The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Propr Prop for a Suzy 70 & CD-22 combo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Propr Prop for a Suzy 70 & CD-22 combo. Reply with quote

I have just purchased a Suzuki DF70 four stroke motor for my CD-22 and would like to know from those of you with experience with this motor & boat combination what diameter and pitch prop you found the most suitable. Brand name and part number would also be insightful and useful.

The 2.42:1 lower end gear ratio makes this a bit more difficult to predict by interpolating from existing numbers for more common powerplants.

Thanks for your help in advance! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe when I had our 1982 22 Angler and installed the 70 Suzuki it took some time to find the right prop. I worked with a prop shop locally and they let me try some different props but none of them work that well. We finally cupped a 13 inch prop that came with the engine. This worked but at WOT the speed was only 23 Knots. We then had them take a 15 inch Suzuki prop and take it down almost to 14 inch, this seemed to work the best. 5500 WOT and about 25 knots. I think Dusty is still running the 13 inch prop on Little Buddy since I ruined the 14 inch on a rock last summer.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: You Might Try ProPulse... Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I'm in a similar position. Bought a DF90 to put on our CD22, but haven't yet homed-in on the perfect prop.

Although it is a different engine - the lower end performance is probably similar. My engine came equipped with a 14 x 17P and it wanted to overrev to a significant degree so I decided to increase the pitch. We bought a 13.25? diameter adjustable ProPulse 4-blade to field test. I went for broke and set the blades to 20P (maximum setting). At that setting, the engine would get to about 5300-5400 at WOT, but we weren't very loaded. I suspect that my 'ideal' prop will be in the 18cupped...possibly 19P range. I am inclined to go for a four-bladed prop, so somewhat reduced diameter will be called for from what I understand.

I will be interested to hear what others might think on the subject.

Casey
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

The 13 works fine for me - full gas, 4 people no trouble. Angler, so not as heavy as the cruiser, but no tabs. I run very conservatively - 18 knots is my top cruise, but usually 15 or 16, weather permitting. The difference between 22 and 24 knots top end -- just numbers for me. Of course water conditions here usually limit top cruise speed, so we spend much time at 12-14... you will like the Suzy, and there are many, many 70 hp Johnson 2-strokes out there on the back of cruisers that are happy.

Dusty

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!!
PS_Rick wrote:
I think Dusty is still running the 13 inch prop on Little Buddy since I ruined the 14 inch on a rock last summer.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: