The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wiring Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Wiring Cover Reply with quote

I have noticed in several photo albums there appears to be a wiring cover made of fiberglass/plastic that replaces the snap in original. Is this a kit that is available or are they custom jobs?
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP, do not know about a kit but my boat was new in September and it has a snap in vinyl cover. From some of the posts I have read the fiberglass/plastic cover rattled, came loose and was a pain. I think they must have gone back to the vinyl cover. I am with you it is not the best.

Fred
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 was built in Feb of 03 and had the hard cover. However the thing kept tearing itself loose from the bulkhead because it was only held on by four screws into the fiberglass on the top and bottom. I made a teak track that the top and bottom slide into. Haven't had a problem since. I know of several others that have done the same. There are some pics of some of these changes somewhere. I know there is one of mine on the Anna Leigh album. Don't know if the factory has any left or not, you could ask.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Pea: Photos of the fiberglass cover with the slide-in teak wooden moulding/rail are on the first page of 2nd Byte's Photo Album which is the first one listed under Photo Albums.

Strangely enough, my '87 Cruiser was one of the first out of the new Cruiser mold (January 7, 1987), and (I'm the 2nd owner) never came with any cover for the backside of the helm station. Since I don't sleep up there or spend time there (my 150 lb Great Dane, Shadow, does, though), I've never considered adding a cover, as it would only impede access to the wiring center of the boat. There are quite a few in-line fuses there that sometimes need checking, etc. Happy Thanksgiving! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - my 1987 CD22 didn't show any signs of ever having a cover, either.

You can see David's cover solution right here, and Mark's in his 2nd Byte album starting with the fourth picture here (there are four shots of the process in Mark's album).

We haven't been able to get Mark to bring his boat down from the frozen north, so I haven't seen it yet. I have seen David's cover, and another one that he did just like it, and it looks and works great. Very easy to remove, and doesn't rattle when in place. I don't see how one could improve on that!

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Wiring Cover Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your quick reply. I just took possession of a new 22' Cruiser to be named Swee' Pea. I happened to notice that mine came from the factory with a vinyl snap in cover. I will call the factory and see if they have a fiberglass job and have a try at the teak grooved rail. Hope you all are enjoying Thanksgiving.
This has to be the best site for us novice C-Dory owners. The combined experience of all of you makes us newcomers a lot more comfortable.
Be safe
John P.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, we're glad you looked us up and decided to join. We're are a lot more than just CD folks, and we're always glad to welcome a friendly face (even if we can't see it). We can, however, set you up with a photo album titled Swee' Pea if you want to share some pictures of your boat and yourselves.

You might as well settle in here. One of our other members pointed out that he doesn't see any way to "unjoin" this group, so it looks like you're stuck, anyway!

Have fun, Welcome aboard, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fiberglass wiring cover is one of the few (I think only) gripe I've experienced with Otter. Its screws popped out on my two day cruise home from the dealer, when I encountered a 4-foot chop and small craft advisory on the Chesapeake Bay. It was surf city all the way down the Bay, but hard pounding as I rounded Point Lookout and headed NW up the Potomac. I reseated the screws with marine goo, but that only lasted a few months. I like that teak slider solution!

All the best,

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on. The C-Dory original fastening system on the cover was a poor execution. As everybody that has had them knows, after the first few times of removing the panel cover you've got problems with the screws working loose in the glass. The teak (or oak) rails to slide the cover in and out really do work slick. I believe David on the Anna Leigh installed a latch to hold the cover in, which is probably a good idea. I didn't install a locking latch and the cover stays solidly in place yet removes easily........and no rattles. Apparently there is enough friction to secure it well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: