The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/22 - 08/28 - Rideau Canal Cruise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: 08/22 - 08/28 - Rideau Canal Cruise
From Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:00 am to Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:59 am (included)

Dates: 8/22/07 to 8/28ish
Place: Rideau Canal from Kingston, ON to Ottawa or Montreal

At the end of last year's Erie Canal cruise we discussed doing the Rideau Canal in August ( in lieu of Sept) to allow some spouses who can't come in Sept to make it. So, lets plan on going around 8/22 - 8/28ish or 8/29ish this year. The plan to be worked out will be to do the Rideau Canal. The Canal is 126 mi long with 45 locks. Skipper Bob indicates that it takes about 5 days. That would get us from Kingston to Ottawa. If some want to go further, it's another 2 days (approx 97 mi) to Montreal), which gets to Labor Day Weekend. We will have to work out the logistics of where to launch and leave our vehicles, and how to get back to them. Remember, if any want to do part of the St Lawrence River, you must have 2 people in a boat to lock thru on St Lawrence.

Edit by TyBoo:
Added to Calendar
Signup list started

Rick from Maine
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Count us in. Thanks for taking the planning lead again. We need a good scoutmaster!

Let me know what you need to plan launches etc. I've been to Ottawa, but not on the water.

We're looking forward to the cruise with our pals!

Dun & Becky (CTYankee)
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder,

If you were ever arrested for pot use or a DUI, you had better take up the problem with the Canadian Government in New York before going. If not, they may NOT be allowed to enter Canada.

Better to address it than be sorry.

Fred.

PS. Will try and make it.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Rick. The Rideau is one of the finest 'relaxing' cruises on the continent -- hardly a worry about weather, since you are in the canal and relatively 'closed' water most of the trip. The locks are easy, short, steps with great keepers (usually college kids working for Parks Canada for the summer), and there are lots of good anchorages and eating places. The southern half is the most scenic (being in the Canadian Shield,a complex of very old, tough, rocks that creates cliffs, hills, and narrow cuts) whereas the north is out on the sedimentary rocks, so a more subdued swampy terrain. We've cruised the canal twice and it is a favorite.

For those with more time, we would heartily suggest the Gran Circuit Nautique:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/legran.htm

This is surely one of the finest long (800 mi) cruises in the northeastern part of our continent, and a trip that matches (or exceeds, in our opinion) any canal cruising that Europe has to offer.

You're inspiring us to write up more about our last trip through that area, since we never finished the writing on that trip.

That is one fine idea, Rick, and we sure encourage any C-Dory owner in the eastern third of the US (and others, if they're willing to trailer there) to consider that as their summer vacation!!

teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Rideau Cruise Reply with quote

Hi Rick and all,

Our summer schedule is still incomplete. We do plan one of our annual trips to the Erie Canal and Fairport in Sept. We might be able to do a back to back trip with only one trip north.

Fred Heaps Thanks for the warning about pot in Canada. I don't have to worry, just like Bill Clinton, I never inhaled.

Fred Pat and Mr. Grey( the cat)

Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick:

Count Alma's Only as "in". We've calendared the time, and are looking forward to joining you and the others for some special cruising and socializing.

We don't have the problem Fred mentioned, but the seasoning in some of my cooking might attract drug sniffing dogs. I'll try to keep things mild, and watch which way the wind is blowing. Maybe better pay extra attention to bathing and laundry. They probably arrest you if the dog dies after taking a whiff.

david

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On shoulod be in Georgian Bay in Aug, and I'd planned to go up the Rideau Canal a little (if they let me in.) Is that close to where the C-Brat convoy will be?

Boris
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Hi Boris,

Yup, you'll be near us if you are going up the Rideau Canal. But, if you're cruising Georgian Bay, you most likely are thinking of traveling up the Trent Severn Waterway which goes from Lake Huron to Lake Ontario, which is about a one - two day cruise from the Rideau Canal. Hope you're coming our way, we'd like to meet up with you. We plan to start on 8/22.

Rick from Maine
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to a friendly reminder from CTYankee, this one has been added to the Calendar and fitted with a Signup list. Thanks Dun.

Mike
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

The start date is changed to 8/21 from 8/22 to allow some to get back on the 28th.

I picked up the Parks Canada “Rideau Boating & Road Guide” for $12.95 CN from the internet, along with the 2 small craft charts of the Rideau. The guide shows what is at every stop along the canal. I recommend it for everyone coming. You can plan your must-sees along the route. Based on the availability of restaurants along the canal, this looks like another diet buster cruise. You’ll find several internet sites that sell charts and the guide.

One difference from the Erie Canal gatherings is the operating hours of the Rideau Locks & Bridges: only from 0830 to 1930 each day in 2005.

Rick from Maine
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: showers in canada Reply with quote

Hi Rick is there places to clean up shower and toilet facilities on the Rideau canal My wife wants to know. also is there elec hookups any help would be appreciated I've looked up the canada parks but just not sure about some of the facilities thanks jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Yes there are a flock of places to shower, and many places with electricity. There are also some B&B/Motels along the route that have dockage, if she wants a break from boat camping. It looks like every day you can hit a different town with museums, shopping, & restaurants. That guide book shows the facilities available to boaters at each possible stop and lock.

Rick from Maine
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

http://www.rideaufriends.com

This web site has a nice selection of books, maps, T-shirts, music CDs, and videos about the Rideau Canal. It has the 2007 version of the Rideau Boating and Road guide.

Rick from Maine
c dory 26

City/Region: South Hero on Lake Champlain
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Great Republic
Photos: Great Republic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of us (and a dog) did the Rideau Canal in 2001 in my 26 foot C Dory carrying two bikes and two kayaks. It was as nice a cruise as I have ever had.
The couple and their dog camped along the canal-usually at the groomed areas above or at the lower end of each lock and I slept on board. Each lock had immaculate showers and heads (free as I recall) There are many places to visit, shop and eat and the birding was great. I have never seen so many loons (and loonlets). The lock masters were terrific. As mentioned above, most seemed to be students or professors on holiday enjoying the chance to be outside meeting interesting people each day. We were told that these jobs were much sought after and I can believe it even though the locks are all hand operated. Be prepared for full locks and boaters that have a wide range of skills. Many run a boat the way they drive so plenty of fenders and readiness to fend off are a must. We went through four or five locks one day with a rock and roll band who had rented a very large houseboat. Nobody had an idea how to maneuver the thing so the lock masters arranged to put them in first to minimize the damage they might do. Though not very good in a boat, they were great lock partners as they had a mini concert for us in each lock but one day locking through with them was plenty. I think the bikes and the kayaks added a lot to our trip. We carried the bikes on the cabin top and the kayaks in the cockpit when not being used. I would not try to tow them as the locks are too crowded. I suppose they could be towed and put ashore to be carried around the locks.
The trip to Montreal would be great addition and if you have time to go down the St. Lawrence to Sorrel and then do the Chambly Canal to the N end of Lake Champlain you would love it and could take the boat out and trail home from NY or VT without doing the entire circuit. However much of a trip you make of the cruise you will have a great time and I am sorry that I can't come along.
Dick Heilman
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dick-

Not to get off topic, but can you tell us (here or on a new thread) about your C-Dory 26 a bit? It's a rare breed, and we like to know about these things.

Is it a longhouse, pilothouse, or ??? What has been the boats ownership and use history?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: