The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiper Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Wiper Wiring Reply with quote

I'm installing electric wipers, having ordered them directly from C-Dory, and of course they did not come with any instructions. And, being the electrical idiot that I am, I need some verification on what the purple wires are for. My guess is that they are connected together to enable the self-parking feature if the wipers are wired to the same switch. Since I'm going to wire to separate switches, I assume I do nothing with them.
??? & TX
Al
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al --

I looked for my copy, but can't locate it.

I found the complete installation and wiring instructions on the wiper maker's website. To use the same switch you need a big diode and that's in the instructions. I couldn't get it to work.

The purple wire is a constant hot wire and is connected to the hot side of the switch so the wipers will park. There are two hot wires for sure. Otherwise they just stop in place.

Mine are on separate switches as I often only need one.

Diagram with wire color notes for my 16 Cruiser which may help your installation.

-- Chuck
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al on the Moose, (sounds like a picture I'd like to see)

I have the double wipers on my 16' angler. I'm heading down to try a new kicker on the Denebola Star in the next day or two, so I will take a look at how they are wired. This wiring was done by the factory.

Jon

Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Electrical and Wiring Photos page for the installation instructions for the AFI wipers (4 pages, labeled 1-4 through 4-4, on the last page of the photos).

To answer your question, there are three wires: red, blue and black.
Red is the power to the wiper, when it's on. It is wired to the cold or outlet side of the power switch.

Blue supplies power to the unit after the power switch has been turned off, so that the unit can continue to operate until it "parks" in the proper position. Blue comes off the hot, or inlet, side of the power switch. Blue is therefore always hot.

Both red and blue are fused.

Black is ground.

The foregoing holds true for a single switch installation, with the qualifier that a diode is placed in the red line to the second switch, as indicated.

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize the mfgs. drawings were in the library. I tried to print them off yesterday from the AFI site, but I think we have an ancient version of Adobe Acrobat, and the text was unintelligible. It looks to me like no diode is required if wiring to separate switches, n'est ce pas?
Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: