View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Electronically Aided Collisions Reply with quote

Boat US Jan 2007 Seaworthy had several articles regarding safety at sea with dangers posed BY electronic devices. They discussed actual claims made to their insurance depts. from accidents caused by "aids."

The first discussion was a discussion about "The Video Game Syndrome." Electronic systems are fun to operate -- some even come equipped with joysticks. "Interactive displays show charts, radar, depth, speed and wind and even television...operators become so intent watching their "video voyage" that they forget to look up." We have personally known several accidents that occurred from this problem.

The second discussion was about limitations, inaccuracies and failures of electronic equipment. GPS can have sat. malfunctions or atmospheric, DOD, or datum changes. We have had instances when GPS showed us on land and times when DOD blocked the transmission in uncharted 'sensitive areas.' If we had autopilot steering by GPS, and we weren't paying attention out the window, we would have been in trouble. There have been numerous insurance claims from this cause.

Third discussion was "allowing the boat electronics to assume command." Autopilots are the major cause of claims in this subject area. Several involved deaths when a boat on autohelm, with the skipper distracted by a boiling pot of water; need for a chart, binoculars, or camera; looking at the chartplotter; or distracted by conversation, rammed another boat. Some boats have run aground into islands while on autopilot and the skipper is not 'guarding' the helm.

Of course, these events can occur even without autopilot, but they are far more common when the boat is being electronically steered and the skipper has a false sense of confidence that all's well and doesn't have eyes 'on the road' and hands on the helm. There is an entire article on the hazards (from insurance claims) of autopilots being used at night.

Rule 5 of the COLREGS states: ...every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means."

El and I are of the opinion that, except for fishermen trolling at slow speeds, an autohelm is totally unnecessary on a small boat -- and, in fact, is dangerous. Boat US claims substantiate that opinion.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!!!

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the SBS I picked up a 48deg North mag. There is a story of a small boat on a mooring bouy in snoring bay on Sucia Island. this is a very small bay with rocky shores.

After dark the owner looked out a port to see a large motor yacht pass by at cruise speed into the bay. It did not even slow down until firmly on the rocks. The two people onboard appeared to be intoxicated.

Don't know if they were on autopilot but obviously no one was watching!

Steve
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helm on the bridge of the Polar Adventure is operated by joy stick and is navigated 100% by electronics. Joy stick integrates bow thrusters and twin engines. Helm photo was by my son this last summer while being cadet observer on board transporting crude between Valdez and Anacortes.

Makes you want to consider the possibilities? I think like everything, boating (shipping) is a function of professionalism no mater what equipment you use. Electronics can give you much faster info compared to plotting and I have seen pictures of some nasty dead reckoning gone wrong wrecks also. I still keep a compass and charts though because they give me a bigger overview.

Pete in NY
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete --
Great photos. Great to see the equipment on such a large vessel carrying a hazardous cargo. When we have been aboard large vessels they often have at least three people in the wheelhouse -- and at least one always was responsible to have their eyes on the water, so that the others could guard the helm and the instruments. In our experience, they all carefully followed COLREGS #5.

Yes, professionalism and prudence are the guides to safety afloat. We were certainly not suggesting that, on our small boats, we should cruise without electronic assistence -- chartplotters, radios, depth sounders and perhaps radar are all essential for safety at sea, and we should all be equipped with such instruments if we are cruising any distance -- we should know how to use them properly and how to dead reckon and carry back-up compass and charts in case of their failure.

Of course we use GPS, and don't navigate using dead reckoning as our primary navigation. The point of the Boat US article was not that we should cruise without electronics -- but, as you said, simply that we must use professionalism and care with electronics -- and not forget, as those on much larger vessels also must not forget -- to use our eyes, while on the helm, and watch out the window. Last summer we cruised by the site where, a few months before, the largest BC ferry, reportedly on autohelm with watch crew not paying attention out the window, ran into a very large island and quickly sank -- a fatal lapse of attention.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete-

Nice post on the Polar Adventure! Nice set up for a really big hazardous cargo.

Imagine such automation on a small boat.... would there be more more "joy" in a steering wheel or a "joy stick"?

The newish 44-foot Coast Guard Surfboats have a '"fly by wire" connected wheel on the flying bridge station, but only a joystick on the arm of the helm seat below, which looks more like a dentist's chair in front of a TV studio's switching console!

Where'd the seat of your pants thrill of sailing or maning a small outboard in a big sea go?

I'll take the tiller of a 15 foot dinghy sailboat in 15-20 knots of wind over any of the above anytime!

Joe.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auto pilot has existed for many years, and is not unique to the age of GPS. We can recall almost being run down in the 60's by power boats with no one visually at the controls in the channel between Los Angeles and Catalina. Also at that time people were "doing other things below deck" when the boat ran into breakwaters, beaches or the islands, when the boat was on auto pilot.

I don't entirely agree with Bill. There are lots of low speed boats on straight line voyages, or even multi track voyages where an auto pilot actually will help with standing a lookout. We have had auto pilots on most of our boats--but not on the C Dory or Tom Cat. The reason is that we took long voyages--or even a 150 mile trip across the "big bend" of Florida--on auto pilot. I spent many 5 to 6 hour trips going to Catalina when I was young at the helm and one eye on the compass with my father being sure I was not more than a degree off course. When I could buy my own boat, even in 1962 an auto pilot was an early purchase.

Where I see the problem is "Following the magenta line" On the ICW and other places, there is a perfered course marked with a magenta line on the chart or chart plotter. On a recent E mail from a respected author, he noted that the "magenta" line was misplaced and it might cause boats to run aground. There have been collisions by boats going to the same mark, so it is advisable to offset the waypoint by a few hundred feet .

Definately a boater needs to watch out the window--instead of just following the GPS. We like to have our chart plotters just below the line of vision, so we can easly glance down and see the chart.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that stood out in you post was "paying attention out the window " This came happen with or with out gps, radar, etc... I drive truck, or did, for a living and I will tell you that I see the damest things on the roads every day, but the one thing that gets me the most is someone looking straight out the front window who does not see anything in the world but whats right in front of there car. I see people eating, reading talking, cellphoning, etc... that are doing just fine, because they are capable of what they are doing. While other are completely concentrating on driving that can barley get the job done. They are the worse hazards out there. They merge with out turning there heads because if they do they go off the dam road. Those that can should and those that cant should stay home. Dam that felt good...........................
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcraftom

Know how you feel both on getting it off your chest and people on the road and water who shouldn't be. I too have driven for a liven and now drive over 100 miles a day to and from work and then 8 hrs more while at work. At least once a week have to go to side of road to prevent head on. Agree with you 100% on the worst being eyes and head straight ahead and seeing nothing except whats ahead a couple hundred feet.

All,

Being as I've stated many times we love the autopilot it should be no surprise that on this with all due and earned respect, we disagree with El and Bill. In this like in the operation of any equipment whether aided by electronics or not it depends more on the ability and judgement of the indivedual operator than anything else. There have been times if our speed with hands on the wheel had been more than approximately 13 mph the logs or other debris would not have been missed. With the boat on auto pilot and the hands free to look ahead with binoculars and going a reasonable speed for conditions I'd much rather be on a boat on autopilot than on a boat with hands on the wheel than doesn't even get on plane untill over 20 mph. I'd would be very surprised if the overwhelming majority of accidents while on autopilot weren't caused by the same thing that causes accidents with hands on the wheel. To fast for conditions and inattention. Concerning distractions, weather boiling water, charts or anything else if on autopilot or hands on, if your attention is distracted enough to loose sight of what you should be doing the results will be the same.

The reason I like the autopilot so much could very well be the amount of time spent in my life where the hands had to be on the wheel and Jo-Lee would just as soon never drive if given the choice.

Jay

Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Electronically aided collisions Reply with quote

In Bills defense, he stated that the auto pilot was unnecessary, which must be taken at face value. A flush toilet could be considered unnecessary or maybe not. Whats necessary is what makes these things so great. I find it totally necessary to make and have all manner of accessories on our boat that may not be desirable to another.
Jay's comment about operating responsibly hits the nail on the head, and in fact if more folks would do a lot of things responsibly think what a great world it would be. In the 60's we had acid to make the world a better place, now you have to be responsible, whats the world coming to?
While trolling we use a bungee cord hooked to a halibut weight ,pulling down on the wheel for an auto pilot! This arrangement works well long enough to get the fish off and new bait back down.
I sure hope I never have a sling shot aided collision!
Mike on Huda Thunkit Sad
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think going too fast for conditions is often a factor. With a deep-V
boat, you often need to go too fast in order to stay on plane, so your
attention becomes rivited to the water immediately in front you - watching
for crabpots that are barely visible, watching the water so you don't slam
etc. Being able to slow down a bit so you can look around is much safer.
It is also a considerly nicer way to ride. Much more relaxing.

Mike
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Best thing since sliced bread Reply with quote

Autopilots are the Best thing since sliced bread!!!...when you are in thick FOG and have to keep focused on the radar and GPS and looking ahead......you will find yourself going off course ....even going in circles! With out a autopilot.......on long hauls.....beam seas .. ALOT less driver fatigue! which is dangerous........ you don't have to FIGHT helm to stay on course.
An autopilot can hold couse BETTER than you!! Trolling a must!!!!
If used properly they make your boat safer and enjoyable.

The people who have accidents with autopilots are irresponsible.... and would probably be accident prone anyway.....you don't use them in tight quarters ! Common Sense ..... even if you don't have one ...and gaze at your chartpotter too long or radio or chart while going you could hit something.

So Autopilots...like boats.... are the Best thing since sliced bread IF USED SAFELY

Dick E
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best thing since sliced bread Reply with quote

squidslayer wrote:

The people who have accidents with autopilots are irresponsible.... and would probably be accident prone anyway.....you don't use them in tight quarters ! Common Sense .....

So Autopilots...like boats.... are the Best thing since sliced bread IF USED SAFELY
Dick E

Dick E. ......I agree with you 100%!..........a similar and prime example of irresponsible individuals reminds me of the story of the fella driving down the highway with his motor home who placed it on cruise control and walked back to the motor home's kitchen to make a sandwich.... Shocked (to quote one of the current comedians..."There's your sign!")

C-Brat #16
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Electronically Aided Collisions Reply with quote

Just had to tell you about a dumb trick I pulled a few years ago. I was bringing our Monk 36 across the CBay in early March after some work on the motor mounts on the Eastern shore. It was a warm day and my wife's friend was along for the ride. Pat and her husband were going around the long way by car.

We were crossing the main channel from the C&D Canal to Baltimore. I was very alert for traffic, but nature was calling.With O traffic in sight I engaged the auto pilot and left the fly bridge to releve myself. Telling Linda to keep a watch for traffic and call me if she spotted anything. In a big hurry I did not go into the cabin to use the head but just went down to the swim platform.

Only after I returned to the bridge did I think what a dumb thing I had done. If I had fallen overboard Linda did not even know how to shut down the auto pilot. The helm would not respond with the pilot engaged. She probably could have stopped the boat by pulling back on the throttle. I would not have been able to swim in the still very cold bay water. All ended well as I am able to make this post.

My brain must have been out of gear.

Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
Glad your outcome didn't have unexpected results.

I remember reading somewhere that most male floaters found by the Coast Guard and the harbor police are found with their zippers down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: