The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

First Launch of the "no-name" Angler .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: First Launch of the "no-name" Angler . Reply with quote

On the second to the last day of the year, 2006, Tom and Shan launched their "new" C-Dory, a 16' Angler.
We purchased the boat back in October and have spent ($$) time and money getting it seaworthy. The steering cable was split open on the back and that was the first thing to be replaced. After several trips to Seattle Marine to get the right cable - i.e. the C-Dory online manual has the wrong cable listed for the 16' Angler, a new cable was in place. PFD's were purchased, a horn, and other miscellaneous items. Then a week long side trip to Ballard to have the engine tuned up, our first attempt at starting it up, bleached thick smoke, and no water out of the pee hole.
Now it looked like we were ready to go.
We trailered down to Sandpoint to launch on the shores of Lake Washington. No crowds, so plenty of time to practice backing up the trailer. Down in the water, roll the boat off into the water. Unloading the boat I learned that the ramp was deeper than I thought, as my rubber wading boots filled with water. Damp and squishy, I sloshed back to the car to move it into the trailer lot. Shan tied the boat up at the dock to wait for my return.
Now we were ready to head out into the water. We jump into the boat, turn the key, errr... errrrrr.... errrrr.... eck.....ek....k...dead. Ahhh, the battery was dead. Now what. We sat on the boat for a bit, well, at least it floats. So, back to the car, back down, load the boat up. We get the boat on the trailer, but its a little cock-eyed, the starboard side is sitting on the fender. Back and forth, roll it off, try again. Then another truck pulls up hauling a Boston Whaler. They ask, hows the water. Other than the quart of two in my boots... "We didnt go out - dead battery." Oh yeah, one of the guys comes over, jumps in our boat and fiddles with the connection, try now, yep dead. Yells to his buddy, we bring that extra battery. He jumps back in with the extra battery, connects us up. "Try now." Up she fires away. "Just return to us here when your done. If we miss you here's my card." They then jump into their whaler and off they go. I get in the car and move it back to the trailer lot and head back to the boat.
Shan's going to drive she's the expert. We back out, the boat is not responding too well. Maybe she's not that good of a driver. I dont know whats going on, Shan mumbles under her breath. We get the boat turned around and head out into the open. Shan makes a sharp turn to starboard, and the boat quickly heads to port. "You connected the steering cable in wrong !!!!", she yells at me. Opps.
So, we did spend about an hour tooling around Lake Washington, made it back to the ramp, got the boat loaded on, and back to home. I spent last weekend re-doing the steering cable, feed it in the wrong hole originally, went and got a new battery, so, cant wait to head out again.
Photos posted in our album.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good looking boat! You will have plenty of interesting stories to tell as you gain experience with your new vessel. The "steering situation" will likely get repeated, spread throughout the internet, and become another of those "urban legend" tales! Wink

If it makes you feel any better, there are some folks here who, even with their steering connected properly, have had that "it won't go where I want it to" situation. Just like getting to Carnegie Hall: practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us; we'll be anxiously awaiting the next installment! Very Happy

Best wishes,
Jim B.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ! Dead battery....we all go through that...I keep the boat plugged into the house when I am at home and the 110volt system keeps the battery topped off... But I also believe in changing out the batterys every 3 or 4 years... I can't imagine being offshore and having a dead battery....and those big motors don't rope start real well...

Joel
SEA3PO
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's official now. The boat looks great. Tom and Shannon look great (nice jacket Shan) and the Volvo-that picture should be an ad for the V70!
Get one of those battery jumpers. Always good to have in the back of your wagon to help out your neighbors. Also, glad to see you've got some long lines, good for towing and for going through the big lock. You will go through it sooner than you think. Boy what a set up-two nice people, a 16 footer and a Volvo-hope I see you on the lake soon. Marty Peace
Oh yeah-always carry an extra pair of dry sox!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not alone!!! The first time out every boater has to "pay your dues" Cry With a little time a system will be developed and going out will be less difficult.

Sweet 16!!! Very Sharp looking rig.

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Shan

Really enjoyed your description of first launch and run. Also the pictures. Always good to be able to connect looks of boats and people with names on the site. We came very close to buying a 16 before the 22. Liked a lot of things about the 16 better than the 22. Just know you will have some great and fun times ahead.

When you really need to be extra careful is when you think you've really got a handle on everything. I'll give you one example of what happened to us. We were very inexperienced when we purchased our 22 and then shortly thereafter headed to Alaska and the Yukon. After the trip north we were beginning to think of ourselves as old hands. The weekend after our return from the trip north we went up to Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park. Before launching there was a group of people came over to check out the c-dory. The c-dory seems like a magnet for that and still does. Any way us being pretty well full of ourselves from our accomplishments on the trip just had to let everyone know just where we had been and all the things we had done. Then we preceeded to launch the boat with out the plug. Worse yet I drove off with the truck and trailer to park them leaving Jo-Lee with the boat. If it wasn't for her quick reaction after realizing why the boat was filling full of water it would have been much worse than a couple of real red faces.

Jay

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't have guessed it was possible to connect the cables backward!

You are going to have some nice trips on that boat.

Try walking on the trailer tongue...

Mike
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage! Lots to learn...we learn something every tine we go out.

Might think about some side guides for your trailer, it makes loading and unloading easier by centering the boat...no more hitting the fender.

Happy boating
Rick & Donna

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan-

What a maiden voyage!

Great that you have a sense of humor about it!

After that, I'll suggest a TEMPORARY name for your boat: Murphy's Law!

Goood luck with everything from now on, You'll have a great time with her!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose that we take it upon ourselves to follow Joe's lead and respectfully suggest a name for Tom and Shan's 16 footer. I suggest "TomoShanter"
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about C-bout or Reboat....maybe Tinytanic

Joel
SEA3PO
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom&shan – I am very happy for you two. I hope to cross paths with you, on the sound someday. Enjoy your boat.

_________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: