The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Changing Fuel Tanks (Portable types)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Changing Fuel Tanks (Portable types) Reply with quote

This question poped into my head when replying to another thread and I thought it should be separate.

We have two portable fuel tanks on our 16 Cruiser and I change tanks by manually disconnecting one and connecting to the other. This always results in a tiny fuel spill. Doesn't hurt the boat, but always gets on my hands so I can't ask my wife or daughter to do it.

Is there a convenient way to Y-valve the fuel lines and change tanks that way? I'm sure there is, but what hareware and precautions are needed? I know there are a pair if inlets/outlets at the fuel filter which would be a convenient location.

-- Chuck
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck- The CD-22's have a y-valve between the two separate tanks and the main motor that is simply flipped from port tank to stasrboard tank and does not require any hose disconnecting/reconnecting. All the main suppliers have y-valves in their catalogues.

Another way would be to connect each of the two inlet hoses into the fuel filter and have one outlet hose go to the main engine and the second outlet feed the kicker, if so equipped. This assumes that the fuel filter body has two inlets and two outlets. Switching would be accomplished with two simple on/off in-line valves on the inlet sides. Practice says that it is sometimes necessary to put valves on the outlet sides if it turns out that the main motor pulls in fuel so strongly that it sucks air through the auxiliary's carb system.

HTH Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chuck S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a like to a photo of the Y-valve mounting? Like to keep the arrangement as factory looking as possible.

-- Chuck
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
I posted three photos of the fuel tank selector switch that the factory installed on our 03 Cruiser on the fuel systems photo album. The lines come from the fuel tanks into the back of the switch and are connected with hose clamps. Then there is a quick connect fitting that leads out of the back of the switch and into the fuel filter/water seperator. The fuel filter/water seperator has two output lines that then lead to each motor (we have twin Honda 40's).

This system works well for us, the only problem is locating a new fuel filter as it is not a normally stocked part at West Marine or the other boat supply stores in my area. In order to get a spare filter element I had to go to the C-Dory factory. Yell if I can help more!

Chivita Dave
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel Selector Reply with quote

Chuck,

I've got the same switch (valve) on my '94 CD but it apparently was never hooked up. Have twin Honda 45's and each engine is plumbed to one of the tanks (each with it's own Racor filter in the port lazarette). This gives me two completely independent systems and keeps fuel load balanced. Of course when I run out (never have), I would run all the way out unless I had a spare 6 gallon tank (of which I carry two when going out for a long trip). My tanks are 18 gal originals and I'd like to replace them with the newer ones were it not for the $600 price tag! I'd consider taking out my valve if you want an original, don't think I'll ever use it.

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA

Last edited by Captains Cat on Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks exactly like I'd like.

Now to find a source.......

-- Chuck
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: 3 way valve Reply with quote

I had my three way factory valve fail when I was about 28 miles out to sea. I made it back ok by bypassing the hoses.
I found a replacement at West Marine but the positions did not match the factory decal, oh well. It works for me....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Chuck S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything in the West catalog. Will keep looking. I can install a pair of single valves. Maybe I'll check the aircraft catalogs we have Port-Both-Starboard tank selectors on the bottom of the dash of most small aircraft. But if anything can be more expensive than boat parts it's gotta be aircraft! Shocked

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: