Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... our antenas give us away as to what either is...or could be inside. Like others have stated... just don't let stupid hurt...and cover what you can as to keep it out of the eyes of quick-grap theifs/thugs.

BUT.... if you have marina's to choose from, you might be surprised what local police reports from the address will show, or....just ask your insurance agent if they have differant rates for the marinas you could use...or plan to use...if you are so fortunate to have more than one to choose from.

It is all only stuff.... and other than the just general get over-it being mad of getting hit,,, then maybe we need to look at what things we value in life. Joel is target on here.... Bill and El have traveled how many miles....and would have for sure missed many of these places if worried about their stuff...

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marina theft is an odd phenomenon...

Years ago, I was having a set of batteries stolen each summer month from a slip near a camping area. I later moved across the marina lagoon (about 30 yards away from the original slip) and kept a boat there for 12 years with not a single thing stolen. So, as mentioned, opportunity is a major factor. I think the campers were just cruising around near their sites at night to find easy pickings, but would not take the trouble to go around to the other side.

Also, I used to keep a sailboat at Treasure Island Marina in Panama City ,FL and had not a single theft problem until one day, as I was running back and forth to the car, unloading the boat, in broad daylight, someone glommed onto my camera bag!

I usually take the easily removable stuff out of the boat in a gym bag type thing as I leave - gps viewer, depth finder display, and now the Raymarine E-80.

John
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock on Teak, we have not had a theft, yet. I feel a little forethought when outfitting your boat can discourage would be thieves.

For example, Mount VHFs flush to a panel and double nut the brackets, For bracket mounted Radar receivers and such, use round headed metric allen head screws, Impossible to loosen with pliers and needing a seldom carried tool to be removed. Everything that's bolted down should be designed to be hard to remove. If they can't get it fast, they may move on.

Electronics stores have red blinking LEDs that draw just miliamps. Just seeing a blinking red light next to a door or helm is enough to repel or discourage some aspiring thieves.

Above all, carry good insurance and enjoy your C-Dory...

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: