The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and crew...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I think that you have been caught in the Bermuda Triangle and thus will have to repost your last few days of travels due to the server snafu.

I started your truck up today and gave the batteries a little charging since it was so cold outside just in case you needed to be hauled out to thaw out the "Wild Blue Machine". Watch out for those ICE BURGS..

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Boot Key Harbor. According to the tracking, our new battery charger should arrive today. We stopped for fuel and ice on the way in, then dropped our main anchor. The weather is supposed to turn chilly and windy again, so we got the dinghy down and set a second anchor.

I fussed with the batteries, certain that they are on their last legs. I called a dealer here in Marathon, and found out it would be two weeks before he could get replacement batteries in. That won’t work for us, so we’ll limp by with what we have. Fortunately the new charger did show up, so maybe that will help our battery situation.

Brent and Dixie invited us for supper on their boat - they made steaks, Joan made pasta. It’s hard to imagine we lose weight when we are cruising, but it must be because of the extra exercise we get.

The city is putting in new mooring balls, so the marina came right out when we anchored to let us know that we had to be out of here by Sunday. Yes, we already knew that... I also let them know that we have been kicked out of nicer places than this! It’s no problem - if we decide to stay longer than Sunday, we’ll just find a different place to anchor.

Saturday, February 17th. One of those “getting things done” kinda days. First up was laundry, this time in the laundry room in the marina. We were the first ones in there, so Joan got all three washers. Dixie came in just as our machines opened up. Easy.

Next, installing the new battery charger - the install went well, the charger works, but there is definitely a problem with the batteries. We’ll deal with that another day.

Installing the new charger...

Finally, grocery shopping. We walked the mile or so to the store, filled a shopping cart, and took a cab back to the marina. There was barely room for us in the dinghy with all the goodies. We may not have the biggest boat, but we we sure eat well!

Brent and Dixie came over to our boat for the evening; more good conversation and some trip planning.

Sunday, February 18th. The wind really ramped up. Gale force winds with rain as I write this. With our "eviction", along with everyone from the east end of the harbor, it's putting twice as many boats anchored in half as much space. In the heirarchy of things, it's better than being "out there" (Captain Ron reference), but not as good as having decent room to swing. Having a boat that doesn't draw much has let us tuck into a small space with a little shore protection, but I had to tighten up the scope. Lots of boats (including us) moved yesterday while the weather was decent... so, we've seen a few boats drag as the light came up. We took the motor off the dinghy, snugged the dinghy into the stern, and have the main motor down and ready... just in case.

The partial view of the anchorage from our window...

We provisioned yesterday, have full fuel, the generator is keeping everything topped off, freshly showered, and while it's only going to be in the low 60s, we're snug in the cabin. We're supposed to meet Casey and Sandy from NakNek onshore for lunch... looks like we may just wave at them from the boat. We certainly hope there will be another opportunity to meet up.

The forecast is for this to hang in there most of the day and night. If so, we'll be taking turns sleeping tonight. Anyone heard the Ken Gill song, "Blowing a Hooley Tonight"?

Afternoon Update: one particularly strong gust pulled the second anchor loose. 50 feet of chain on the primary with a Delta is holding fine. Joan handled the bow while I got the dinghy ready and reset the second anchor. Other than that little chore, we have been entertaining ourselves in the boat (Yahtzee, Phase 10, and gin... rummy, not the drink).

Our plan is to get out of here as soon as the weather breaks; just a few too many boats in close proximity for my comfort level. Joan asked me, "When does the 'kicked back, relaxing part' you promised start?" Shucks, I got a short nap in before the anchor reset... it's windy, but not much fetch, so there isn't a lot of wave action... if I had a couple feet more room between boats, this would be a walk in the park! Wink

Molly got a nap, too...

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Several updates since we were without the site for a while!

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Jim,
I think that you have been caught in the Bermuda Triangle and thus will have to repost your last few days of travels due to the server snafu.

I started your truck up today and gave the batteries a little charging since it was so cold outside just in case you needed to be hauled out to thaw out the "Wild Blue Machine". Watch out for those ICE BURGS..

Thanks, Mike! No problem with ice burgs, even though it may get down to 50º tonight... but dodging those dragging sailboats has been interesting! Shocked Glad to hear Big Red started up OK - that's as long as she's sat since we got her.

I did repost/rewrite/condense a few updates. Sure missed the site while it was down!

Our best to you, Judy, and the furry crew,
Jim
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, on your anchor, I hate it when that happens... Glad you were prepared and kept your head. What kind/type of anchor dragged on you? How much chain, what scope? Did you reset it differently than the first time? We can all learn from your experiences. Crowded anchorage, short scope = The Pits.

On the caloric burn rate, I read somewhere that the motion of the boat, however so small, makes your body react to counter each move. Those little tiny bits of muscle exercise adds up 24 hrs per day which accounts for the higher burn rate. Sounds plausable to me. I experienced it too on a 10 day trip and the 3 1/2 wk trip in the Bahamas. Great not to worry about dieting - but wait till you get home!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruising= fixing broken parts in exotic ports. Not sleeping every night because of anchor watches.

You might consider NAPA as a source of batteries. I have used them on the boats--there is a NAPA there in Marathon--and I suspect it will be cheaper than at the marine store. If you decide you want the "orbital" they are similar to AGM--but lead acid may well be aequate for the aft battery groups. One advantage of NAPA is that the warantee will be good at all NAPA stores...Don't know if your origional batteries are still under warantee.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Jim, on your anchor, I hate it when that happens... Glad you were prepared and kept your head. What kind/type of anchor dragged on you? How much chain, what scope? Did you reset it differently than the first time? We can all learn from your experiences. Crowded anchorage, short scope = The Pits.

Our primary anchor is a 22# Delta with 50' of chain; it's on the windlass. That one held. Our secondary anchor is an 18# danforth with 8' of chain, 150' of rode. The situation here is a pain in the butt, because the boats are so close together... you have to be careful where you drop an anchor so you aren't fouling a neighbor's. I've set the anchors at about 40-50º, both off the bow. On one particularly strong gust, the pull must have been a bit much to the side for the danforth. Normally, I like to have about a 7:1 scope, prefer a 10:1 in bigger wind. Here, it's more like 4:1 because of the crowd. I reset it in about the same place, 'cause there aren't any other options. I am tucked up towards the north shore as close as I can (wind NNW right now). A boat neighbor warned me that they guy in the house closest to us will call the Sheriff if you get too close to his place. Confused Truly, I can't imagine the Sheriff will be interested in trying to thread between all these boats right now. This kind of a crowd isn't our preference, but it'll do until we get a break in the weather.

HTH

Best wishes,
Jim B.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Cruising= fixing broken parts in exotic ports. Not sleeping every night because of anchor watches.

You might consider NAPA as a source of batteries...

Marathon... exotic? Wink The batteries the factory installed are Interstate, so I will get myself to an Interstate distributor (as opposed to a dealer - we tried that route... two weeks, and with the prorating, it wasn't to our advantage. Seems that the batteries were 3 and 9 months old when installed). When we get to some "civilization", we'll make something happen. In the meantime, we're just running the generator a bit more.

Best wishes,
Jim
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim and Joan,

Sure happy to have the C-Brat site up and running as we missed reading your posts about your adventures on Wild Blue. Molly sure looks comfortable. Windy, choppy and cold here. Not to many good C-Dory days lately. Please tell Dixie & Brent hello for us. Take care.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I have the same two anchors! My 22# Delta is also on the front windlass, I use the Danforth as my stern anchor or backup for bow. I have 30ft of chain on the Delta, about 20ft on the Danforth. Yep, you probably just had too much wind for the 4:1 scope.

Lets all hope for better weather for you guys, want to see more pictures...yes! BTW, we've spent some time with Brent and Dixie on several past cruises, great couple. Amazing though, you guys seem to be such a perfect match to be cruising together, what a great combination and time to be well and alive!
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Joan, Brent, and Dixie,

Yea ... sorry lunch yesterday didn't work out - but hope we can get together before you depart northward.

I haven't followed your battery situation, but if you're having problems finding them let me know. We can easily drive up there (sort of looking for an excuse anyway...) and we'll just go up the Keys until we find the proper batt's.

Give me a call.

Casey and Sandy
(currently in Key West)
CELL: 602-418-8267
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
... BTW, we've spent some time with Brent and Dixie on several past cruises, great couple. Amazing though, you guys seem to be such a perfect match to be cruising together, what a great combination and time to be well and alive!

I can write this and not seem too "mushy", 'cause they don't have an internet connection: Brent and Dixie are delightful. Thumbs Up There was never a plan to travel together, just the chance to meet up somewhere in the Keys (thanks to this site). We didn't know if it would go beyond lunch. Meeting them has been the highlight of this trip; they certainly have great spirit.

Daybreak is coming as I write this. The anchors held fine through the night and the wind is shifting more to the ENE (always seems to be clocking through a cycle here). I kept the anchor watch, and managed to get some sleep. The winds are supposed to be diminishing through the day, down into the lower teens by afternoon. Cold this morning (50º); I switched to the starting battery and fired up the Wallas. With this wind direction, we are riding on just the Delta... it's holding fine and I have no big desire to go out there to move the danforth. The forecast is for warming temps and lowering winds for the next week; that looks promising.

Joan will be up soon - time to get some coffee going.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am enjoying your posts, and your pictures, very much-learning a lot too. Thanks for taking the time to post.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Now, this is mo betta... Reply with quote

Joan and Molly, snug in bed, waiting for the Wallas to heat up the cabin...

A quick check of weather on the computer showed that the wind should be diminishing as the day went on; we made our plan to get the heck out of Boot Key Harbor. Joan made muffins and cut up fresh fruit. I pulled the dinghy up on top of the boat and pulled in one anchor. By the time we cleaned up, we were ready to move on. We pulled up the main anchor and threaded our way through all the boats to meet Discovery at the back of the harbor.

Our plan: head up the Keys a short distance to an anchorage that Brent had heard about that wasn’t marked on the charts. Less than an hour after leaving Boot Key, we were slowly working our way into a small, winding channel. If you didn’t know it was here, you wouldn’t see it... and it is beautiful! The water is clear and turquoise; the channel opens into a small cove. Two other boats were already anchored in there... this place is paradise compared to the overcrowded mess at Boot Key. As an added bonus, the winds were, indeed, dropping some, and this place is very protected.

We saw a small state park as we made our way in. After anchoring, we took the dinghy in to check it out. Great campground that looks brand new... and showers that we should be able to use if we want.

We came back to the boat for lunch and then decided to take the next step with Molly: her first dinghy ride to shore. She was a bit apprehensive, but with her kitty life jacket on, we made our way to shore. Joan topped off a couple water jugs while Molly entertained folks walking around. I carried the 80 pounds of water back to the dinghy and we came back to the boat. Molly was a real trooper; I know she didn't sign on for this when she adopted us. Time for all three of us to kick back and relax.

While still chilly (mid-60s) with just enough wind that you want a wind-shirt, the sun is shining and the water here is blissfully quiet. The anchor rodes are hanging limp; such an improvement over all the tugging of the past couple days.

Brent and Dixie are off exploring in their dinghy; we'll be meeting up on one of the boats for sundowners. Yeah, this is mo betta! Laughing

Glad to be able to get some pretty water photos again.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Have you got a lat/lon for this "secret cove"?

Temp has been as low as 26 degrees several nights in the Panhandle--but back to the high 60's today. Thanks for the great thread and photos!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - this sounds like one of those "I could tell you but then I would have to kill you" things! Sort of like the lat/lon for Dusty's secret spot prawn place...

thataway wrote:
Jim,
Have you got a lat/lon for this "secret cove"?

T

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 3 of 192

Jump to: