The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Baja?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Baja? Reply with quote

I am interested in a group trip to Baja, but I don't know enough about it to know whether it is feasible, where to go, the potential problems, etc. Have any Brats (solo or in groups) taken their boats to Baja, either by trailer or on their bottoms? Is there anyone out there knowledgeable enough to be a group leader?

Inquiring minds want to know all the details!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent and Dixie on Discovery have done it many times. Also, check out the photos on "Jammin". We've done the Baja several times, but by RV (and dinghy or kayak). Yes, it certainly is feasable, doable, and fun. Do a search for cruising guides for Sea of Cortez and you'll come up with plenty of information. That area is also on our "list."

Best wishes,
Jim B.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been to Baja, and the mainland several times, towing small sailboats. Also sailed down to La Paz, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallerta. While sailing is not the best way, we enjoyed our trip and the people, places and marinas were great. The border just south of San Diego is having some troubles over whose drug territory it is, but further south should be OK

Too late for us this year, but I'd like to try it next winter.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone to Baja/Sea of Cortez in Sail/motorsailers a number of times. I would suggest that you trailer to the upper Sea of Cortez, either on the Mainland or Baja Side.

From Enseneda, you can get fuel at San Quinten (but it would have to be Jerry juged, at Turtle Bay and at Mag Bay--(again jury jugged and perhaps some distance. I would strongly advise against taking a C Dory or Tom Cat down the outside.

A resource is http://www.vagabundos.com/ this club has been in existance since 1966, and origionally started as a group who took their trailerable boats to Baja/Sea of Cortez. They have insurance for RV, Truck, trailer and boat. I don't know if they still have the guides which they once produced.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, what can you tell me about the hazzards of driving/trailering to the upper Sea of Cortez?

Last year I was involved in a minor auto accident near the Cancun airport (a taxi appeared "out of nowhere" at high speed behind me as I was making a left turn and we scraped my inside -- no damage to me, minor damage to him). I paid the guy off with $100 and continued on my way, much shaken by the extreme discrepancies in speed on the highway.

Is driving to Baja anything like that?

Thanks,
Warren
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren, I've made many trips to baja with and inflatable or renting pangas once we reached our location. I have yet to take Best Day south of the border. All of the advice received here so far is good advice. I think a C-Dory is better off cruising the Cortez side of Baja than the Pacific side. The Pacific side could be done but weather would have to be watched and good ports or anchorages would have to be found ahead of time. The weather on the Cortez is much more forgiving. The major concern being winds. If Santa Anas are blowing in Southern California it is best to hold off on your trip. Santa Anas in Southern California mean strong Westerly winds through out most of Central Baja.

Make sure you get insurance for the tow vehicle, boat and trailer North of the border or on line. If you are going to fish or have fishing gear on the boat each person on the boat will need a Mexican fishing license (wether fishing or not) and the boat will have to be licensed to fish in Mexico. The licenses are about $45 each and last 365 days from purchase.

Your best bet for launching is Puerto Citos (spelling?) just south of San Felipe. They have a launch ramp there. Tow slow and make sure that you do your driving during the day. A major concern in Baja towing is that the roads are narrow. A C-Dory is less than 8' wide so hopefully your trailer is only 8' wide and not 8.5'. I've smacked side mirrors with trucks coming the opposite direction on the highway at 60mph! You definitely don't want to have that same experience.

For more info check the Vagabundos website. I would definitely be interested in doing the central part or the Cortez for a week in a couple of months. I would be mainly interested in diving, spearfishing and diving for scallops. If you were looking for a partner boat maybe we could work something out.

Bill
Doryman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I am looking at a Baja trip in a couple of years, not a couple of months! Never too early to start gathering information, though. Thanks very much for your suggestions...

Warren
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,
I have made three trips to Baja with my truck camper and towing a 17' whaler and a 19' Arima. My trips were strictly fishing with no cruising. The driving is very doable as long as you only drive during daylight and take your time. Another thing that helps is to travel with at least one more rig. This gives you more safety factor in case of mechanical problems. I made two trips all the way to Cabo and one to Loreto and the only problems I ever had was one flat tire. I think a C-Dory cruise to Baja would be a great trip.

Doryman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
Another thing that helps is to travel with at least one more rig. This gives you more safety factor in case of mechanical problems.

That is what I would like to do. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be another Brat wanting to convoy down there.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Warren
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just consider that the roads are narrower than in the US, that in some areas the repair may not be as good, the C Dory group of boats is as easy as any to trailer. Have spare tires for the truck, and trailer, you want plenty of spares and to have running gear in as good condition as possiable. A trip the length of Baja or across the mountains is much more than a run down to San Felipe. Another good option is to Guaymas which is a major highway.
Doryman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
A trip the length of Baja or across the mountains is much more than a run down to San Felipe. Another good option is to Guaymas which is a major highway.

Assuming that I trailer to San Felipe or Guaymas, what is boating from there going to be like compared to boating in the U.S.?

Thanks,
Warren
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to go to the mainland side, ie through Arizona, it is a divided 4 lane highway (not quite our standards) all the way to Guyamas. Just north of Guymas is San Carlos, which is a nice resort area frequented by Norte Americanos with several marinas with ramps and lends itself to being a good base from which to cruise the Sea of Cortez.
Doryman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxieabs wrote:
If you decide to go to the mainland side, ie through Arizona, it is a divided 4 lane highway (not quite our standards) all the way to Guyamas. Just north of Guymas is San Carlos, which is a nice resort area frequented by Norte Americanos with several marinas with ramps and lends itself to being a good base from which to cruise the Sea of Cortez.

Sounds like the perfect place for a first trip. Thanks!

Warren
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann,
We have trailered boats to the Baja since the early 1970's and love it down there. We've towed the CD22 and the TC24 all the way to Cabo San Lucas and made all the stops in between. We agree with what everyone has already posted about the road, fishing licenses and insurance. We also agree with Thataway that boating down would be much better in the Sea of Cortez, rather than the Pacific. We've had boats out in the Pacific 35 to 50 miles from CSL and Mag Bay but only as day trips and you definitely pick your days--that's really big water. We have trailered to and cruised and fished out of every major port on the west side of the Sea of Cortez. We are not the trip leader type, but would be glad to share what knowledge we have obtained in our trips there. One thing is for sure, things change in Mexico from year to year--not with the terrain but with the politics. In the future we we would like to take the TC255 down--either by trailering or cruising, but haven't made any specific plans yet--we're still loving life in the Keys! PM us with a phone number and sometime we can talk about a plan. Wild Blue has also expressed interest in the Sea of Cortez--maybe a good trip for next winter. Oh I Love Retirement!!!!

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Weather in the Sea of Cortez can be variable. This area is subject to Northers, Westerly, occasionall rain etc. You pretty much have to check on the local weather. I like to use weather charts from NOAA--certainly available from the internet, but also one can recieve the same products with a radio like the Grundig YB 400 (I have seen them for sale at our local West Marine for $100)--and a decent antenna (long wire will work fine) and a program on the computer. There is a demodulator to acquire the radio audio output and allow the computer to read this. (We had dedicated weather fax machines on our larger boats--not something a C Dory would carry)--also most of the major resorts will have a weather report. Watch the local fishing boats. Remember that the Pangas are relitatively sea worthy and somewhat similar to a C Dory. There can be quite a bit of chop in the afternoon. We have seen winds in the 55 knot range at times, and with a fetch--you don't want to be in that.

One has to realize that the upper Sea of Cortez is not really tropical during the winter--and most of the cruising boats go to Mazatalan or South Baja. Even La Paz can be cooler than Cabo in the winter. The Further South you go the warmer the water and air temp. For example Cabo is currently in the mid 80's--Guaymas is in the mid 70's (air temp). Water temps are going to be in the mid 60's in mid Sea of Cortez--and not to the 70's until you get to the Southern part of Baja. On the outer coast of Baja (Pacific), typical weather is North Westerly building to 25 knots in the afternoons--and it is quite a thrash up the coast.

Some places you will find good launching ramps and marinas, other places you may be wise to hire a local who launches off the beach with a tractor. There was a very ambitious plan with marinas every 35 miles, a railroad or good highway to transport boats from South of Ensendea to the Sea of Cortez, and it didn't materalize. Some new marinas have been built. They are very nice--and more expensive. We generally prefer to anchor in off the older parts of town, and do our shopping in the central Mercado--but with an occasional visit to Sam's club or the SuperMercado!...In rural areas things are still very primitative--in the resort areas--very modern--sort of on the surface....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: