The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker on Classic w/ Trim Tabs - 25 or 20-inch shaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stwagstaff

City/Region: San Francisco
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Aldo
Photos: Aldo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Kicker on Classic w/ Trim Tabs - 25 or 20-inch shaft Reply with quote

Another kicker question regarding my Classic angler 22.

I'm about to set it up for fishing and I'm going to mount a kicker, but still haven't selected one yet. I'm looking at a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust with a 25-inch shaft. I saw that RedFox likes his extra-long kicker for the deep 'bite' it gets in the water. Anybody else have an opinion about using an XL kicker?

Would this cause me problems beaching, or in shallows? Would I be able to clear it completely for motoring with the main? Any other problems?

I'm hoping the XL shaft would let me mount the motor on a "mini-jacker" type fixed bracket, to avoid the failure hazards of a swing-arm bracket, and would also let me clear the trim tabs I mean to install.

Thanks,
Sean

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sean,
Welcome Aboard C-Brats...I know you have been here a short time based on the number of post you have made but I failed to say hello...but while I am at it, I took the time to visit your web site and was very impressed with your 3D renderings.

If you have any spare time please take a shot at the C-Dory as a subject of your next spin around your graphic pallet. We would love to see what you can come up with along these lines.

As to your question about kickers and mounting. I am in the process of adding a 10hp Honda on a Mini Jacker for the same
reasons as you mentioned. I don't like the retracting mounts and I need to move the skag back a few inches to avoid the Bennet Trim Tabs (120). As far as the pros and cons to whether the extended shaft will do a lot of good I have my
doubts. The hull of the C-Dory lends it's self to easy movement without going to that degree of over engineering. The only reason I can picture where this would come in handy is if you find yourself in some very heavy seas that was pitching the boat fore and aft and bringing the prop out of the water. I keep an eye on the weather and have no plans on getting into that predictiment in the first place.

Good luck and lets see some pictures of your boat...ask Tyboo (Mike) for a Photo Album and post lots of pictures of your boat and voyages.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
stwagstaff

City/Region: San Francisco
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Aldo
Photos: Aldo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the kind remarks about my 3D work. I'm sure I will get to modeling / rendering a c-dory some time soon -- I've already been sketching them. Maybe I can talk the folks at the factory out of a set of loft lines...I'll do it eventually in any case, just for the fun of being able to pre-visusalize my own boat mods. Would be nice if the measurements are accurate, though.

My boat has the Cassic low roof, and I'm 6'2, so I'm already working on plans to do my own high-top retrofit.

As for the kicker question, I think the 25-inch shaft probably is overkill. It's just that I had a line on a really nice price on a 2006 that's still in the crate. Looks like a great motor, but I won't buy it if it's not going to fit my boat.

I will post pictures, eventually, but want to do her justice Smile

Sean
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not real familiar with the classic but here are some thoughts:

There are a few pics on page 2 in my album that show the mini jacker with a 15 mounted on the newer stern. Might give you something to think about. On page one you can see when the kicker was mounted directly to the stern. It is even with the main. So if your main isn't popping out of the water the kicker shouldn't either. Your kicker is going to be out on the corner more. Now look at how the mini jacker sticks up a little higher than the original stern. You can see I put a 1x1 to lift the motor higher just so I could turn the lockdown clamps.

If you go with the mini jacker on the classic I don't see how you can have room to tip the engine out of the water? Or even hang the engine without a cutout in the stern? AFAIK: You need one of the swing down/drop down brackets. When raised this will pick the engine up out of the water while still being in the vertical position.

The problem with this type of bracket is when you drop the bracket down the engine powerhead/controls/tiller drops down over the back of the boat also. Making all hard to reach. This is where that 25 inch shaft MAY be worth getting. You could have the prop in the water just like a 20" but it would raise the tiller 5" higher making it easier to operate. And if you ever have heavy seas you could drop even further down for a better bite.

Figure out how your gonna mount first. Any way you go I don't see the 25" as being a problem if your gonna save some $$$. You could drop it on my mount and I bet it would push just as good if not better. No worse at hull speeds and below with a power prop.

Lastly: if you do what RF Greg did it'll work and you should be happy.

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris is right on....I missed the fact you were dealing with a Classic and did not consider your transom limits. I am glad Chris replyed here today because his pictures of his kicker install is
going to save me a lot of head straching and hole patching. It's always nice to have a picture book of the mod you are planning to refer too.

Chris, I wish I had seen your boat out of the water during the Gulf Coast Geathering and I could have asked a bunch of questions of you at the time.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

I too wish I would have climbed in your boat for a closer look at the differences in the angler minus bulkhead. Gotta love the big cockpit. And the Tomcat and the 25 and the 18 that were present. Lots of little details to note and small changes over the years. I just felt uneasy about crawling aboard others . Lookin back: A missed opportunity for sure.

Ask away on the questions. That is how those pics ended up there. Another guy was wondering... The mini jacker still does not quite account for the angle of the stern, as far as tilting the prop well clear of the surface at all running attitudes. It is better but not perfect. When I get time, I am going to add some of those wood door shims under the mount and I think that will do the trick. It should both increase clearance between skeg and trim tab and tilt prop well clear of water. Lastly, it should be better balanced for trailering. Reducing stress on the mount.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Kicker... Reply with quote

Sean,

I have a Honda 8 on my 22 Cruiser, but think the Yamaha is a better motor for trolling. I fish with a cousin on several of his boats, both with Yamaha 8, LS, electric start and tilt. Plenty of power, very smooth. I don't think you need to go bigger than the 8 horse.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: