City/Region: Lake St. Clair
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DRIFTWOOD DREI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: MMSI Reply with quote

I haven't seen this link on the posts about MMSI...so I'll throw it out there :
http://www.uscg.mil/rescue21.
This link explains the "RESCUE21" program...probably most importantly, it describes the implementation timeline for MMSI distress signaling (the Coast Guiard has not ye implemented the program in many boating areas!!).
MMSI/DSC is still a great way to find out who of your buddies is out on the water and where they are.....but, as is constantly stressed - you have to register your MMSI number and keep your information current.
Since MMSI RESCUE21 is still 3-4 years away in non-ocean areas, an EPIRB is still the way to go right now!
therevdr
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right, Larry. Excellent breakdown. The station license is $150, the operator license is $50, totalling $200 for US citizens.

One exception: If you hold a valid Amateur Radio License, you don't need an operator's license, just the station license.

Don
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an amateur radio license is free if I remember right and good for ten years. Now you can get either the Technician Class or the General Class without any code requirement.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify there is no Morse code requirement for any ham license (even the extra--which used to require 22 words a min.)

From the Waggoner Cruising guide:
" Unfortunately, the U.S. regulation requiring licensing for U.S. pleasure craft in foreign waters is still on the books. It's supposed to be revoked, at least for travel in Canada. But it hasn't been revoked - yet.

What about enforcement? The reality is that the U.S. Coast Guard does not check VHF radio licensing for U.S. pleasure craft, because in U.S. waters no licensing is required. Neither does the U.S. Coast Guard go into Canadian waters to enforce U.S. VHF radio licensing regulations. In Canada, the Canadian Coast Guard and RCMP have no interest in enforcing U.S. regulations.

So nobody is looking at, nor are they about to look at, this obscure regulation requiring U.S. boats and their people to be licensed if they cruise in Canada. Given these circumstances, what should the U.S. boater do? We'll leave the decision up to each individual."

There is also a treaty allowing US vessels to use the VHF in Canadian Waters of the Great Lakes and visa versa.

In our larger boats we had SSB and were regularly into foreign waters, so we had an FCC license and ships call sign. We were never asked to show any license of any type, except the ships documentation papers in the Americas--different for Europe, where it was required on several occasions.

We are not planning a FCC license for the Tom Cat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
What about enforcement? The reality is that the U.S. Coast Guard does not check VHF radio licensing for U.S. pleasure craft, because in U.S. waters no licensing is required. Neither does the U.S. Coast Guard go into Canadian waters to enforce U.S. VHF radio licensing regulations. In Canada, the Canadian Coast Guard and RCMP have no interest in enforcing U.S. regulations.

So nobody is looking at, nor are they about to look at, this obscure regulation requiring U.S. boats and their people to be licensed if they cruise in Canada. Given these circumstances, what should the U.S. boater do? We'll leave the decision up to each individual."

I checked out the FCC web sites and the fees are now 60 (Restricted User) and 160 (Ship License), so it would be 220 to be in compliance.

Seems like a waste of money if its ignored.

Tom
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the FCC says:
"WHAT IS DOMESTIC OPERATION?

Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit as described in Section III. "

The US CG web site says:
"I live in the Detroit area. Does domestic use include Canada? If I land in Canada and use my VHF radio, do I need a license?

Technically, yes. Although the FCC no longer requires boaters having a VHF radio for domestic use to carry a ship station license, ship station radio license for my boat since the FCC eliminated its licensing requirements. U.S. boaters are supposed to obtain a license from the FCC before coming to Canada. We understand Canada, like the US, do not require boaters with VHF radios carry ship station licenses. (Note: Canadian rules regarding radio licenses on boats could change at any time. We recommend you check with Canadian authorities.)"

And from "Boat Maine"
"If you may enter foreign waters, including Canada, there is a compelling reason to get a FCC License. This is because when you apply for an FCC license you can get a MMSI number from the FCC at no additional cost. MMSI numbers issued by the FCC differ from those issued by BoatUS in that FCC assigned MMSI data is shared with search and rescue (SAR) agencies in foreign countries. This is important because if you push the distress button on the radio in foreign waters, the SAR station will take the number they receive and attempt to look it up in their MMSI database. If the number is from the FCC, they will have the information they need about your boat. If however the number is from BoatUS, they may be unable to find any data on your vessel. Needless to say, in an emergency you do not want to do anything to impede a speedy rescue."
+
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Agree with your breakdown, ecellent. Just one point, the FFC form 605 that you have to fill out for the station licence specifically asks IF you already have an MMSI number. If you do not then they will assign one to you.
What it does not say is IF they will register your existing MMSI number with the international database.

Oh yes and before you can do any of it on line you have to fill out yet another form to get an FCC registration Number FRN without which they cannot do business with you !!! Apparently you can do that on line but you have to have the number before you fill out the FCC #605.
Then you can file the 605 on line but you also need to submit a FCC 605 Schedule B (which is where they ask if you have an MMSI number)

I have yet to find out which form you need for the station operator...

Strongly advise to print all the BS out first and read it, fill out the forms on paper before attacking it on-line.

I am thinking of taking a smoky BBQ and a blanket instead, but I bet there is a form for that too

Merv
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you also need the station license if you transmit your radar in Canada. My wife and I talked to a guy who had just gone thru custom in Anacortes, Wa. He was fined $600 for not having a station license when transmitting his radar in Canada. Not sure how they knew but I saw his ticket.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the official "Industry Canada"-- Spectrum Management and Telecommunications Web site:

"If I have radar on board my ship, will I require a licence?

Most radar operate on frequencies contained within the maritime mobile band and therefore are exempt from licensing. However, you can verify if your radar operates within this band by referring to RIC-13."
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy,

Yes you need to get an FRN. That is your 'log in' number with the FCC and once you have it, you can do business with them online.

Here is a quote from the FCC website about NOT filling in your BOAT US issued MMSI number in form 605.

The following quote is from:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html

"If your vessel requires licensing by the FCC after you have obtained an MMSI from BoatUS, MariTEL or Sea Tow Service that MMSI cannot be used during the application/licensing process when you file FCC Form 159 and 605 with the FCC. MMSIs issued by other authorized entities are valid only for ship stations that do not have FCC-issued licenses. Since the ULS will not accept the MMSI that was issued by another entity, you should not enter anything in item 10 on FCC Form 605, Schedule B. Leave this field blank and the FCC will issue you a new MMSI."

I think anybody who wants to understand this FCC/MMSI stuff should check out that page. It has many of the questions and answers that are being asked here.

Don't we just LOVE doing business with the govm'nt!! Wink

Larry H

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Marie,

Your report is the first we have heard that US authorities are checking out the boat station license requirement to visit a foreign port.

I assume your friend checked into a Canadian port and then checked back into the US at Anacortes. Assuming that the US border patrol has the ability to 'listen' (passively) to boats running radar, then they may have noted that use and asked him for his station license when he checked back into the US.

Do you have any further details?

US boats are permitted to operate or transit through Canadian waters and if they do not stop at a port or communicate with a Canadian station, they do not need a boat station license.

Quote from FCC web site:
[url] http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html[/url]

"Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit as described in Section III."

A $600 fine Cry

Larry H
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy,

Quote from the FCC page(link in above posts):

"HOW DO I OBTAIN A RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT?

Obtain FCC Form 159 and 605 (see Section VI) and file it with the FCC. You do not need to take a test to obtain this permit. The FCC will mail the permit to you and it will be valid for your lifetime. Don't forget to sign and date your application and include any applicable fees, otherwise it may be returned. "

Go the the page where the forms are, click on 605 and complete Schedule E and submit it along with the 605.

More reasons to LOVE our govn'mt Crook

Larry H
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, he was not a friend just a guy on a big boat I talked to at the fuel dock in Anacortes after he went thru customs. He said they fined him for not having a station license for his boat and operating a radar in Canada. Don't know any other details.

Fred
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I/we broke a lot of international laws when we did our trip to Ketchikan. We used radar the whole way up through Canada and back, used VHF to communicate with a Canadian Lighthouse Station, communicated with each other during the trip, communicated with a Canadian aircraft in Canadian waters, and other boats. I guess I should have been locked up in their equivalent of Leavenworth in Canada.

Last edited by Alyssa Jean on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: