The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is having a marine toilet on a 22 a good idea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Is having a marine toilet on a 22 a good idea Reply with quote

We are looking at becomeing c-dory people and are trying to determine what are the best options to have. The issue of a toilet verses a porta unit came up, any comments?
We plan on fishing and boat camping around Van. Island and would any feedback. Call us newbies........
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is having a marine toilet on a 22 a good idea Reply with quote

A Porta Potti is the only way to go on a 22...no room for a marine head. We deleted the marine head on our 25 and went with an Air Head Composting Toilet - a decision we do not regret, despite the snickers from the ignorati...David on Anna Leigh says if he were doing it over again, he would delete the marine head on his 25 and go with a large Porta Potti unit in the head compartment. I'm sure there are some positive points about marine heads, but I can't think of any...

usana wrote:
We are looking at becomeing c-dory people and are trying to determine what are the best options to have. The issue of a toilet verses a porta unit came up, any comments?
We plan on fishing and boat camping around Van. Island and would any feedback. Call us newbies........

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree, that the porta Potty is the best head for a CD 22. There are a lot of advantages to a PP--including no thru hulls (the marine head requires two), can be moved to give more room and privacy if desired, easily emptied at multiple places, including over board and at home if desired. Less to go wrong, nothing to clog--and you haven't lived until some one puts a paper towel or sanitary napkin into a head, it plugs up and the guilty party has pumped up pressure trying to get it out!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is having a marine toilet on a 22 a good idea Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
We deleted the marine head on our 25 and went with an Air Head Composting Toilet - a decision we do not regret,

Now there's an item I can identify with! Seriiously, I looked it up and , if I could fit it on the Lizzie, I'd buy it.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bring up a question for me. can you plumb a port a potty to be pumped out with out taking it out of the boat? I have tried to use a pump out at the dock with the port-potty but it did not work very well. I would consider putting a port-potty in a 25 as long as I don't have to carry it out every time i have to empty it. Is there a method to it I don't know about? deleting the holding tank in the 25 makes room for a fish box in the floor right?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thetfort Porta Potti 735/775/ 875/885 can be fitted for dockside pump out thru a deck plate. I don't think it is easy to change from pump out to pour out, but it can be done, with a little change of the plumbing.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about pumping out a porta potty, never needed to do that. On our 25, the holding tank is under the motor well...I don't need a fish box, but do need to figure out some way to use this space (we still have the plastic tank installed but not connected to anything, it is just wasted space right now).

starcrafttom wrote:
This bring up a question for me. can you plumb a port a potty to be pumped out with out taking it out of the boat? I have tried to use a pump out at the dock with the port-potty but it did not work very well. I would consider putting a port-potty in a 25 as long as I don't have to carry it out every time i have to empty it. Is there a method to it I don't know about? deleting the holding tank in the 25 makes room for a fish box in the floor right?
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I did on my 25 BEFORE ordering it -- deleted the marine toilet and holding tank and put a SaniPotti in (has a pump out fitting also, but never used it). I dealt with a marine toilet for 6 yrs on a prior boat, never again if I can avoid it. If you can 'love' a toilet, well...
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Don't know about pumping out a porta potty, never needed to do that. On our 25, the holding tank is under the motor well...I don't need a fish box, but do need to figure out some way to use this space (we still have the plastic tank installed but not connected to anything, it is just wasted space right now).

Well - since it's clean and unused and since you're in the beer business, that tank could make an excellent beer storage location. If it won't hold sufficient pressure to keep the CO2 in, then I suggest you use it for margarita's - that will make you EVEN MORE POPULAR at C-Brat gatherings. (I'll bring the limes) Cocktail

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-

What a great fisherman like you needs is a slick combination fighting chair/marine toilet!

You'll save precious room on your CD-22 with this innovative dual space user that allows you to fight your trophy fish and take care of business at the same time!

Nevermind the nay-sayers, they didn't like the Composting Toilet either!

Our exciting new Deluxe model is modeled of Titanium, Staninless, Delrin, and Lexan and is guaranteed corrosion and bulletproof!

This model is derived from the NASA Mars Model which will be sent to the Red Planet in 2025 along with most of your income tax money.

Only $12,995 complete with vacuum pump. Must pass Homeland Security Check before delivery.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - when that HUGE fish bites - you know the one that was so big you nearly dirtied your pants - with that chair, you're ready.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny dumb story that fits in here. I had been fishing with susans day on folsom lake for land lock salmon and trout. Susans dad was new to downriggers and I was teaching him. After about 6 hours of nothing Ed asked "well what other tricks do you have." I said " well they only bite when I am smoking, eating or pissing." so I lite one up took a bite of a sandwish and leaned over the rail to unzip. About half way thru the third act My rod got slammed and Ed would not get it for me. Dam near lost the fish!! Nice three pound land lock.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi usana,

Welcome aboard; I see that is your first post. People who have never used a porta-potty are often grossed out by the idea of it. Consider being in a boat for more than a couple hours without facilities? Disgust The PP is easy to use - slide the lever open, do your business, slide the lever closed. Put a bit of proper chemical in there, and there is no problem with odor. We have had PPs on our previous boats, problem-free. The head on our 25 is a Dometic/Sealand which, for all practical purposes, is a big porta-potty that has to be pumped out (or dumped with the macerator pump). The only advantage of this head over a typical PP is the capicity (we can go a week or so, being conservative). The disadvantage is that you can't carry the holding tank to a toilet or dump site. I have never known a marine head that didn't plug up... and then you WILL be grossed out.

The lowly porta-potty has a lot going for it: low tech, easy to use, easy to dump, portability... and if you do have a problem (not likely), toss it and get another one for less than $100.

Spending time on a boat means you will have to deal with the potty situation... just because it is a little different from the toilet in your house causes concern for those new to the situation. Fear not - know you can boldy GO where ... well, you get the idea.

Your real concern should be: how soon will I feel inclined to give up a good paying career and become a boat bum? Wink

Again, welcome aboard.

Jim B.

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our community dock has a pumpout. There is supposed to be a fitting which
will allow the porta-potti to be pumped right through the hose. While
I doubt I would do this in the boat, not carrying the tank a few hundred
yards to where it can be dumped would be nice. We apparently lost the attachment,
but I've been told it can be purchased. I'll probably look into buying one.

With exception of a vacu-flush, I would prefer a porta-potti over most other
systems. Vacu-flush fascinates me. Anyhow, too big and complex for most
C-Dorys.

Mike
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you spend quite a bit of time looking at used boats, you'll notice that a lot of smaller -sized cruisers in the 25-35 ft range have had their marine toilets disconnected and removed to be replaced by Porta-Pottis with pump out fittings.

This happens, of course, not only because overboard pumping is only allowed off shore anymore, but also because (I believe) folks have gradually wised up to the reality of Murphy's Law in action in their marine toilets.

In some ways, the Porta-Potti may be the best thing since sliced bread. (Boy is that full of bad imagery!)

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: