thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used SS scrub pads. The mice/rats will eat thru many materials. I have used the bounce sheets for some time...certainly helps. But just in case, I often will put in bait stations if there is an issue. I have had far more problems with RV's than boats.

Even worse than a mouse aboard, is a rat aboard. Way back I had a 25' wooden boat which was kept in the water. We knew there was a rat aboard. There was a person holding a fishing rod in the cockpit, as we were slow trolling, who was sea sick. The rat darted across the transom, and the sea sick fisher, hit the rat with the butt of the rod and knocked the rat overboard. Hero of the day--but still sea sick!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with bronze wool, Scotch Brite pads, and spray foam to seal up small openings. We seem to have an amazing amount of mice on Hood Canal this year. When I told a neighbor, he said that he had been using poison. Poison can make the mouse stagger outside, where it is quickly eaten by our local weasels, bob cats, coyotes, etc. The poison then kills the predators and the mouse population explodes.

We can't keep them off our porch, where we have boots, coats, and chest waders hanging. Finding a nest in the foot of my chest waders, and having the mouse run out, was the last straw. I bought one of these (also gave some to neighbors). Often catch 5 in a night. I put maybe four inches of soapy water in the bucket so that they sink fast and are slightly "preserved" if I don't get around to emptying the bucket for a couple of days. Often have 5 in a night. I put less water in since I drowned a curious weasel. I want him to be able to jump out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X18ZS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: