HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Davit Crab/Shrimp Pullers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE MANNELL

City/Region: Vancouver, WA.
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: GUNNY-D
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Davit Crab/Shrimp Pullers Reply with quote

Was wondering if any of you have mounted a davit on your C-Dory's? If so, in your opinion, what types and manufactures are the best? There is no access below the deck on the C-Dory, so I've been told you have to cement/epoxy the base/deck plate of the davit and incorporate a gunnel bracket as well? I want to go with an electric pot puller...

Just thought I'd pick your brains Idea on the subject. Thanks.

Mike

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Guerhart Davit (for lifting motor, ice chest and dinghy) mounted in the aft stb side of a cruiser 22. The base plate was screwed into the floor with #14 screws and well set in 5200. The collar which supports the arm is bolted into the aft coming. See http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=41
For the davit--this setup can be used for a crab or prawn davit.--or at least the idea.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Mounting brackets for puller Reply with quote

Snoopy-C has mounting brackets as was suggested. You can see the stainless mount on the side of the gunnel, near the downrigger, and on the floor. It was heavily epoxied to the floor with no screws. Most of the floor work is hidden by homemade floor boards. Since I don't know how to include jpegs in this note, I'll insert it in the last photo in my album. Sorry about the inconvenience. Ron[/img]
MIKE MANNELL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoopy C,

Thanks for the feedback...sounds like that's the proper way to mount a davit in a C-Dory...

Mike
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
I just ordered a davits from McKay crab & shrimp supply in Brinnon WA. I've got the phone # if any one is interested. I'm getting a davits made of schedule 80, (the thicker stuff) The gunnel bracket has teflon inserts. The price was less then the schedule 40 davits I seen at the boat show. They also have gas and electric motors to mount on them. I plan to mount the base onto some of Tyboo's famous plastic wood, glued to the deck. The gunnel is about 3" outboard of the deck, so a spacer or some type of bracket will be needed to mount the davits vertical.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Davit Crab/Shrimp Pullers Reply with quote

We have a spiffy little electric pot puller, does not have a brand name on it, and I can't recall, but we bought it a Lummi Fish Supply in Bellingham, WA, and it cost $475. It mounts on a downrigger hump, goes on and off very easily. Not the fastest or most powerful for sure, but plenty of puller for crab or shrimp pots, sure beats the heck out of doing the pulling by hand...I will see if I have a pic and put it in the Daydream album...
MIKE MANNELL wrote:
Was wondering if any of you have mounted a davit on your C-Dory's? If so, in your opinion, what types and manufactures are the best? There is no access below the deck on the C-Dory, so I've been told you have to cement/epoxy the base/deck plate of the davit and incorporate a gunnel bracket as well? I want to go with an electric pot puller...

Mike

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I just installed a crabbing davit on our 16' last weekend. I took pictures to post a how-to, but haven't got that done yet. You can see a picture of the finished product in the Denebola photo album.

I posted the name, #, and address of the place where I got mine out of WA. in a thread called crabbing davit in the Cockpit & Accessory forum. The davit I bought also has a pin lock for the in-use position and for the travel position as well. He will cut to fit the height you want and he sells with a motor bracket and has B&S or Honda motors. I just got the manual labor style for bay crabbing.

I did screw mine to the floor with #14 lag screws and it went in tight. I had asked Les about this and he recommended screws for the fact that if you ever want to replace / remove it, you can. I did use marine grade silicon to keep the water out.

I used the "plastic lumber" for a base as well. West Marine sells it as Starboard but I found the same thing for much less$$$ at TAP Plastics. I used a 1 inch thick piece for the floor which I shaped to give a flat top side, and a 1 inch piece to bring the gunnel mount out far enough to make a perrrrrrfect fit. Tap Plastics calls it C-Board, which I thought was totaly CDish Very Happy. They will cut to size, although I bought a scrap 20"x10" for only $10. you can cut it with a regular hand saw and then I used a wood rasp to shape it from there. I hear you can use a small hand plane as well, just keep the blade depth shallow.

Be sure to put the gunnel mount on first and then slide the post through to see exactly where it will fall so that it won't bind on you. I made the mistake the other way and had to move my base a little. This meant more holes in my boat of course Cry Cry Cry.

Okay, I guess I've just about written the how-to so I will post the rest of my pictures on the Denebola web site so you can see some of this and when I do the actual how-to, I will have one of the nerd gods move it into the library.

I'll put pictures on now. Jon

Stimpys Dad

City/Region: COFFMAN COVE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Stimpy
Photos: Stimpy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: My 2 cents on Pot Pullers Reply with quote

HI MIKE,
I PURCHASED AND INSTALLED THE EZ ELECTRIC POT PULLER MFG. IN BRINION , WA.
THE INSTALLATION IS NOT ALL THAT HARD TO ACCOMPLISH AND THE POT PULLER IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN AT LEAST FRESH CRAB MEAT.
I WENT WITH THE 3 PIECE UNIT (ALLOWING ME TO EASILY STORE IT IN THE V BERTH), WITH THE LONGER OR TALLER DAVIT. THE EXTRA HEIGTH MAKES IT NICE FOR ME BEING A BIG PERSON, IT ALSO ALLOWS EXTRA CLEARANCE ALLOWING ME TO BRING THINGS INTO THE C-DORY SUCH AS THE INFLATABLE ETC. REGARDS TO ALL DOUG, AKA THE STIMPSTER, CURRENTLY AT WORK IN PRUDHOE BAY AK.

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures are posted, just click photo album next to this posting.

Jon
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Davit Crab/Shrimp Pullers Reply with quote

OK, here is a pic, if I can figure this out (I struggle every time).

MIKE MANNELL wrote:

Mike

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:10 am; edited 12 times in total
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I install a couple of different pullers pretty frequently; the EZ-Puller from Hoodsport, WA and the Ace Line Hauler from Vancouver Island, BC. We also have mounted the Brothers Welding pullers and they're essentially the same mounting system and the EZ-Puller. I did install one smaller (black) unit from Canada but the arm was at gunnel height and I didn't think it worled very well (I can't remember the name of the thing at the moment).

The Ace Line Hauler (same as Pat's photo above) is a very well made and compact unit and utilizes a Scotty downriger mount and Scotty dowringger plug; makes it perfect for those that already have Scotty electric downriggers. Its size and looks are perhaps a little more in keeping with a recreational boat although it will pull up to 100 pounds and up to 100 fpm. This one retails for just under $500 USD (no mount or plug-in)

EZ-Puller also has a model that mounts on the Scotty downrigger mounts but doesn't use the Scotty plug (too much amperage). The also have the traditional model with the side (gunnel) and base mounts.

We use electric pullers exclusively. There are a lot of folks out there succesfully using gas powered units but most were purchased before we had the choices we do now in electrics. The electric models are lighter, quieter, safer and easier to stow; by comparison a gas model is heavy, noisy, hot, and dangerous with its open capstan. It's also more difficult to remove from the mounts and one has to be attentive to possible gas leakage when the unit is laid down.

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Embarassed

I erroneously called the Ace Line Hauler an Armstrong in my previous post and have corrected it.

Typing in one's sleep is not a good thing Wink
MIKE MANNELL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your valuable input. I want to go with an electric for sure...so this definitely gives me a few options... Smile

Mike
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at the Everett Boat Show (first annual and very cool because it is right don the street!) I checked out "Cushman boat/EZ pull products, inc. The rep had pics of a mounting on a C-Dory with the one inch gunnel spacer and the base mounted on the step. The main part was removable but the receiver on the step stayed as a hazard & pain. I mentioned this to Jeff at the land of C- Dory, and they are going to add two steps (one on each side) in the stern area near the fuel tanks. I plan on using one of these "steps" as a base mount for a puller! If you haven't ordered a boat yet, give them your ideas, some will be workable!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: