The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A Hammock for Hedonists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: A Hammock for Hedonists Reply with quote

I thought I should finally get around to explaining the hammock photo in the MOOSE album, for those of you with similar hedonistic tendencies. It is a 3' x 6' cargo net from US Netting. I ordered the one with three inch spacing, even though it is more expensive than the six inch. And I'm glad I did because it's more comfortable. On the short end near the cabin's visor (which doesn't show in the photo), I split a 1" hardwood dowel on the band saw and then sandwiched the net between the halves with numerous electrical cable ties. This acts as a spreader bar. Two cinch straps from the spreader bar to the cabin-top rails secure that end. The other end is merely draped over the front rail and secured under the anchor roller with a third cinch strap. The installation is solid and does not unduly stress the rails or the cabin "visor", since the cinch straps hit higher up on the more solid cabin roof. The netting isn't cheap (seems like it was about $350) but you will find no better way to lounge on a summer afternoon. Hmmm, summer afternoon - there are no finer words.
Al
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, my wife was trying to find a comfortable position to lounge on the bow of our newly purchased 22' cruiser and I told her about a picture I had seen of someone who built a hammock to fit over the bow rail. I did a search of the forums to find your post. I am interested in the specifics (pictures of how you attached the webbing).....great idea.
===============================================

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Moose. How about some pictures of your hammock? Been waiting for posts of this project. Sounds great.

John
Swee Pea
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following site with pricing. I was kind of interested but it looks like a 3x6 piece of netting would be $553.50. Am I looking at the right thing?

http://www.usnetting.com/HTML/cargo-web.html

Rob
Alasgun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: A Hammock for Hedonist Reply with quote

That does seem a little high, you might try Memphis net & Twine.com, they have a wide selection of items and you may get a better price.
Mike
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I use to make Hammocks as a hobby. It's very simple and you can make the exact shape you want for probably less than $30. Memphis Net and Twine sells a little booklet on net making that covers this plus the shuttles and seine twine for making them. You don't need real heavy netting #36 twine is what I used with a 3" stretched mesh. I've got a picture of the hammock posted in my album in the modifications album. It attaches to the top rails with hooks I made out of some cutting board material and ties to the bowrail to allow for adjustment. Takes about two minutes to install.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: