The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Poll: Whose CD22's have battery charger, shore power or both
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a battery charger, shore power or both on your CD 22?
Installed Battery Charger
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Installed Shore Power
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Both
52%
 52%  [ 28 ]
Neither
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 53

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Poll: Whose CD22's have battery charger, shore power or both Reply with quote

For the trips I have taken in the last two years I have not had a battery charger or shore power. I have used an adapter and extension cord to power a laptop but the cord was unplugged when it was not in use.

It seems unless you only use a charger at home you also need shore power to run the charger. I am not sure it is worth all the expense and complication.

I would like out find out what the majority is doing.

Steve
Notayot

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No battery charger and no shore power. We have stayed up to 3 days at one marina without any charging power. We use the Wallas, lights, VHF radio on the 12 volt 55 amp hour Optima house battery and a notebook computer on a 200 watt inverter(powered by the same house battery. We have never needed anything more. I am, however toying with the idea of shore power and a charger, but probably not in 2007.

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

Good topic!

I have my own homegrown simple version of shorepower and a 40 amp charger that I find invaluable in maintaining batteries.

The shore power is chiefly important in heating the cabin at night during the winter, as it allows me to use an electric heater and not my propane powered Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater, which is excellent, but with the electric 120 VAC connection, it saves fuel and is both simpler and safer.

I have a 1000 watt inverter too, which allows me to use any of the 120 VAC appliances on board, such as the microwave, but it's no worries with the shore power!

I have 4 group 27 deep cycle marine batteries aboard, so whenever I don't have the AC connection, I'm perfectly self-suffiicient, except I have to go back to the propane heater, of course.

My simple "shore power" system consists of the following:

1. 12 gauge three wire (grounded) outdoor extension cord.

2. Adaptor from 15 amp household cord to 30 amp marina power outlet.

3. GFI (Ground Fault Interuptor) unit to protect against shorting to ground.

4. 6-Outlet bus bar with 15 amp circuit breaker and on/off switch.

5. Microwave, electric heater, and 120 v oscillating fan (HOT summer nights).

6. 40 amp battery charger with automatic charging on 10, 20, and 40 amp settings. Also has anti-sulfation cycles and a couple of other gizmos. This is an automotive charger, but kept up in the v-berth where there are no gas fumes and thus no issues with electrical sparks. It's hard-wired into the system.

7. 1000 watt inverter.

8. Honda Eu1000 watt generator.

9. Emergency 12 volt starter pack and light, kept under helm floorboard and always on charge when the boat's plugged in. I plug it in monthly at least.

Wouldn't be without it!

P.S.: My Sea Ray 265 Sedan Bridge has a wonderful shore power system, too.

Electricity is one of the technlogical cornerstones of our modern society and a basic element of convenience in living, just like medicine, prepared foods, water supply, and sanitation. Why give it up?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have shore power and charger. Have never used them on our extended trips to Canada and Alaska. We have never spent a night on anthing but the boat even on the road where the boat is used as our towed camper. Was on the move enough on the water and didn't use lights ect. enough so batteries kept up. Use the shore power when spending a week or so in Yellowstone. The electric heater is great in those cold morning and evenings in fact even at night. Has got down into to the teens. Also once a month in these cold Wyoming winters plug in the shore power to keep the batteries topped off.

This year we are planning on spending a lot more time going slow and at angkor on our Alaska trip so am planning on bringing a generator that can be connected into the shore power connection for battery charging when needed.

Jay

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jenny B has a simple battery charger and shore power system (Photos in the album.) Under $200 total and both have had occasional use, mostly out of the water on the trailer but if experience with bigger boats are any indicator I suspect it will be used more often than not at marinas. Very convenient both in the driveway and at a marina.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our used CD came with what the old owner called "shore power". After driving 1900 miles to see it I remember being disappointed when I could not find the A/C outlets and realized it was just an onboard battery charger that you plug shore power into. Bummer.

That was several years ago. We usually camp far from any A/C outlets. Have a rope start kicker if needed to get going. We usually burn oil lamps at night not to save juice but prefer the efficient soft light and they make a good bug zapper. Autozone and Walmart both carry some cheap LED lamps that have cig lighter plugs. Our electrical needs are minimal.

The charger is handy for plugging in to top off the batteries as we ready the boat. One of these days I will assemble a power chord with GFI and a power strip like Joe suggests. And a small genset/inverter is in future plans. As is a microwave for longer trips to make cooking easier, especially with leftovers. In cooler weather I think I would prefer a ceramic heater over the wallas. Not sure but fuel wise the generator/heater might be about as fuel efficient as a wallas. Put the ceramic heater up front where you need it. And when the wallas lets you down it won't be a trip stopper. As far as I can tell. There is only advantages, no disadvantages to this flexible, removable set-up.

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed shore power recently. It's nice to be able to charge the
batteries up properly. It's more or less a necessity if you plan on
any sort of refrigeration system (Waeco cooler, etc). I put lots of
photos in our album, if anyone is interested.

Mike
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have factory shore power, but have a system similar to Joe on Sea Wolf. Previous owner wired in romex to a couple of recepticals in the cabin, ending in a 3 prong male plug socket on the starboard side bulkhead under the galley/gunwale. We simply plug in an extension cord to the house to charge the batteries (charger installed under the sink) and to run the 110v light over the table. We also have a 110v refer where the icebox was for those times we're at marinas or camping on the trailer. When at marinas, we have a regular heavy duty yellow shore power cord with 30 amp male plug on one end and a regular 3 prong female 110v plug on the other for getting power to the boat. Works for us. We also have a 750 watt inverter in case we want to watch a DVD on our 15" flat panel TV while anchored in some nice little cove for the night.

Those ceramic heaters are great! We've slept out at marinas when it was 25 degrees and have been quite comfy. We have a propane Mr. Heater "Portable Buddy" mounted on the inside of the door for when we're on the hook or underway. Works great.

I'm going to upgrade the "shore power" this summer with better breaker protection and a couple other little items.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have factory installed shore power and charger on the boat. I also have the Norcold fridge. I leave the boat plugged in at all times when it's parked at home. I also leave some drinks, mayo and mustard in the fridge at all times. I have 3 pairs of outlets - one near the helm, one under the forward port seat (for the fridge) and one under the table on the front side of the port seat.

I leave a rechargeable flashlight and rechargeable VHF plugged in. With shore power the boat is always ready to go - batteries, back-up VHF and flashlight fully charged and fridge cold and stocked.

In the winter time or when I'm at a marina and sleeping on the boat, shore power allows me to run an electric heater to keep me or the boat warm. When I'm at Neah Bay for an extended period of time, shore power allows me to vacuum pack the fish at the end of each day. It also allows me to easily recharge my computer, my ipod, my cell phone and the cell phones of my guests. I'm glad I paid for it.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed mine... bought everything from West Marine... and I use it allot...
Everything works first class.... I can't remember what I have invested, but it really is not bad... I use the heavy 25' marine cord and a 110 adaptor for charging at home....I usually leave it connected while parked in my side yard...I also installed a reverse polarity and on/off panel plus a regular 110 outlet so we can plug in the electric heater or television or whatever while we are along side a dock. The charger in the system is one of those marine types that tapers the charge so it is not charging all the time.... a nice one... I tried to copy the factory installed system as best I could.
Even when I am traveling you would be amazed at the number of places that will allow you to plug into their electrical system... and run da heater.

Joel
SEA3PO
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great response to this poll! We have everything from neither, simple, to full up systems. So far the majority do have both an onboard charger and some type of shore power.

Thanks for pointing out pictures also.

If I had thought of it I would have included carrying a generator in the poll.

Steve
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is almost a size issue... I would have a generator if I had a 255 but on the 22' boat it is just too small for a generator.... I know folks have em, but as some point the boat gets filled up... I don't need juice that bad.

Joel
SEA3PO
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I think that is almost a size issue... I would have a generator if I had a 255 but on the 22' boat it is just too small for a generator.... I know folks have em, but as some point the boat gets filled up... I don't need juice that bad.

Joel
SEA3PO

Joel

Agree-unless you are headed into extreme remote area for extended length of time. Then it might be advisable to make room for one like we plan on this year.

Jay
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I had thought of it I would have included carrying a generator in the poll.

We should also have included a field for having "all of the above plus a hair dryer", and then Patty on Daydream could have voted!

These polls can be a real hassle sometimes to get all the options covered without skewing the results. I think your original layout is serving the purpose best.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

You better be careful with those chauvenistic hair dryer remarks! Smile

I see a couple of well taken care of young ladies in your future with their own dryers and other accessories. Wink

Do you have the generator ready yet? Teeth

How about the inverter? Teeth

Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: