches...they don't leak. They also look like commercial hatches, are expensive, and many have a slighlty raised frame which means the cockpit deck is not absolutely flush.

The next best is tight-fitting hatches over a raised lip or gutter with high quality dogs in each corner. This takes the builder getting it right and access though the hatches is not as convenient with the corner dogs and the need to place the lid somehwere when it's loose.

My assessment after all these years is if a hatch has a flush hinge (or hinges) it's probably going to leak unless extrordinary care has been taken in its desgin and production.

In the case of the CD25 just adding a truss to the underside of the hatch would fix 90% of the problems; I can hold the current hatch lid in both hands and flex it.

www.marinautboats.com
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Les. Thanks! I'll take the advice on the hatches but I would also like "fixing scuppers for dummies" on the CD25. It would be nice for water to quickly evacuate the cockpit. For some reason the starboard side refuses to drain. It is not clogged with anything and has been that way since new. Of course that is also the side the boat list towards and so thats where the water gathers.
Thank you in advance O one of great CD wisdom. Very Happy
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading what Les had to say,
Quote:
In the case of the CD25 just adding a truss to the underside of the hatch would fix 90% of the problems

And reading what Ron on Meander had to say,
Quote:
We also had a piece of aluminium angle attached to the underside of the hatch lids. This stiffened up the hatches and stopped a lot of the leaking.

Ron on Meander would you please take a photo of your hatches and show us how you applied your aluminium angle?

Thanks,

-Sarge

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge,
Your wish is my command! Pictures are in my albumn and I'm trying to link one to this message. (Five trys so far and I finally got it after searching for how to do the link on a Mac. Perserverance pays off again. Maybe I should try salmon fishing again!)

Last edited by Ron on Meander on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill.Secure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the pics & a question... Reply with quote

Ron,

From your picture I can see the screws going into the bracket and then into the bottom of the hatch cover. Did you use adhesive as well? Do the screws hold adequately or do they go all the way through and into some type of fastener on the top of the hatch.

Thanks,
Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: