The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin 50s vs. Twin 60s for 22' C-Dory
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Twin 50s vs. Twin 60s for 22' C-Dory Reply with quote

I have decided to re-power my 1994 22' C-Dory. It is currently powered with twin Honda BF45s that came with the boat initially. I have 3 batteries, a windlass, 30 feet of chain, a live well, trim tabs and assorted other equipment on board. The boat seems sluggish with the 45s, slow to get up on plane, and I could only coax about 20knots at 5300 rpms out of her on a smooth day.

I've gotten some good prices on a pair of brand new Suzuki 4 stroke outboards. My mechanic has recommended that I repower with twin 60s as opposed to twin 50s to gain more power and provide better fuel economy by being able to cruise at lower rpms. The difference in price is negligible. The differences besides the horsepower are :

The 60 HP engines weigh 359 ponds as opposed to the 50HP engines which weigh 243 pounds. That equates to a total of 232 pounds more for the twin 60s.

The 60HP is 4 cylinders as opposed to 3 cylinders for the 50HP.

The torque for a 60HP engines are 8 to 10 each vs. 6 to 8 each for the 50HP engines(I couldn't make out the units of measurement for those torque readings from the Suzuki brochure

The 60 HP engines have 25 Amp alternators vs. 18 amps for the 50HPs.

The 60HP engine has a fresh water flushing port while the 50HP doesn't and will require rabbit ears to flush.

Has anybody powered their 22 with more HP than that recommended by the manufacturer? Any problems doing so? Does anybody know the rationale as to why the boat is only supposed to be powered with 100HP max?

Thanks,

Bill
Big Island, HI
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to a bigger hp would not worry me that much. the c-dorys are now rated for 115hp. Sark has a 115 suzuki on his boat that he really loves. what would worry me and stop me from doing the twim 60's is the weight. less weight is better on the rear then more. I would look at a bigger single or lighter twins, See what the e-tech's weight. I talked to les of E.Q. harbour services yesterday and he had his first e-tech come in for service. It was three years old. Thats the only one that has came in of all the ones hes sold, thats a good record.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

My 22 cruiser from 1991 was factory powered with a 70hp 2-stroke which weighed 250 lbs.

You are considering two 60's which weigh 720 lbs!!

One Honda 90 is under 400lbs!!

Just my observations,

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Capt'n Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Weight Sounds Like A Big Factor Reply with quote

I guess that I didn't have any reference point for what other engines weighed. That sounds like enough to steer me towards the 50s since even those sound like they are pushing it with the weight factor(486 pounds total for two of them).

Thanks,

Bill
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Other Options Reply with quote

I would also browse this link http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=2746

It has some pertinant points about this subject - for example:
Wefings wrote:
We have delivered a number of 22s with the 115 Suzuki. The rating has indeed changed . The single engine is more efficient than twins [due to weight and drag advantage ], and with the new "max power" , the advantages I see is the ability to cruise at a given speed at a lower RPM and easier ability to plane with a big load . Trim tabs are highly recommended with a 115, as the boat will porpoise [or "hobby horse" for you westerners] with that much power . Suzuki 115 and 90 are identical weight on the transom .Honda 115 is way too heavy , Honda 90 is lighter than Suzuki . The new EFI Honda 90 should be a good match as they have trimmed the weight a little bit, added the V Tec valvetrain, essentially copied Suzuki's brilliant gearing , and gotten rid of those darn pesky carbs. Lots of choices . I am a fan of the single and kicker, but its all in what you do with the boat , and personal preferences.
Marc
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This months Power Boat reports is supposed to have a comparison of single verses twin. I haven't got my copy yet but it should be interesting to see what they find out. Maybe someone else has received a copy already and might be able to let you know what the results were. I know you have twins already and probably wouldn't change but I though I'd mention it.
Ron
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also about the new honda. Its really closer to 96 hp then 90. They cant call it a 100hp because that would be over rating it which I guess you cant do but you can underrate it and claim you have the best 90.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, let us know what you finally decide on and how it works out. I also have a '94 Cruiser with twin BF-45's and am looking at repowering. I can get more speed than you do however, I turn about 5800 at WOT and can get near 30mph out of it.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Capt'n Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Honda 45s Reply with quote

Charlie,

Sounds like you've had good luck with your 45s. Mine had low hours(about 500) when I bought the boat, and I have had nothing but problems with them from the time I took ownership even though they checked out during the survey and sea trial. Hence the reason to repower even though they now only have about 650 hours. I think that the prior owner must have been neglectful.

Bill
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I bought the boat about 4 years ago, the engines only had 240 hours or so on each. The boat had not been used in 5 years when I got it. I have about 400 hours on the engines now and they have never let me down. I did have a lower unit problem on the stbd side, got a fishing line wrapped around the shaft and it cracked the housing just forward of the prop on the lower unit. Pix in the outboard forum. Bill and El sent me their blown power head 40 and I switched lower units with no problem.

Since then though, I have had a problem reaching full RPMS on that unit, it seems to max out at about 4500 while the other unit will reach 5800-6000 with no problem. Have tried everything, got help from folks on this forum but throughout last season it persisted. I'll try again this spring when I relaunch but am seriously thinking about repowering, either with twins again or a single new Honda ETEC 90 with Fuel Injection.

What have you decided to do?

Charlie (Captain USN, Ret)
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin 50's should be plenty of power. They should top out at about 30 knots. If you want more power you could get twin Yamaha 60's which weigh less than the Suzuki 50's. Lots of options out there.

Bill
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say aloha to the Joe Adams and Robert Kennedy at Windward for me , if that is who you are dealing with . The new Honda 90 is actually around 100 H.P While in Miami, Boattest.com and Honda tech dept. did tests on the 22 Cruiser. They should be on the sites very soon .
To sum it up , the motor is very strong , very light and will way outperform the twin 45s .
I actually saw 36 MPH on the GPS at one point when the boat was light with 2 people . I think it still got 32 with full fuel and a number of people on board .
But, I know that you Island folks like twins and I concurr that the twin 60 Suzukis are way too heavy .
The 50s need to be propped right . The redline for the Suzys is an industry high 6500 R.P.Ms . If you get them turning where they should , they will perform better than the Hondas .
And they dont have those pesky carbs.........
Marc

Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,
Is it possible the gear ratio is different in th scavanged unit?

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Checking the gear ratio is a simple test.

Remove spark plugs (SAFETY ITEM), remove flywheel cover (if any).

Mark one prop blade and flywheel(tape or marker).

Put gearcase in forward.

Manually rotate flywheel(normal direction only)(watch your fingers!).

Count flywheel rotations till prop makes one rotation.

Compare port and starboard motors.

I would also compare the two lower units in the exhaust passage area, any restriction in the replaced lower unit could be choking that engine.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc , how does that 9-0 do on the cruise ship? have you loaded it down with the typical gear for cruising? i was supprised to see that engine on that 25. Is the old 25 lighter or heavier then the new 25?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: