Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: When to stay home? Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:
flagold wrote:
Wave height 1/4 hull length or greater -- stay home -- not worth the pounding your equipment will take.

MM

I saw this quote from an earlier discussion and wanted to tie it to a weather report for the San Juans : ...SE WIND 15 TO 25 KT...BECOMING SW 10 TO 20 KT IN THE EVENING. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
Based on the pounding C-Dancer took this weekend with the report showing 6 FT. waves it didnt sound too fun.

Would most folks be comfortable being out in 4 ft waves in a boat greater than 16' ?

Tom

Depends on the shape and period and your direction of travel relative to the waves.

4' swells not too close together are fun. 4' breaking waves, not.

The above forecast does not sound too good. It would depend on the area,
and whether the wind had a long fetch over the area I was traveling, etc.
Islands? Which side will I be on?

Mike
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Based on our experience this past weekend, there is no way that we should have gone out there under those conditions. The only reason we went ahead with it had to do with the excitement of the derby, the real possibility of catching a nice fish and the fact we paid for the opportunity via derby tickets, which weren't cheap. The reality struck early Saturday morning when the winds started gusting, that no fish is worth our safety. That's why we headed in early. Nearly all of the other fisherman, over 200 boats, stayed out much later and all had an experience they won't soon forget and wouldn't want to repeat anytime soon. However we didn't escape the risk because we were stuck at the marina and eventually had to head back to Twin Bridges where the real "fun" began.

So, if I had to do it all over again, I would have heeded the forecast for high winds over 20 mph and ate the derby ticket price because in actuality, the winds were much stronger than 20 mph. Reports in the area were winds in the 50-60 mph range. But to answer your question, waves from to 3-4 feet are uncomfortable but doable and not uncommon. Waves over 4 feet become quite uncomfortable in our 22 footer. My advice, stay home.
Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Peter. When we get caught in rough conditions (rare, since we try to heed forecasts), we head for a protected cove at about 5-6 knots, hold on through the chop, then drop the hook, and kick back with a warm cuppa and a good read.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
Good advice, Peter. When we get caught in rough conditions (rare, since we try to heed forecasts), we head for a protected cove at about 5-6 knots, hold on through the chop, then drop the hook, and kick back with a warm cuppa and a good read.

Exactly. One of the great joys of a CD-22 can also be a limited liability and that is for those of us who travel with and in them you've got all your items of day to day life with you. All that stuff banging around and taking a beating just isn't worthwhile to get out in a blow to me. If your boat is set up to fish and you're a crash and dasher, that's fine, but the older I get the less and less that kind of thing appeals to me, and a cracked lower vertabrae doesn't help (which came from pounding in a Whaler).

I fully recommend pulling in, pulling over, beaching, whatever, and waiting it out. The perfect time to get all your cabin chores and projects done.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor, which relates to Mike's post, is the direction of the current and wind driven waves. Wind against current makes steep waves, wind with current makes long peroid of waves. Not only do you want to evaluate the current comditions, but also look and see what the current will do--espeically in an area like the PNW where currents can be very strong.

I have taken the C Dory 22 out in some 6 foot seas, and run slowly-- But when you are parallel to the seas, you can come up in speed, and at times tack--working around rough areas and using headlands and other areas which produce a lee to your advantage.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to handle kayaks and sail boats but I've a lot to learn about power boats. Can anyone give me any tips on how to turn my C-dory around in rough water?
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is really rough, with breaking waves close together, I head up the wave under pretty good power and as soon as I cross and start down I immediately turn and get on the back of the wave, just below the crest. Then you hope you have enough power to stay there. Another good reason to purchase near maximum allowable power.
bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Jay wrote: "5' straight up and down waves we couldn't go slow enough not to have the bottom drop out from under us." Often its not the height of the wave but the frequency and angle of the swells, and even going sideways in theses conditions is hectic, time consuming and no fun; and that is what it's all about... right?

Besides, I have taken enough pounding in a lifetime and enough of my anatomy is already sagin, and the filling in my teeth are worth a fortune so I certainly don't want to put all that in jeopardy, so... find a nice cove and wait it out. Some of my most pleasurable moments have been tucked away in a cove while all the wind and fire demons are screaming about.

John
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Friday I ran out to the eastern edge of the Strait of Juan de Fuca for halibut but ran into a pretty strong west wind. The combined waves were around 5' but we ran out anyway and drifted through our fishing spot. It seemed a little too rough to fish with that up and down range of motion, but the boat kept the stern to the waves and at no time did the boat seem unsafe.

We decided to run down inside Admiralty Inlet and found some smoother water. While we were drifting through this new area, I noticed two other boats were doing the same but drifting parallel to the waves. It occurred to me that I would not want to be in either of these boat drifting in the seas we were experiencing earlier.

I assume that C-Dorys keep their sterns to the waves due to the flat stern transitioning to the angled bow acting as a rudder. Is this true or is it something else? Do most boats drift in the same behavior as a C-Dory? And is this something that hull designers care about?

By the way we got no fish. But hey, that's normal for me.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
In heavy wind/seas, that's the first thing I noticed about my CD-25 that was different than my other powerboats, it turns directly downwind and calmly lays down to the seas. I believe it's the forward placed cabin which weather-vanes downwind. It is a VERY good safety feature--even though probably unintentional in design.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
JeffK

City/Region: RAMROD KEY
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Flat bottom characteristics Reply with quote

I am shopping for a used C-22 and will be inspecting my first one next week. The deep V majority around the Florida Keys tell me I'm nuts to consider a flat bottom boat. The thing is, I already have a 26' Imemsa panga which has a flat delta pad running down the center of the bottom. It's only a few inches wide at the bow but 18" at the stern. I know that pangas, and I've read C-Dorys, don't like head seas. If I hit one two fast the panga goes airborne. The boat can take it but i can't. If where I want to go is up wind I either slow down or tack there with 45 degree course changes, going slow being the preferred option. Am I correct in assuming C-Dory owners do the same?

After reading every post on this subject I'm glad to read that 10 knots is doable in a 3' head sea. That's very acceptable to me. I am also pleased to read that C boats like to drift downwind. My panga does the same thing with its big bull bow. After a day of free dive spearfishing I often let the prevailing SE wind blow me toward home while I drift and chow down.

At 74, it's time to give up the hardships of a center console. I enjoyed reading your posts describing low fatigue factor, no pounding waves with cold salty spray in my eyes, just motoring along warm and dry, a cup of coffee and catching up on the news. Sounds wonderful.

Thanks for posting all this information. It is very helpful to prospective C-Dory buyers.

Jeff Kelly
Ramrod Key, FL
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Handling a C-Dory in Rough Seas Reply with quote

BobArrington wrote:

As I have mentioned in previous postings it is largly your groups experience that confirmed our decision to purchase this boat,

You do know that most of us are a little crazy here, right?

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almas Only wrote:
Bob:

Listen to your dealer: he knows what he's talking about.

I've boated the waters you describe with our C-Dory 22 Cruiser for the last three years, including the Neuse river up to New Bern, the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, side creeks, Oriental (got to love that ice cream and free dingy dock tieup), Morehead City, Beaufort, Ocracoke, Lookout Bight, and some offshore. Although the right center console will cut through some rough water that makes the C-Dory slow way down, the last boat I would have wanted for these experiences is a center console. When's the last time you saw someone cook and eat a meal, sleep overnight in all weather, and enjoy a rain storm on a center console?

You made the right decision. Relax, and enjoy it.

david

We really do need a like button! Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat bottom characteristics Reply with quote

JeffK wrote:
I am shopping for a used C-22 and will be inspecting my first one next week. The deep V majority around the Florida Keys tell me I'm nuts to consider a flat bottom boat. The thing is, I already have a 26' Imemsa panga which has a flat delta pad running down the center of the bottom. It's only a few inches wide at the bow but 18" at the stern. I know that pangas, and I've read C-Dorys, don't like head seas. If I hit one two fast the panga goes airborne. The boat can take it but i can't. If where I want to go is up wind I either slow down or tack there with 45 degree course changes, going slow being the preferred option. Am I correct in assuming C-Dory owners do the same?

After reading every post on this subject I'm glad to read that 10 knots is doable in a 3' head sea. That's very acceptable to me. I am also pleased to read that C boats like to drift downwind. My panga does the same thing with its big bull bow. After a day of free dive spearfishing I often let the prevailing SE wind blow me toward home while I drift and chow down.

At 74, it's time to give up the hardships of a center console. I enjoyed reading your posts describing low fatigue factor, no pounding waves with cold salty spray in my eyes, just motoring along warm and dry, a cup of coffee and catching up on the news. Sounds wonderful.

Thanks for posting all this information. It is very helpful to prospective C-Dory buyers.

Jeff Kelly
Ramrod Key, FL

There is a bit of difference between the Panga and the C Dory. The Panga has a little sharper entry, and is a narrower hull but certainly is a flat bottom boat. I believe it has a reverse chine as does the C Dory. We have seen Panga's over 50 miles off Mexico and Central American Coasts. They are very seaworthy boats...if you like that sort of getting wet!

The Panga is wetter, and probably will drive thru the chop a bit better than a C Dory 22. Best to get a ride in a 22 in the conditions you want to encounter. To me (with back problems) 10 knots into true 3 foot seas would be very uncomfortable. I would be tacking as you say, and going at slower speeds. The Tom Cat 24 or 255 will tackle the head seas up to about 3 feet. We actually ran ours into heavy short steep chop at faster speeds--to get more air cushion.

For the time we spent in the Keys, we choose to take our 18' Center Console, Caracal Cat, feeling that the ride was better than the C Dory 22. The Venture series will do slightly better than the C dory series in the chop. The 25 will do better than the 22.
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheduling is a huge consideration.......if you're on a tight schedule, you're gonna pound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: