The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The old debate, twin engines versus one engine on a C-Dory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: The old debate, twin engines versus one engine on a C-Dory Reply with quote

I know this will spark a lot of controversy, but I could not help passing this along as it confirms what I have long thought but had no hard facts. This month’s Powerboat Reports (March 2007) tests the performance of a single engine (225 hp) versus twin engines (115 hp) on an identical 23 foot center counsel. The two engines even had a 5 hp advantage. All the engines were 4 stroke.

They found (1) significantly higher noise levels with two engines, (2) worse fuel economy with two engines, (3) slower at WOT with two engines, (4) two engines always operated at higher RPMs for the same speed as one engine, (5) more weight with two engines, (6) more upfront costs with two engines, and (7) more ongoing maintenance costs with two engines. Bottom line, the single delivers better performance at a lower price.

I believe these findings would hold true for a 22 and 25 foot C-Dory, though I am sure that many of you will not agree with this. I know there is a big COOL factor with two engines that I cannot deny. Just realize that there is a price to pay for it.

Also I know that there is the redundancy safety argument of twins, especially offshore. However, with the increased reliability of todays’s 4 strokes, the appeal of twins as a backup has lessened to a great extent. Also, a kicker is an option with one engine.

Finally, I realize that those with counter rotating props may argue that there is a handling benefit of twins around the docks and maybe in rough water. I would argue that the C-Dory is relatively light and maneuverable without twins. In rough water slow down or use trim tabs for control.

In the end, folks get what engine configuration they prefer. But I thought there were a few facts to shed on this argument.

Alasgun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: THe Old Debat, single verses ****** Reply with quote

Amen.
Mike on Huda Thunkit
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Excellent points made and suspions fully confirmed.
Blue

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting test would be with a 90 + 15 hp trolling motor vs twin Honda 50s

The 90+15 weighs about 480.
Twin 50s (40s too) weigh 410.

Anyone with fuel flow meters and a single, no trolling motor, want to do a test with an extra
120lbs on the transom vs. not?

Mike
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeporterinmd wrote:

Anyone with fuel flow meters and a single, no trolling motor, want to do a test with an extra

Mike

I'm not sure how many c-dory's are using a 15hp kicker. I have the 90hp main and the 8hp classic.
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 90 hp and a paddle. Not sure how fast I can go with the paddle.
Tom
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the weight on that paddle? there's no way you can justify any boat related expense...the bottom line is, get what ya want.

A main and a kicker does somewhat negate the weight and maintenance expense issue

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom... How many cans Beer Beer per hour does that paddle burn and how often do you change the oil???

Forgive me... but is not one main motor and a kicker ...two motors? Smile

Yep, toss of the coin... each time I get ready to rig a boat I go thru this...changing my mind sometimes... like the 18 Angler I now have.. Bought it with one OLD original 84 modle Johnson 2 stroke...and before I put it in the water, I added a "portable" 9 hp new Suzuki 4 stroke...and bingo I was correct... about 1/2 mile across a large area in Lake Martin, wind blowing the wrong way, no one else on the lake with it so cold..and getting dark... that old Johnson gave up the ghost...and I was really glad I had a kicker...or....second motor.

Then, a week later, after removing that "portable" new motor so no one woiuld still it.... as I was bringing it back down the steap concrete walkway...the hand truck helping me toat that "portable" new motor hit a rock, forcing a hard immediate much faster than me pivit to the right, slinging me...and my new "portable" motor to the ground...with me in a very stupid man move....making sure my new "portable" motor landed on me instead of the concrete. ... Crook Cry When I got enough air back in my body to cry... I did. Then got up, and once more, finished the trip with the portable motor. ....and a few weeks later, bought a non-portable 50 hp suzuki..... and sold that chest chrushing, ego killing ya aint as young as you use to be "....$&^%%$^&* portable kicker.

Back to one motor.

Now.. looking at powering a new hull...and back to twins....both NON-PORTABLE. Cold day in August in Alabama before Byrdman buys another, "portable" kicker.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
mikeporterinmd wrote:

Mike

I'm not sure how many c-dory's are using a 15hp kicker. I have the 90hp main and the 8hp classic.

Doesn't change the question much. Subtract ten pounds. My question
is: weight or drag or both?

Mike
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been delighted with our single. However (and there's always a "however"), I do like the look of twins on the back of these boats.

Also, Brent and I did have the chance to try out the "paddle" solution one evening. While anchored out, we rafted up for the evening... to converse, eat, and toast the day's events. During that time, the boats rotated through 360º, wrapping our anchor lines. We paddled the boats (sure could have just motored around, too... but we were just messin' around) back around before we unrafted for the night. Nice that the water was clear so we could see exactly what was happening with the rode. Surprisingly, it wasn't that tough to move the boats with the paddles... not that I'd want to do it any distance or against a wind or tide. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B. (still on the road, wishing we were still on the water)

Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim I believe each point made in the article is correct. These are the same points that Les Lampman (most eloquently) made on this very board a couple of years ago. Okay maybe three or four years ago on the C-Dogs but that discussion is preserved on this board. Of all the points the most significant to me is the noise factor. I would like quieter than I get running twins. Less cost and less maintenance is good also. You can probafly add in greater durability, benefits of fuel injection (in some lines), more room for swim step, more room for downriggers, and several other advantages to the large single engine.

On the other hand -
I like the look of twins from inside the boat, they are lower and block less of my view astern yet I can still see them fine for making sternway. I troll a lot and all too often in fair sized waves, a single 40hp is a dandy trolling engine in those conditions, a kicker is a little underpowered when it's rough. Twins give some lateral stability. Twins, particularly with Permatrims or some other hydrofoil give you many of the benefits of trim tabs without having trim tabs. Twins can be run one engine at a time when just moseying along, (when inland or exploring shallows, etc.) particularly if you have an electrical set up so that either twin will charge the house battery as well as its dedicated start battery. I don't race anyone in my C-Dory so top end doesn;t matter. I think the safety factor is mostly mythical with twins on 24 inch centers. Like they say its gonna be the gas or your're gonna hit something that takes out both props or lower units.

In short I got twins this time around. Next time I might get a single just to try it out. Or better yet get the cat and not worry about it. But wait that new 28 has that spiffy inboard - oh boy.

My boat comes out of the barn in five weeks, I am getting a little giddy.

Regards to all,

Mark

PS Jim - always appreciated those rpm studies you did and never said so at the time, thanks.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

As you know I have twins and really like them, always had singles before. Noise factor, hmmm, I don't find that a problem at least with my twin Yami 80's, but then again I haven't compared against another CD25 with a single.

I believe Chris (Rana Verde) did a calculation on the twin fuel consumption of one CD22 (El and Bill's?) and his CD22 on last year's Alaska trip, virtually the same. So bottom type and loading could be a definite factor on these measurements. I'd believe the twins use slightly more gas, but not significantly.

I've run into seaweed a few times in weather and was sure glad I still had one engine moving us along while the other was cleared by shutting it down and tilting it to let it just fall off -- without even getting out of the cabin! Sure, not much, but I can see where things could turn difficult in a short time.

Like you said, to each his own, either can justify the usage of twins or singles by simply emphasizing one aspect or another. Thanks for the info.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stir the pot a bit -- I am considering setting Lori Ann up with triples Surprised Actually, not, more like 2.2 -- the 2 Yamaha 150s and a Yamaha 8 in between them for trolling. However, I am going to give myself one good season with the twins before seriously thinking about the 2.2 option. I am not sure whether I can steer the 8 with the autopilot and have it tilted up independently of the 150s so it is out of harm's way.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dory boats are used in far to remote places and over to great a distance for anyone to be without the safety and reliability factor that total redundancy gives in all systems and can be called on in a moments notice should either of the engines fail to perform as they likely will, so the the wise mariner in the C-Dory environment should make the judicious choice of twin engines, or a single Mercury. Mr. Green
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway has the 2.01 engine option. We have the 3.5 hp dinghy engine bracket, which mounts on the railing, fitted so it will slip into the dive ladder bracket and push the boat at about 3 knots. (See Picture #76/99)
This is probably not strong enough for an 8 hp, but the concept might be expanded for a larger motor.. No auto pilot, but it will tiller steer the boat with the main engines up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: