The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/22 - 08/28 - Rideau Canal Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Fall of '05, we received special gifts and awards going thru the Rideau -- apparently we were the 2,000th boat of the season that year. You folks are in for a wonderful experience. Yes, and all your talk of the trip has brought back such good memories -- of the canal but most poignantly, of good times cruising with you folks along the Erie -- we are thinking of cloning Halcyon and heading east this late summer. Oh, the temptations in this C-Dory boating world ....
Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- We hope to cruise the Rideau in July.Does anyone know if we're legal with a portapotti on board? We're new at this-do people just carry it to the head on shore or do you have it pumped out?Does our VHF have to be registered in canada?Any other regs we need to know about? Thanks Alan @ Linda
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al and Linda -
There are lots of rules on the books and I'm sure we'll hear about them from other Brats. We have cruised the Rideau a number of times -- have used the porta potty aboard -- easy to dump in marinas along the way. We have used our VHF (with no special license) and no problems.

So, perhaps we have been blissfully ignorant (yes, I know that's no excuse), but we have never had a problem. We would do the same thing again tomorrow if we were up that way. The Canadians have been wonderful hosts and that trip is a pure gem. Go for it!
Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply El @ Bill.We've followed your voyages on your Web site and are excited about trying a six week cruise this summer-Al @ Linda
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading on the T&T list that Verizon has stopped offering it's cell phone coverage in Canada for a fixed price. It's now $.69 per minute or something like that.

When we do the Rideau this summer, Becky needs to stay in constant touch with her elderly parents at home. Are there any suggestions from Canada savy C-Brats about how to best do this without costing a fortune. Internet connectivity is not an option for her parents or Aides. Can we rent a Cell Phone (as we did in the Carribean) or otherwise purchase time with Verizon or another carrier?

Any comments are welcomed!
Frogpawg

City/Region: Wallis Run; Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Soapy Joe
Photos: Soapy Joe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cresent Girl;

Have not been up the Canal, but have used my verizon cell phone on Wolfe Island and in the Kingston area for several years with no problems. My cell is based in Pennsylvania and I have the nationwide plan. Razz Wish I could help you as far as how far up the Canal it will work, sorry Question Sad
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still planning on heading north and joining in the fun, and are wondering if there are any particulars on where we drive to, launching and parking arrangements, and final tweaking of dates and times?

David

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Hi All,

It’s getting close to our start date for the Rideau Canal Cruise. So, if each of you will e-mail me your cell phone numbers, I’ll put them in a list and forward to all who have signed up for this event. That list of cell phone numbers has worked well on the last couple of cruises where Dun provided it ( if I remember to turn on the phone).

The current plan is to meet in the afternoon/evening of 8/21/07 at Cedar Pt State Park in Clayton NY. Cedar Pt doesn't take reservations for one night but anticipates no trouble for our group arriving on a Tuesday. The park is going to charge $7 per day our rigs are there, which is the day use fee. Park phone is 315-654-2522. Official reservation line is 800-456-2267. Anyone staying more than the one night should call the park, I would suggest.

Then we’ll start early on the 22nd, before wind/chop picks up on the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario, to get to Kingston to enter Canada and start up the canal.

Along with the phone list, I’ll forward a spreadsheet of possible stopping points each day, and any B&Bs at each stop.

Current plan is to do the car shuffle on 8/27 ( a Monday, since car rentals typically aren’t open Sat PM or Sun), and Trailer home on the 28th ( So that one of us can start teaching on the 29th, (glad it’s not me!)).

Rick & Carol from Maine
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the organization. David will be in Alaska until next Tuesday, the 14th, but our cell number is 804-221-0701. Tx. David and Dayna Paxton, "Alma's Only"
CTYankee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick,

We're back from the wedding...everything went well. How's your knee?

Have you researched any B & B's along the canal and where we might spend the nights? Inquiring minds want to know...if you catch my drift!

We may go up to Cedar Point SP on Monday and do a little cruising around the 1000 island while we wait for you guys on Tuesday. Any one else interested?

My cell phone is the same as always.

Dun
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Hi Dun,

Glad the wedding went well. Hope you didn't embarass us C-Brats. We have a reputation to maintain, you know.

Knee works pretty good. Hauled boat today to get ready for Rideau. Knee & back worked good. So, you're stuck with us!

Around Saturday I'll forward the phone #'s and list of potential stops each night, with nearby flophouses ( I'm still working on the list). Although I haven't found B&B's, I have found Hotel/Motel/Lodge possibilities for just about every night, along with anchorages/moorings for those who stay on their boats. So, the distaff side can get clean & comfy on some nights.

I realized today that we'll need an 8 passenger van for the car shuffle. So, I'll try to reserve one for us. It looks like we'll have 5 wives running amok touring & shopping in Ottawa for a full day while we do the car shuffle. Of course, we could use just 2 sedans if you want to tell Becky that she has to drive a car in stead of touring in Ottawa. I know that I'm not brave enough to tell Carol that!

Rick
Nate Leonard

City/Region: Locke
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Canadian $ Reply with quote

Hi All;
Given we are entering Canada via water we aren't likely to find easy $ exchange. I have some Canadian $ and can pick up some more. Believe it or not the Canadian $ is almost exactly on par with US$ when the transaction fee is added in. We will likely use credit cards regularly but remember you will get international transaction fees and poor exchange as well. Many places will take US$ though that makes me feel arrogant... So if any one wants me to pick up Canadian $ - please advise me how much you want and I will try to accomodate.
Also, has anyone investigated Canadian Customs entry via boat? Wolfe Island and Kingston have entry points but wondering about any particulars we might want to know. Coming back to the US will need either passport or birth certificate with drivers license.

Best Regards,
Nate Leonard
C-Dory 16 "Clover"

Nate Leonard

City/Region: Locke
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: B&Bs on Rideau Reply with quote

Hi Rick et al;
This list has some good B&Bs http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/accom-bb.html
Do we have some "firm" locations for each night? I'd like to narrow the list and check some out on line...

Best,
Nate
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the offer of getting $CN for us.

From my readings of Skipper Bob & others, we should be able to easily check in to Canada by direct phone at Kingston Mills ( past Kingston).

I'm still working on the list of possible stops and flophouses for each night. My preferred stops for each night currently are:
8/22 Seelys Bay
8/23 Westport/Portland
8/24 Perth
8/25 Kemptville/Beckett's landing
8/26 Ottawa - Dow's Pavilion

Each of these locations have nearby restaurants and flophouses. Plus there are nearby tie-ups or anchorages for those staying on their boats. I'll be sending a spreadsheet that shows travel times between each considering distance and # of locks. For example - Seelys Bay is only 3 miles and 0 Locks past Cranberry & Dog lakes where there are plenty of nice anchorages and places to stop and visit.

Rick
CTYankee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think we will need dingys? Rick mentioed anchoring out and I didn't know how far off the docks/walls that might be.

Also, i assume we can find provisions along the way fairly easily?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: