Camperback - which dealer to use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Camperback - which dealer to use? Reply with quote

I'd like to get a canvas camperback for my C-dory 22-cruise, and I'm trying to decide which supplier to go to. My first thought was to use King Marine Canvas in Seattle, since I'm told they supply the original upholstery for the C-Dory, and my upholstery is first-rate. But then I saw the thread here where the guy bought his camperback from them them new last November, and it's already leaking, and he doesn't seem to be getting much help from the supplier. Since I live in Wisconsin, I think I would be in a real bind dealing with a company clear across the country if I had similar problems, so I've also thought about going to a local dealer that makes custom boat canvas, but I don't know of anyone locally that's familiar with the C-dory. Does anyone have recommendations, such as a supplier they've used, one they're satisfied with their camperback?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy from someone across the country, typically you're looking at some hefty shipping costs due to the size of the camperback.

Probably your best bet is to take your boat to a number of local canvas guys, talk to them about what you want, maybe take along some downloaded photos of camperbacks seen here on C-Brats and get some quotes and then chose from there.

A good canvas guy's unfamiliarity with a C-Dory really shouldn't be an issue. Also, I replaced my factory canvas with custom work and that allowed me to tailor my camperback to my height and we also had ours made so that it covers all the way back to the transom. Keep in mind, though, that the extra touches also add to the price.

Good luck!

Nick
"Valkyrie"
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nick.
Support your local small business person on this. I had my canvas made by a local shop and have since use her for several other canvas projects and modifications.
As a matter of fact- she even has her own key to the boat!

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look thru the albums, and decide what you want in the camper back--then go to the local. There is no "magic" about having worked on C Dories--what you want is the best workman ship and material. I would suggest Sunbrella Plus, with the Tundra Thread. use at least 30 mil clear vinly on the windows and consider one of the higher quality materials, such as Stratoglass. decide if you want the back slanted or to come to straight down, if you want to stop at the transom or the motor well. Look at the sides, and see about entry and windows/ screens. We like to use the awning railing on the top as well as the sides of the cabin. You will want to have a zipper to separate the welt in the awning rail and the main part of the bimini.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I would suggest Sunbrella Plus, with the Tundra Thread. bimini.

Bob, hate to call you out on this a second time. I'm sure everyone appreciates your good advice but anyone wanting lifetime warranty on their camper back canvas thread should use Tenara GORE™ TENARA® Sewing Thread by the makers of Goretex. Last time I looked Tundra was the name of theToyota pickup.

Pete in NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: