View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobArrington

City/Region: Oriental, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sounder
Photos: Sounder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Handling a C-Dory in Rough Seas Reply with quote

We are about to take delivery of our new 22C in a few weeks and as I have shared our purchase with many boating friends I am regularly asked about the boat and when the description of the hull is discussed I am frequently asked how that flat bottom is going to handle the steep short chop of the back bays and sounds where we will be using her.

A little history: I live in Baltimore and do much of my boating in the Chesapeake Bay aboard our 44' motoryacht. Our 22C is going to be kept at a second home in North Carolina and will be used to explore the Pamlico Sound from its rivers out to the Outer Banks of NC. The Chesapeake Bay and Pamlico Sound are simular in that they are large shallow open bodies of water where waves stack up quickly.

All of my expierience on planning hull boats in our type of conditions (close steep seas) has steered me towards boats with a transom deadrise of at least 15 degrees to soften the entry. Boats I have run with a flat bottom pound hard in these conditions.

I raised this issue with the dealer (who also sells deep vee center consoles) when looking at the boat because he certainly knows our waters and he said he would rather be in a C-Dory in rough conditions then any other boat he sells. He said the key is understanding the hull, learning how to trim it and managing the speed.

As I have mentioned in previous postings it is largly your groups experience that confirmed our decision to purchase this boat, but my decision is nagged by the sideways looks I get when I discuss the design with fellow boaters that aren't familiar with the brand.

I would love the benefit of all of your experiences to answer these questions when I'm asked if I'm crazy for buying this kind of boat for these kinds of waters.

Thank you,

bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dealer is right Bob, the secret is speed and trim, even in the ones with more "V". But when it really gets rough, everybody has to slow down or take a beating. The advantage of the C-Dory is its ability plane at a slower speed.

The other plus is planning means fuel effciency and that is an important factor when you have to go a long way in rough water, particularly with a time limit.

These boats do "thump" more than others in chop, but you simply slow down. This lets you enjoy the trip and reduces noise which means fatigue.

Happy boating,

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run the boat fast in heavy chop it will pound.. So will a 15 degree dead rise. To get away from pounding you either have to slow down, change angle of attack or increase deadrise to well over 20 degrees--like a Contender 23 with 24 degree deadrise. With a boat which has high deadrise, it has a higher planing speed. The C Dory, bow trimmed down will be semiplaning/ planing at 10 knots, and you can handle the chop.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:

Listen to your dealer: he knows what he's talking about.

I've boated the waters you describe with our C-Dory 22 Cruiser for the last three years, including the Neuse river up to New Bern, the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, side creeks, Oriental (got to love that ice cream and free dingy dock tieup), Morehead City, Beaufort, Ocracoke, Lookout Bight, and some offshore. Although the right center console will cut through some rough water that makes the C-Dory slow way down, the last boat I would have wanted for these experiences is a center console. When's the last time you saw someone cook and eat a meal, sleep overnight in all weather, and enjoy a rain storm on a center console?

You made the right decision. Relax, and enjoy it.

david

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back when B~C was actually using his boat for fishing he was fond of pointing out how the Vee guys would pass him as he headed out toward the Columbia River bar but he would invariably pass the same ones when they were on the bar.

I have always maintained that a C-Dory will not pound unless you let it. Trim tabs, common sense loading and picking the right speed are the keys. Warm and dry makes the slower speed easy to take. When you get into conditions that make both hulls slow way down, the flat bottom is actually more stable and easier to control than the deep vee.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:

I have always maintained that a C-Dory will not pound unless you let it.

I almost agree with you TyBoo. Thats been the case for us, especially with trim tabs except for a couple time heading into the wind on yellowstone lake. In those 5' straight up and down waves we couldn't go slow enough not to have the bottom drop out from under us. I guess that would be called pounding. Afterwords it sure felt like we'd been pounded. We had a deep v fly by us and I mean that literaly. At times the boat was clear of the water. I imagine they were being pounded too.

Even so you still might be right about the "let it" quote. I guess we could have turned around and quartered off OK and made it back to a lee.

Jay

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long, powerful, deep-V boats can blow by you. But, eventually, ever deep V
will meet its match, and then it's no fun at all. Plus, you are burnings lots
of gas (mpg) at the slow speeds.

Mike
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 8th trailerable powerboat, all but this one and one other (Crestliner 19) were a deep-vee. I've been in fairly large seas (8-12ft) with my C-Dory and several of the others. I can say emphatically that this boat is hands down, beyond compare, the most stable and controllable in these conditions. If you try to stay just on that edge of planing in a deep-vee, say 14-16 knots to try and make time, you will likely fall into a wave occasionally that will whip the bow violently to the side as it digs into it slightly skewed -- especially in a following seas. This has launched numerous passengers across the cabin (the captain having the advantage of a steering wheel to hang onto!). Very dangerous situation, including possibly broaching the boat.

On the C-Dory's however, you can slow to 10 or so knots, maintain an easy plane (and if enough power available, not really have to touch the throttle much), get back safely and more alert (not fatigued). This boat is a keeper for me...! Thumbs Up

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
This is my 8th trailerable powerboat, all but this one and one other (Crestliner 19) were a deep-vee. I've been in fairly large seas (8-12ft) with my C-Dory and several of the others. I can say emphatically that this boat is hands down, beyond compare, the most stable and controllable in these conditions. If you try to stay just on that edge of planing in a deep-vee, say 14-16 knots to try and make time, you will likely fall into a wave occasionally that will whip the bow violently to the side as it digs into it slightly skewed -- especially in a following seas. This has launched numerous passengers across the cabin (the captain having the advantage of a steering wheel to hang onto!). Very dangerous situation, including possibly broaching the boat.

On the C-Dory's however, you can slow to 10 or so knots, maintain an easy plane (and if enough power available, not really have to touch the throttle much), get back safely and more alert (not fatigued). This boat is a keeper for me...! Thumbs Up

Fatigue is the most noticable difference of all. I've stepped off mine after 7 days with less fatigue than I'd have after a 1/2 day on the open Whalers. This is just a much better way to boat.

james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the Gulf of Mexico with any chop at all, it would be VERY uncomfortable to attempt to plane in a 22, full displacement speeds with the bow trimmed down as far as possible is the way to go.

5-7 kts unless you like having the crap beat at of you.

cannot speak for offshore, don't run there.

James

Last edited by james on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: flat bottom Reply with quote

There's many people more qualified than I to talk about the advantage and way to handle a flat bottom boat but, the one thing rarely discussed is how stable it is when stop on the water, enjoying the day in the cockpit moving about without the boat radically rolling with the weight shifting around.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I made a list of all the Pro's and Con's of a dory bottom vs a deep-vee. It surprised me A LOT. Had this long list 10+ items regarding stability, handling, fatigue, weight, hp req'd, gas mileage, minimum planing speed, comfort at anchor, etc, etc, ...then 1 item on the Con side, if I remember correctly, you gotta slow down in heavy chop. That's it. Turns out that too is a plus due to less fatigue and just a more pleasant experience.

I say, why be in a hurry to get OFF the water?
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagold,

I think you hit it on the fatigue issue. I've been out fishing for 8 hours on a 28 foot Jetcraft, and when we got to the beach you were tired. I've been out for 5 days on my 22 and the only thing I wanted to do when reaching the beach was take on gas, food, and water and go back out.

Tom

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that was really driven home for me on the way back from Ft. Meyers. I crossed Tampa Bay in gathering winds, it was rolly-polly coming across and some of the deep v's were sledding past, occupants with gritted teeth, and in rain gear from all the spray (and it was turning cold (again -- Thank God for Global Warming -- we can't take much more freezing down here) and I was thinking how fortunate I was to be in a cabin, with a heater going, watching them take the beating of their lives, all while I'm catching up on the 6 pm news (on TV). Next day, the forcast was for seas to build by 2 pm to 5-7 and many might not think anything of this, but the flats we cross are an average 3 foot depth, and the danger here is the same as on Lake Okeechobee, getting scooped on top and being deposited on the bottom which of course, breaks your boat bottom out (or the next wave floods you). As noted above, there are periods between the waves on our flats, you just don't notice them because you get hit with a solid bam bam bam type situation. Anyway, I sheltered at a nice little harbor with a McDonalds and Publix grocery and took off in the morning. Once I passed Anclote Key, I was the only boat on the water (not a real good sign normally), but never felt in danger in any way. Just plodded 10 mph on up to the Hernando channel and the winds hit full force as I turned the corner. Couldn't compare any deep v's since they didn't go out that day . . .
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: When to stay home? Reply with quote

flagold wrote:
Wave height 1/4 hull length or greater -- stay home -- not worth the pounding your equipment will take.

MM

I saw this quote from an earlier discussion and wanted to tie it to a weather report for the San Juans : ...SE WIND 15 TO 25 KT...BECOMING SW 10 TO 20 KT IN THE EVENING. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
Based on the pounding C-Dancer took this weekend with the report showing 6 FT. waves it didnt sound too fun.

Would most folks be comfortable being out in 4 ft waves in a boat greater than 16' ?

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: