View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Raymarine adds sirius weather to c-series Reply with quote

Well I noticed that Raymarine is bringing the capability to get sirius weather for the C-series displays. It sounds like a great feature but sirius want's $29/month for the service. Seems kind of steep.

Also Raymarine is coming out with an AIS receiver. Might be handy for those that travel around shipping channels ect.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got to play recently with a Sirius weather on a 12" plotter. It was impressive, but I would not buy it. I use my eyes, radar and radiio (both VHF and AM reciever)--the AM will give static from lightning, and you can time and see if it getting closer. The local VHF or television gives the general forcast. Visual will give storm fronts, rain, and lightning. Radar tracks storm cells. You cannot outrun the storms many times. All of the Sirius weather is available on the internet--if you have it available.

Where it might be a help, is when you don't have a TV or internet connection and want to cross an open body of water. It might help with storm cells. But we experimented tracking cells with radar vs the interntet doppler Radar, and with Radar we had adequate information.

I think that we will see much more use for AIS in the next few years. The most recent proclimation from CG commmander suggests that AIS will be required on more boats than currently (smaller commercial boats, fishing boats and larger yachts).[/b]

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: