The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mooring at a Marina
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Mooring at a Marina Reply with quote

C-brats,

Having never done this (justifing my question), once I get my C-Dory (its being rigged), when cruising the San Juans (or anywhere else for that matter), when you moor at a Marina, (here's the question), do you need to worry (I know its irrelevant in the big picture), about theft ?
I'm wondering if I go to Friday Harbor on a Saturday, moor the boat, go off for the night, and come back Sunday morning, will my radio, fishing rods, etc., still be on the boat? I don't think there is any where to lock up things on the 19.

Tom
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom&Shan,
It is a risk anyway you go, the only thing you can do is try to minimise your exposer and hope for the best. What I mean by this is to take the items that are not bolted down and store them while you are away from the boat. This would mean leaving them say in your tow vehicle which could result in the same fate as leaving on board, it is a crap-shoot when it come to theft. I have stayed at marinas on my 22 footer and even with my locking door I am still a little afraid that something may walk away. I trust and count on the good side of people to respect others rights and personal property. Hope you have many great experiences and avoid those unwanted violations. Dan
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another good reason for window covers and a mooring cover.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
That's another good reason for window covers and a mooring cover.

Same with our camperback. Although the only real precaution we take when we're going to be away from the boat for a few hours is to put the generator inside. The only things we leave in the cockpit are easily replaced; the cabin door gets locked anytime we are away from the boat.

The San Juans feels better than many coastal places, because the great majority of folks there are doing what you are doing - cruising on boats. While there are bad guys anywhere, it seems that this is reduced when you are away from urban land-side places.

It's also a good reason to get to know the folks in the slip next to you - "Hi, my name's..." After a very short conversation, you know that they will watch out for your boat when you aren't there. And you will do the same for them.

Most boat thefts are crimes of opportunity. Friday Harbor is a big place with LOTS of people around... not the most comfortable situation for a thief. Keep things covered and put away... and have fun!

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom&Shan

It just depends a lot on the individual marina.

Some have security guards on routine patrols, are well lighted, and are in basically an upscale safe area. Others are not so well positioned or maintained.

For longer term moorage, having live-aboards around and getting to know them is a very good move in the neighborhood watch direction. And so is making friends with the night watchman.

My Sea Ray has a presssure sensitive mat and a 135 db alarm system on it, and I doubt anybody could get to the door without losing their hearing and allerting everyone in the marina and up on the I-% Pit River Bridge, too.

It goes a long ways if you just eliminate 'crimes of convenience' by storing things away out of sight. I keep my Honda EU 1000i generator on my CD-22 covered with an innocuous cardboard box under the dinette table to not tempt anyone.

You don't have a bulkhead or door, but about a year or so ago, B~C added a 1- 1/8" cam lock on the door to reinforce the standard issue Perko lock/doorknob from C-Dory. I added one of them, too. Since screws on the hinges can be simply backed out with a screwdriver, I suggested through-bolting the hinges with machine screws and aircraft Ny-lock nuts.

But then again, just like your house or your car, a determined thief or professional rip-off artist can get in anyway.

And this isn't funny, but one of our highly valued and respected c-Brats had the radar dome stolen off his boat beside the house at night when they were home, and others have lost motors in the night to professionals who unbolt them or simply cut them off of the transom with a chain saw!

I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know, but may be a heads- up needed by some.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 19 I would do several things: Make a box which is lockable and bolted down (under a seat or bunk would do). Put the electronics and any valuables there--try and keep this as hidden as possiable. Get some 1/8" SS 8 x 18 cable, and a hand swedging tool. Make a series of cables either swedged around the reels and rods, or thru the guides etc. It just makes them much harder to steel. I would also put a very simple alarm on the boat. I like a piece of monofiliment, tied down on one end across the cockpit, the other end tied to a pieces of plastic, which keeps a roller micro switch open. When the microswitch is closed, by pulling on the monofiliment, it trips a relay and any 12 volt siren or strobe light can be attatched to this. All of these items are avaiable at Radio Shack for about $50. Put a switch under the gunnel to arm or disarm it. Tell the next door neighbor or the nightwatchman where this switch is in case of a intrustion.

We have never lost any electronics, but have lost several dinghies, outboard motors, oars, barbeque etc thru the years. We now lock or keep these items on the boat. I do take the electrolonics off the boat if we are going to be away, even at my home.

There are also a number of in-expensive motion detectors, which are self contained--these can be put in the cabin and prevent thieft.

I generally think the San Juans are pretty safe--but you never know. Do the best you can, have plenty of insurance and enjoy yourself.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Retriever" is at a municipal slip next to a public park There are no gates or fences to restrain the public. It seems like at least one boat per season gets hit.

I leave nothing in the cockpit and use curtains on all the windows. The window to the right of the door lock is stickered with a warning and, reveals a flashing red LED. Opening the door trips an alarm sensor - I didn't think a motion sensor would work on a boat.

So far so good.

Phil
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just park next to another boat with a lot more valuable stuff on it than mine. In the San Juans, that's easy to find!

But seriously, I take the stuff that's expensive an easy to carry - fishing poles and down riggers and leave them inside the boat when I walk away. However, I've been out at Neah Bay many a time and see people leave all sorts of stuff on their boats without much of a problem. I've heard of people loosing stuff from their trucks out there but not from their boats. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a problem.

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The self contained motion sensors do work in the C Dory pilot house--or in a lower cabin such as in a sailboat or express cruiser. You aim the sensor so that anyone entering the cabin will enter the beam.
alg

City/Region: Drummond WI & Citrus Hills, FL
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: SHALJE
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built and installed a plywood door to seal the V berth area. Valuables get locked up when I have to leave. Removable hinges make it easy to take it off when not needed. It does not get in the way when under way and makes using the port-a-potty more private.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom & Shan,

In our two seasons of cruising, we've spent 90% of our time in the San Juans and have never felt threatened by break-ins. We do however lock our door and put our valuables away in the v-berth.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just money and stuff..... I figured out years ago that those were things that were pretty far down my list... so I buy insurance...and if something goes wrong I don't let it ruin my day...or vacation... it's a one-way trip..ENJOY !!!

Joel
SEA3PO
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we agree with Joel -- insurance! Don't let theft worries mar your cruising -- take normal precautions, have insurance, and off you go!
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with loss of items on a cruise is that often they are not easily replaciable. For example an American boarded our boat in broad daylight in Greece, started to agrue that we would take him to Italy, and as I was "removing" him from the boat, lifted Marie's camera. Equally as difficuilt a loss is that of anchors (I have know of at least 4 cases where some SOB cut the anchor rode and stole the anchor in the middle of the night--an arguement for all chain rode). Or the loss of electronics with charts which cannot be replaced at the point of the voyage were you are.
Or even worse ships papers, passports or clearance papers. There needs to be a "secure" place in every boat. It doesn't have to be a safe (but we did have steel safes glassed in our our larger boats)--but a lockable box which is difficult to break into.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've cruised for 30 years, been in marinas and anchored out in many different countries, including Mexico and the Bahamas, and never had anything stolen. This includes week long trips to see sights, many overnights for the same purpose.

That being said, we don't do anything foolish (deliberately,) meaning we lock the cabin and portholes, and keep valuables out of sight. We also don't go into crummy situations, such as bad marinas, etc.

Go cruising, act as you would at home, and enjoy a new world.

Journey on, Boris and Judy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: