The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transom stress cracks on 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Transom stress cracks on 25 Reply with quote

I found two areas on each side of the interior of my transom that have stress cracks. They are in each corner in line with the top of the transom. I am waiting for an estimate on the repairs.
Has anyone else seen this problem? It might be a good idea to check your transom if you have a 25. My boat has lived most of its life in dry storage and has very little time on a trailer.
I have more pictures in my photo album.

Fred
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
I had small cracks on the outside of the transom. As I remember on each side and above the tow eyes and towards the lower corners of the engine well cutout. The factory repaired them under warranty. That was about 8 months to a year ago however.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred - we have them too, only ours are on the outside of the transom. Les noticed them while installing our kicker. A big crack on each side...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are in the same place as David and Pat. Will be getting the dealer to do a warranty repair sometime in the near future.
Ron
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Pat, what are you doing about those cracks. I have a gel coat crack, but I don't see where it goes any deeper. Are you just going to fix the (brittle) gel coat, or look at the laminate?

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberglass has some flex, gelcoat doesn't. It's not necessarily a sign that there is anything deeper than the gelcoat... have someone qualified take a look at it.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like the typical thick gel coat crack--not a serious problem. See what happens when you bring the motor up position, put pressure on the lower unit while someone observes the crack and transom for deflection. Most likely just "V" out the crack and fill with new gel coat will take care of it. If I am correct this is more the pan liner, than the actual transom.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefully looked over Sea Skipper this afternoon for stress or gel coat cracks in the motor well area and did not find any. But I do have two small gel coat cracks near the upper outside edge of the kicker jack plate mounting bolts. These outside bolts are located just at the transition point were the transom thickens and is reinforced. Last winter I epoxied additional support inside the hull to spread the load. The cracks are about 1 to 1-1/2" long and at this stage I'm not too concerned.

"Sea Skipper"
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: I saw them also... Reply with quote

About a year ago before my mild stroke I looked at a 2004 C Dory 25 that was in GREAT shape at Cutter Marine in MD, however, the ONLY issue I did find on that loaded boat was the cracks in the gelcoat at the transom corners going up to the gunwales... the cracks were on both sides just as you all described. I chalked it up to putting a single 135 HP Honda over the transom. After all the transom is the part of the boat where the thrust and stresses of the motor are transferred to the vessel being propelled over the water.
From what I saw it appeared to be only the brittle gelcoat crack that exposed the glass to the elements. That was the only issues I saw with the boat...
I was ready to make the offer when the stroke sidelined me. That was a bummer for sure, however, I am getting back in the saddle slowly.

The C Dory is a really well built boat and the factory is great about working with you on the Oh SH...'s that do crop up as new boats are broken in. In my opinion... for the money... the C Dory is hard to beat in value.

Just my 2 cents... Butch

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone fixes it, I intend to be sure the factory has cleared it as covered by the 5 year hull warranty - we shall see.

journey on wrote:
OK, Pat, what are you doing about those cracks. I have a gel coat crack, but I don't see where it goes any deeper. Are you just going to fix the (brittle) gel coat, or look at the laminate?

Boris
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Cracks Reply with quote

Its just Cosmetic....the jel coat...had one on my 1990 Angler...use some touch up.....the motor is not going to fall off

Dick
255 TomCat
Orinda, CA
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite agree that this is just a cosmetic issue. While I do not think it is structural to the hull it certainly is a design defect in the engineering of the gelcoat/laminate mold geometry on the 2004 CD25. The geometry at this location is definitely a design defect with inadequate radius if left exposed. On my 2004 CD 25 there is clearly not enough radius on the top of the transom where it meets the inner vertical wall to be left exposed. This is why you do not see sharp corners in molded fiberglass products. It is well known that sharp corners in fiberglass laminate will crack the gel coat at the corner's edge unless a substantial radius is designed in.The black molding on top of the transom is an effort to cap the transom. This would work fine, but it is too narrow and leaves some of the top of the transom exposed. From "Anita Marie" 's photo at the start of this thread you can see a larger radius that the factory addresed on later boats after the cockpit design change. On my boat, the gelcoat was cracked on the port side of the engine when delivered and the crack has widened. Another crack has appeared in the gel coat on the starboard side. Engine vibration might have been enough to cause this. The transom's on these boats are massively built and I don't think they flex very much if at all, even if trailered and bumping on the road.

The problem with cracked gel coat is that this gives an oppening for water to migrate into the underlying fiberglass laminate. This is why I keep the cracks taped, pending a more permanent solution. I don't expect the transom to fall off anytime soon, but this is a defective condition that needs more than duct tape to effect a more permanent solution. Maybe an additional molding installed on this edge with 3M 5200 that is somewhat more flexible than just a hard filler/gelcoat repair and might cure the issue permanently.

There was a thread this past winter about a 2003 CD25 for sale in New Jersey, the "Frequent Sea", and one of its problems apparently was moisture in the transom from a cracked transom. I suspect that this cracking issue on top of the transom was the cause of moisture migrating into the transom from these same type of cracks.

I have emailed Bret Reynolds at C-Dory regarding this issue on my boat along with photos and I will discuss with him how they have repaired other boats with this condition since my boat is still under warranty.

In any case, however, if your boat has a crack in the gelcoat you really should seal it to prevent any water getting in and causing any deterioratioin in the laminate under the gelcoat.

Photos are below.

Regards,
Pete in NY

William and Beth Tucker

City/Region: Ocean Isle Beach
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: c-dory
Photos: William and Beth (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete in N.Y. ! I agree with you. Those cracks are not supposed to be there.....Keep us posted.....Keep your life jacket on, Tucker.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the crack on the transom port side - Les noticed it while the kicker was being installed. I don't know if it is "merely cosmetic" but I don't like it, and seems to me to be a hull defect that the warranty should cover.

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would we do without duct tape and baling wire?

_________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: