The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lower unit lube
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Lower unit lube Reply with quote

What's your favorite brand of lube for lubing your outboard lower end unit?

Currently I'm using Mercury high performance lube, but I would like to know if there's better.

Thanks, Jon
Notayot

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the same lube, the bluish colored fluid. I've had good luck with it, and the Merc dealer where I buy it in PA says it is great at keeping water damage to a minimum if you do have a seal failure. I change it twice a year.

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that all of the "Branded" lubes are made for the specific engine manufactuer by one of the oil companies. I have generally used either the engine specific lube or Pennzoil brand lower unit lube. Pennzoil has a variety of lower unit oils. There is the GL4 Ourboard Gear Lube, the High Viscosity Lower Unit Gear Lube (GL 5 & 90 Hypoid oil spec) and Pennzoil 100% synthetic Lower Unit gear lube. Some of the older lower units used ATF.

Currently I am using the Suzuki brand, since the engine is under warantee for 6 years--I prefer to document that I have used their product. It probably is more important that the oil be changed regularly and checked for water, than the actual brand, as long as you have the proper oil.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Lower unit lube Reply with quote

I am a real bug about using ONLY the lubs packaged by the motor maker. The small difference in cost is not worth the worry of do I have the right stuff.

My two conts worth.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned some thing this week about the lower lube. when you go to repace the lube in the lower unit of the honda, there are nylon washers on all the drain plugs. These are not to be used again. they are one time use items. they do not reseal very well. I had done my own service up until this point and when I sent the boat in to les his guys fond a little ,very little, water in the lower case lube. hes said it was because of me reusing the washers. so repalce your washers.
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point, Tom. Also pay attention to your torque values when tightening the lower unit screws and oil drain plug. I have a bad habit of over tightening bolts and screws and paying for it later.

Today I purchased a torque wrench and it's amazing how little torque you need on these under water fasteners.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes on gearcase oil changes:

I agree with most of the above posts.

I would use the manufacturers lube if they package their own and if they have a 'synthetic' or 'extreme service' use that.

Otherwise, use Pennzoil or other top brands matching the recommendation from your owners manual.

Yes, do get new plug gaskets and use a torque wrench.

Use a gear-oil pump (Lubrimatic, fits a 1 qt bottle and has a screw-in fitting on the end of the hose), and fill gearcases from the bottom till the oil runs out the top hole(vent). Then put in the top(vent) plug, remove the pump fitting, and put in the drain plug. By putting in the top plug first, very little oil runs out while removing the pump and installing the plug. Then torque both plugs.

It is important to fill the gear case completely from the bottom to purge any air. If the gearcase is not filled completely the top bearing on the driveshaft can run dry and fail.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the Suzuki and Yahama 4 strokes have washers on the engine oil which also need to be replaced with each change, as well as the lower units nylon washers. I buy a dozen at a time, so I will always have new ones. Agree with Torque wrenches for tightening.
ahpeterson

City/Region: Seattle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm preparing to do the 20 hour maintenance on my pair of BF50 Honda outboards. Does anybody know what size nylon washers the BF50 requires on the lower unit plugs? Also, how much torque should be applied to the plug screws when re-fitting them?

Also, I'm curious about what sort of store will sell the gear oil I require. The local West Marine (Edmonds) just has their own brand, and I'd really rather purchase either Honda specific gear oil or something by one of the well known manufacturers. Any suggestions?

I've got a service manual on order but any info anybody could give me on these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alec
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the torque wrenches come with screw driver tips or just socket type? THe Honda's don't have a hex hed type screw but do have a philips head. Makes it hard to loosen them it seems.
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres better /without gettin to techinical i'll just say AMSOIL i've abused a lot of lowers and have seen differences when tearing down for re-builds.i swear by it .not knocking mercs oil but u asked for better. ..john
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec,

Why don't you have your dealer do the 20 hour service?

If you have any warranty problems later it will be much easier to deal with if you have proof that the dealer did the service..

The dealer service techs know what to do and what to look for on the 20 hour service. That service is a chance for the factory trained techs to verify that your motor is operating properly.

If you are still going to do your own service, buy the oil and plug gaskets from the dealer. Also buy a gear oil pump and fill the lower unit from the bottom up. Find out what the correct torque is for the screws. Don't forget to buy a torque wrench!

If you strip the drain and fill plugs, that's not a warranty item and could cost you a new lower unit housing and the labor to install it. If that happens, you will only have a shop warranty (maybe 90 days) on the rebuilt lower units. If you don't tighten the plugs enough, and water gets in, you have to pay for the repair. (your failures are not covered by warranty)

Have I convinced you to have the dealer do the service? In my opinion, the amount of money you could save by doing your own 20 hr service is not worth risking damage to the lower units and not having warranty coverage.

Larry H

Retired outboard mechanic.

Last edited by Larry H on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer,

Torque wrenches have a square stud either 3/8in or 1/2in onto which you install the correct socket. Sockets are available with screwdriver tips, both phillips and straight. Check a good auto parts store or Sears. Buy a quality socket. Cheap ones will strip themselves.

Be sure that the tip fits the screw, too small a tip can strip out either the screw head or damage the tip.

PS: See the post above to Alec.

Larry H

Retired outboard mechanic.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Larry especially on the 20 hour service. I had a local dealer do it and they changed everything but the gel coat. It was close to $400. There are a lot of things the tinkerer link myself wouldn't notice and the security of knowing someone knowing what to look for is worth the extra expense and inconvenience. Future oil changes I plan to do myself. In the Suzuki owners manual it suggest changing the oil filter every other oil change. Does anybody actually change the oil without changing the filter. I'm also a big fan of Amsoil first because I think it's a very good product and secondly it's so easy to get. Just a phone call and it's at my door in usually two days. Expense is about the same.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you get Amsoil, who are some of the distributors/stores?
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: