View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Site Down This Evening Reply with quote

As many of you noticed, the site was down with a rather rude message for most of this afternoon and evening. The message gave the impression that the "owner" of the site (me) had done something wrong, or had not payed the bill. By "owner", I mean the person who's name is on the account with the ISP that hosts this place - we all know this site is "owned" by the community here. Mike and I are just caretakers, but I digress...

For those of you who missed it, here's a link to the page that was displayed.

Here's what happened.

Around 4:30PM PST, the message at the above link started appearing. I immediately contacted the ISP that hosts this site, and opened a support ticket. The ISP responded fairly promptly, telling me that we had exceeded our disk space quota. I was fairly sure they were mistaken; the photo albums take up a lot of space and grow rapidly, so I pay very close attention to how much space we're using. I had just checked it last night, and space was fine.

Anyway, their response was to "delete some files", and the suspended account situation would resolve itself once our disk usage dropped below our quota. Trouble is, when they locked up web access to the account, they also locked me out of all the administrative tools I have to manage the site - tools necessary to "delete the files".

When I pointed this out to the support technician around 5:00PM PST, all response from him ceased. I attempted numerous times to follow up with him - I was ignored. As of about 11:00PM PST, another tech support person picked up the ticket. Once he did so, the problem was fixed in minutes.

There was no problem on our end - we were well below the disk quota, and the site has been pre-payed through October of 2004. This was 100% a screw-up on the ISP's end.

As you can all probably guess, I'm none too happy with the way this turned out. I can handle an outage from time to time; that's to be expected. But to have rude notices displayed, indicating the site owner is a deadbeat, I find completely unacceptable.

The good news is, as I touted back when we left MSN - we are in control here. I backup the site nightly to my local equipment, and if the need arises, I can have this place moved with virtually no interruption in a couple days to another ISP. Such a move would be completely transparent to everyone accessing the site. I'm investigating the possibility of doing just that, but a final decision has yet to be made.

Until then, please accept my apologies for the outage this evening. I'll do what I can to make sure it's not repeated.

In closing, I feel compelled to state the following, due to email responses I received while the site was down. This site will NEVER suffer the fate that hit another popular C-Dory site when it was suddenly, and unexpectedly deleted. The caretakers of this site care deeply about it, and would never intentionally take the site down. If you ever see strange messages or weird site behavior while visiting, rest assured we're on it, and will be working to get things back to normal as fast as possible. Great care has been taken to ensure nothing intentional or accidental can ruin our community. There's so much more to this place than a bunch of text on a screen; this place is alive with great people sharing wonderful experiences. Please don't ever think those of us managing the nuts and bolts under the covers don't realize this every day.

Ah crap...it's getting late, I'm tired, and I'm getting all mushy. I hate it when that happens... Love Love Love

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, shucks. I feel so special... Embarrased
I'm just glad to see that it's all patched up. It really sucks when you're trying to fix a problem that's not yours and you have to deal with people who don't care. How 'bout a Beer to cheer ya up. Very Happy
And if that don't do it, maybe give 'em one of these. Moon

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation of what had transpired Mike. I knew it had to something beyond your immediate control and that you were on it. And it is nice to know that you have taken and continually take the steps necessary to protect the content of the site if it is ever necessary to move it to another ISP.

I will have to say I really missed getting on last night. This site has become part of my daily life.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, glad you got it fixed, sorry you had the problem in the first place. Please keep up the great work!
CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for a job well done-- you too Mike. Your efforts are well appreciated.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is this is the best site on the net and you guys made it that. Please know that your hard work and time is appreciated.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Thank's for the explanation. As usual, your (Mike too) communication to the members is Star Star Star Star Star.

Is there any way for us Pubbies to help instill a sense of how much this site means to us? Maybe get us the email address or phone number of the ISP customer service manager so that we can pass along well crafted and professional diatribes about our feelings for this site and the people who frequent this establishment.

Jon

wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a double take at this end though we were zapped .... lol .. thanks for the explanation .. wc
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was feeling like a fish out of water yesterday afternoon. I got ahold of our IT guy and accused him of cutting me off. He obviously didn't, but It wouldn't surprise me if it happens one of these days.

After he pointed out what the message said, I started thinking about who is paying the bill for this wonderful opportunity to interact with all of you? Can't imagine it's a free service considering theres no advertisements to be found. I realize money was not the object for the interruption to service but I sure wouldn't mind paying my fair share to keep this site up. Tim
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

As someone with recent dealings with folks from the comunications industry I can sympothize with you and want to aplaud your efforts on behalf of your fellow C-Doriers. I figured it had to be some glitch and knew it would be explained in good time when ironed out.

With the exception of you and Mike, most of us get way more out of this site than what we put in. And I know, you both say thats not true but I do want to thank you very,very much for all your efforts. My boat and boating would not mean nearly as much to me without this place. Tonight I'll tip one for all your work last night and ask that you not have to go through it again.

Tim

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Da Nerd. How does it make you feel to have made so many so happy? Can we talk about your feelings?
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go Bill, your efforts to keep this place up and running are greatly appreciated. It seems to me that if you have computer stuff AND people involved, stuff is bound to happen on occasion.
Jon - CLou

C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does he know how to fix computers, he can fish too! Geez, I never thought I'd say computers and fish in the same sentence. Shocked
Jon
Jeff and Diane

City/Region: Renton, Washington
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Immacu-Nada/"C-Spaz"
Photos: Immacu-Nada
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to check the forum before leaving work last night and came to a shocking realization Exclamation The wrong web site was deleted Unlove Eventhough I don't log on every day, I realized that I have become a co-dependent c-brat site user Smile Thank you for all of your dedication and hard work that makes this site possible. You are awesome!!! and we Love Love Love YOU Razz Diane
Jon - CLou

C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane, one heart was plenty. Now I'll never get his BIG Head under our new canopy. Smile Just kidding Bill Thumbs Up
Jon

Last edited by Jon - CLou on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: