colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark:

I too have a 2006 22' cruiser and had a cabin leak I chased for almost a year before I found it. It came out from the area of the cabin bilge pump, water was always just outside the "bowl" that pump is in. I noticed it coming under the plywood rear seat support. This sounds a lot like your leak. I finally found it!!! I took the water tank out and saw immediately that the nut securing the air vent to the water tank was not tight. There was an obvious water line down the cabin wall. when I chaeck I found the nut was barely hand tight and no sealant had been used on the inside. Cap Sante Marine is going to do the $611 warranty service to fix it (they ground out some of my glass to make a pocket for the nut after mis drilling the vent hole Angry ).

Maybe this will help.

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... sounds just about exactly what I have been experiencing. I see the water around the bowl for the bilge pump. I will give them a heads up, if they can't find it I guess I will start taking things apart and see for myself. So let me get this straight all the water is from the tank? Did Cdory take care of the warranty work?

Sark
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark,

Here's the whole sequence: 1st day on the water, new boat, approx. 1 cup of water on cabin floor when back to the dock. cleaned up, checked next trip, same thing, tightened foot pump from water tank, thought that was it. That seemed to help for a while. Noticed water outside of the bilge pump "bowl" port side, behind the wooden shroud for the bilge pump bowl, rusting ell bracket, drained/cleaned bilge bowl, did inside/outside with 5200, 5200 on joint where plywood shroud meets cabin floor. Thought that was it. Seemed OK for a while. Noticed cabin rug was damp after sitting outside the house with no in the water travel. Pulled it up, water on floor. Angry Angry .

Boat stored outside house, kept rug up to chase the water leak. Just happened to notice a slight water track coming under the plywood base, port side aft dinette seat approx 12 inches forward of bilge shroud. opened under dinette table storage a little water there, evidence of water there more than once. Thought it might be the clamps on the water line from tank to pump or to the water level tell-tale. Took out the angled base for the storage compartment under the aft dinette seat. Could feel water on cabin floor, saw rusting ell brackets. Couldn't see or get to the clamps to inspect/tighten. Cut the two lines beside the bilge bowl and took the whole water tank out. As soon as I got it out I immediately saw a water stain line coming down the cabin wall from the water tank air breather fixture to the cabin floor. Checked and saw that the breather hole had been cut so high that the nut to secure it would not fit in the space available. Some fine craftsman had then ground out glass just above that hole, to the core!!, to make room for the bolt. Practiced anglo-saxon vocabulary. Started to take nut off to assess and repair. Nut was barely finger tight. No wrench needed to get it off. Lock washer but no sealant on the inside of the cabin wall so with little or no compression of the rubber gasket on the outside of the cabin wall where the breather tube exits, I surmise that water from rain, dew, spray, etc, seeped behind gasket, down wall to cabin floor. Took the part out, cleaned, dried both inner and outer surfaces, taped over hole through cabin wall sprayed water on outside of cabin wall and waited. No water down the wall. left for a couple of weeks. No water down cabin wall. Noticed an opportunity for seepage where the cabin aft bulkhead is glassed to the cockpit sole (you'll see the line where the smooth cabin bulkhead meets the rough cockpit sole), so for belt and suspenders, ran a bead of 5200 across the entire beam where those two join plus on the inside bulkead wall back by the port side where the bilge bowl is glassed in. Everything seems completely dry now. Took photos to Les at EQ who forwarded them to C-Dory and got instructions to take the boat the a local marine service center (Cap Sante marine) to get an estimate. Estimate $611+. Waiting for C-Dory to OK before I get the work done. Put the boat back together without the water tank while I wait as I'm not going to let any delay get in the way of my boating. I will try to post the photos I took on the C-Cakes photo album. They're not too clear but you'll see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty similar, except I get more water when it rains but in the same area's, I get water under the step inside of the door that flows out and down through the cabinet under the wallas and then out of the hole where the foot pump is. Also notice water behind the water tank and down through the under seat storage on the water tank side. I don't think it is the water tank. I 'm betting on where the bulkhead and cockpit floor seam meets. I told the guy as much, but he kept talking about the rub rail leaking, which I did have a problem with but was taken care of when Cdory did my 20 hour service. All I know is it is not just condensation, way too much water for that. Hopefully they will actually take that area apart and get to the problem. If not I will start taking it apart myself, and see what I find. Thanks for the heads up though.

Sark
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark,

I had a similar leak that took awhile to find. Mine was due to a lack of sealant around the fill cap for the water tank. When the boat is at rest in water, it tilts such that a little water pools in that area. If you look at the part of the boat you can step on as your going forward from the cockpit, at the end of the non skid area, there's a little rise in the fiberglass that's designed to keep all the rain water that hits the side of the boat from running into the cockpit. Water pools in front of that step up. Problem is, the fill cap to the fresh water tank is right there. If it's not sealed, a lot of water can come in during a rain storm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: