The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Covers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill3558

City/Region: RIchmond Hill, Georgia
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pluto
Photos: Pluto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Window Covers Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what works well for interier window covers. what have you experienced folks found that works well?
I was thinking of making templates and going to a canvas shop to make pieces with snaps I could put on as needed.

Does C-Dory offer them?

Thanks
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the time to go through the Photo Albums you will find a ton of different idea's for window covers. Here is a sample of what "Wild Blue" did:

This is along the lines you were thinking, but there are many other ways to get the job done.

No, they are not available from the factory, But they can be obtained from King Marine who did the factory's canvas back when the factory was a dealer.....

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke

Last edited by Papillon on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the factory offers them, though King Marine. We have a set for Wild Blue, and use them daily. They are made from Sunbrella that matches the rest of our canvas, and snap on from the inside, except the windshield cover - it's one piece and snaps on from the outside. While that certainly eliminates light through the front, we don't use it when at anchor... if there is a problem, I want to be able to see out NOW. We use a large set of automotive windshield covers on the inside that "spring" open; made for a truck, work well in the CD-25.

We also added a snap to the long covers for the side windows. They sagged in the middle; this fix was no big deal.

Realistically, it wouldn't take much to make a set of these (Joan made a cover for the hatch over the v-berth that matches), but we took off cruising immediately upon picking up the boat - no time to make a pattern, then covers. I am very pleased with the factory covers, but (like any Sunbrella product) they were not inexpensive.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Bill3558

City/Region: RIchmond Hill, Georgia
State or Province: GA
Vessel Name: Pluto
Photos: Pluto
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Wild Blue, thats a nice set up.

Looks like you know how to have a good time too!

I didnt see a website for King Marine. If you know of one I'd appreciate the link. Guess I can call Wefines where I got the boat.

Have fun!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the covers from King and installed them. Judy's happy.

I installed the front cover on the inside, and that worked well. Can someone tell me why a front cover should be installed on the outside? Especially if all the other ones are on the inside? If one needs to get it off at night, who wants to walk forward, especially if it's bouncy.

By the way, I had to buy snaps and the tools to install them. Used Defender, since West Marine was really expensive. Got the lock jaw pliers and they were worth it.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Can someone tell me why a front cover should be installed on the outside?

Journey On

I think it's because it would be very hard to get enough snaps on them to hold them up halfway upside down on the front window, whereas on the outside, gravity makes the Sunbrella fabric lay against the window and fewer snaps are needed.

Probably the same story as on RV's, although they often have vertically hanging drapes on a track mounted around the cab from the ceiling on the inside.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our sunbrella covers, including the 3-piece windshield covers, are installed on the inside.

We just replaced the appropriate screws in the window frames with screw-in snaps of the correct length and diameter. This way, you can put in as many snaps in whatever position is best...

The screws in the door frame are of a different size than those in the windows- we had to order a different size of snap for the door.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that unless you order the window covers from the factory, you have to install the snaps on the canvas your self. There is a very handy set of snap installers which fit on the jaws of a square Jawed Vise Grip--and is handy to have aboard.

Because of a factory mistake in color, we ended up with two sets of window coverings. We installed the proper color inside. The wrong color, we put on the outside of the windshield. No problem with 4 snaps on each window pane getting the single piece windshield cover to properly fit on the inside. Same thing for the outside--with less snaps. The outside cover will also help to protect the glass when trailering--which I do believe is important. If we had not been given the extra cover, we would have made one for just this purpose to prevent rock pits and etching on the windshield. We also use silver "windshield" covers from Wal Mart on the inside to reflect heat during the summer. This helps considerably to decrease the amount of air conditioning. I suspect that it would also cut heat loss when heating during cold weather.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While our album does not have any good photos of our window covers, they are made from a translucent, coated, canvas-type material. I think they are a superior alternative to Sunbrella as they keep out the sun yet still transmit light. I'd recommend talking to your canvas shop about alternative fabrics. I'll try to post some pics eventually, but it won't be for a while.
Al

Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made our window coverings with Sunbrella fabric and we love how they work for us. I made one long cover for the port windows, one for starboard, and one for the windsheild (inside). I made three separate covers for the back windows.
Installing the snaps onto the fabric was easy, as was replacing some of the window screws with snaps. (In our 22 there was no need to use 2 different snap sizes).
One nice surprise has been how well they work to keep the sun out when it's hot as well as for privacy at night.
I just made a pattern out of paper, cut out the Sunbrella, and sewed bias tape around the edges.
Come to Poulsbo, I'll show you!
janet

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought three big towels and some velcro. Total cost less than 20 bucks. 'elegante'

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. I got the idea for our curtains from Minnow. They are permanently installed draperies that can be pulled closed instantly for sun protection, they don't need to be hauled out at night and rolled up in the morning, and they are a light material that doesn't leave the cabin looking like gloom and doom in the morning. They can be seen in our photo album---Daydream.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Curtains Reply with quote

Patty,

Very nice curtains. What kind of curtain rods and hooks did you use? Where did you get them? Thanks.

Rob
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's King marine's address and phone, they're right by fisherman's wharf near the ballard bridge.

2600 W Commodore Way
Seattle, WA 98199
(206) 283-9346

depperson

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Mary Ann
Photos: Mary Ann
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Just finishing a set for my 22foot cdory Reply with quote

I have completed 7 so far, I bought some nice sunbrella 5 yards and 100 stainless steel snaps from Lowell distributing. I would highly recommend them. Very good service. I attempted to hand sew the first cover, found out it is nearly impossible. My wife suggested hot glueing the seams. This seems to work well. I can turn out one in about 1.5 hours with this method. The snaps were easy, used an awl and held up curtain to the snap, puched a hole. Lined up perfecly. glued on a small 1.5 inch piece of webbing to back up. I am really pleased with the results. My only fear is that the glue holds, but it seems to be real solid. I think I have about $150 total invested in the project. Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: