The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and crew...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 190, 191, 192  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another spectacular day (and not just because of the weather). After Brent and Dixie came into the anchorage today, we rafted up again... talked, laughed, sang, watched the sun go down, and then Dixie made us all a great spaghetti dinner. We are truly enjoying our time in the Keys, made more special by sharing it with our new friends. Fortunately, they also have a great sense of humor...

An interesting event this afternoon, occuring on the bow of the sailboat behind us... Joan said, "I think that guy is naked!" Sure enough. Cleaning his boat... I guess he didn't want to get his clothes dirty. Or perhaps he had been to that same "third world laundrymat" we experienced, and preferred to not do that again? Either way, here is the only photo I took of that situation...

Yes, it brings a whole new consideration to the idea of "neighborhood watch." Disgust

Another sailor came by in his dinghy and asked about our boats. He also told us of his cruising plans: the Caribbean, the Med, and beyond. Looking in his eyes, I have no doubts.

It truly was a memorable evening.

And, here's a shot from early this morning - a sunrise instead of a sunset; still my favorite time of day.

Just for you, Pat: it was shirtsleeve weather when I shot that image.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We headed NW out of Key West this morning, out the Northwest Channel (clever name, huh? ). The wind was supposed to clock around to the ESE. It didn't. Was supposed to be partly cloudy. It wasn't. We got pounded with beam seas that were growing the further we went. This set off our special C.A.T. alarm...

When Molly doesn't like the ride, she hops out of the v-berth and tells her Mommy. Her Mommy tells the skipper to "do something about this." I turned us around, came back to Key West, and poked into a quiet place along Fleming Key Cut. Not much traffic on this rainy ol' day. Stopped for fuel and ice in Key West Bight. If we get cabin fever, I'll take down the dinghy and we can go ashore. For now, it's quiet and reasonably calm. And a light rain.

There are worse places to wait for the wind to clock around.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rained most of the night, with forecast for more of the same for today. We saw some lightning, heard some rumbles, but things remained calm where we are anchored. The current winds are ENE @ 13; we are in the lee of Fleming Key. The plan is to head out into the "back country" of the lower Keys, but we'll see what Mother Nature has in store for today.

We had a pleasant evening, snug and dry in Wild Blue's cabin. Visits from two sailboats while at anchor: one was the 22' Catalina that was anchored next to us in Boot Key Harbor last week. The other was some folks on a Gemini 105c who were just admiring the boat... trying to decide between a 22 and a 25 C-Dory. Can't really go wrong with that decision.

We spent the evening playing cards, reading, listening to music, and getting caught up on my log. Though rainy and gray, it's still warm. The camperback sure is nice in these conditions, as well. Turned in early, got some decent sleep between anchor checks.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sailing song, "I'm Having Major Doubts About Waterspouts" that came to mind this morning. Shocked Not long after making the previous post, Weather Radio alert came on with a warning for a waterspout to come ashore in the middle Keys; and a line of thunderstorms just east of our position, moving north. The warning area is from the Dry Tortugas to Key Largo. Heading out right now would move us right into that mess - we are staying put until it looks real good. The crew of Discovery concurs with that decision.

While this certainly doesn't merit "Grand Adventure", it's all about keeping it fun and safe. Never had an up-close-and-personal moment with a waterspout, and have no desire to test the structural integrity on Wild Blue in the process. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Mr. NOAA saw the guy washing his boat too...with or without bino's. I sure do miss my swim platform and hot/cold shower on the aft end of FreeByrd. ....and I was not even in the maragitaville area...but in the back waters of Bama. Great post. I needed a boost this morning. Thanks guys for your travels... and I like the no socks/shoes look better than the long black socks and sandles look too... Mr. Green Beer
Thanks for the sunshine of this cloudy day.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHE'S WUZ JUS A' WHISTLIN' DIXIE! Note Note Note

I wish I wuz a- seein' dis guy's bottom,
Ya know he's not got nuthin' on 'em,
Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.
In Dixie Land whar I be a spyin',
Sometimes ya' get a full eyein'
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.

Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note Note

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaWolf, now that's funny, I don't care who ya are! To truly appreciate the humor in this, you'd have to see the look on Dixie's face each time I tell her I've posted something. Mr. Green

What a great spirit and easy-going sense of humor she has! I can't wait to show her your song.

Best wishes,
Jim B
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just show her....Jim..put it to music tonite...you do know the tune don't you...now your south of the Mason Dixon Line.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rained most of the day yesterday, with thunderstorms in the area. We sat tight at anchor, keeping ourselves entertained on the boat. By mid-afternoon, Discovery pulled anchor and went for fuel, then we rafted up until well after dark. The conversation was lively, and Dixie got the opportunity to see "her song". A very pleasant evening with the four of us under the camperback on Wild Blue.

We turned in early and got a good night's sleep; awoke this morning to the rumble of thunder in the distance and light rain. A check of the weather shows 30% chance of precip, high of 78º, chance of thunderstorms. Looks like another "wait and see".

A new onboard charger has been shipped from Guest, and should be waiting for us by the end of the week.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Mallory Square, from the water side, in the rain...

Following Mickey's ship in (yeah in the rain)...

handy

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1990
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying your travelogue, thanks for doing it. Great pictures. Started paying attention to the national tv weather in that part of the country to see what it is in the mornings. Are you posting using the marinas wireless or something else?

Dave in Oregon
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handy wrote:
Are you posting using the marinas wireless or something else?

Dave in Oregon

Hi Dave,

We are using a Verizon wireless broadband card. Essentially, if you can get any kind of cell coverage, you can get a wireless data connection... sometimes broadband, sometimes just National Access, but still better than dial up. There have been very few places in our travels that we haven't gotten some kind of a signal.

And, today's travels...

Tuesday, February 13th. It was still raining when I woke up, but the weather started to break by 9:00. We decided to head out, but keep an eye on the sky. Once away from Key West, it turned absolutely beautiful - the sky and the water almost blended together in a gorgeous blue.

The Discovery crew stopped to fish, while we went ahead to check another anchorage. They didn’t catch anything, and we came up empty on finding a good place to anchor. On the bright side, the water was flat and the clouds didn’t build. Brent and Dixie wanted to fish some more, so we decided to part company for a couple days. They were going to stay in the back country and we decided to head back to Bahia Honda... for a slip, long hot showers, and a sandy beach.

Joan made us lunch enroute, and I plugged our destination into the chartplotter. Along the way, we dodged a gazillion more crab pot floats. We turned into the Big Spanish Channel and the waves picked up a bit; nothing big, just not the absolute flat we had for the morning. By the time we got within a mile of Bahia Honda, the wind and current were opposed and it got downright sloppy.

In minutes we were pulling into the marina. We tied off, hooked up, fed Molly, and took her for a walk on the beach... reminded me of Christmas, since Molly was now... Sandy Claws.

We took a short dip in the water, then walked up to the concession building for ice cream. With the temp hitting 80º, it was refreshing.
After watching the sun set behind the old Flagler railway bridge, we were off to the showers... long, hot, luxurious showers. Nice. Joan made us supper and we settled in for the night.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim – that is a great shot of Discovery.

________
Dave
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me... I have sinned. No, not really. While walking by an f-24 this morning, I visited with the folks aboard (I used to be a moderator on the f-boat list). They invited us for a sail.

It was good. Really good. Feeling that tri pulling, dancing over the waves. Standing at the helm, high tech sails. Whew! Of course, out there in the sun, I even managed to sunburn my ankles. Crook

Later, while having lunch, Brent and Dixie came in (didn't expect to see them for another day or so). We caught lines for them and visited like we hadn't seen each other in weeks (it's been a whole day). Ice cream for Valentine's Day. Plenty of conversation, then "Captain Ron" (they had never seen that... one of the few DVDs I actually own) on their "BIG screen" (way big compared to our little 7"), complete with popcorn.

Beautiful, warm day. Molly got to do several walks. We visited with a couple who have a C-Dory 22 on order. Darn nice day around the marina.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Another "Captain Ron" fan! I love that movie-I think I have seen it three times and it's just as funny as the first time. Great trip reports-Thanks. I hope you make it up around Key Largo. In 2001 my wife and I visited the keys and did a lot of snorkeling in John Pennekamp State Park. Nice facilities and beautiful coral.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at a pump-out station today, we got to see a manatee up close and personal. He (she?) came right up behind our boat... for a moment, I feared that the critter would impale itself on my stopped propellor and I would go to jail! Disgust

We've seen them before, but not reach-out-and-touch close. It makes me wonder just how much rum those sailors of old drank... I can't imagine anyone thinking one of these critters might be a mermaid!

Out and about, the water was a beautiful turquoise; light breeze, blue sky, upper 70s. We had supper with the Discovery crew - Brent grilled steaks, Joan made pasta, Dixie made a fruit salad... um, I ate. I tightened my belt in a notch this week... must be the exercise, 'cause we sure seem to be eating well. Watch for my new diet plan that will be all the rage: "Cruise and Get Thin". Wink

Cooler weather is predicted for the next few days - highs in the 60, night time lows in the 50s. I may have to dig out my one pair of long pants.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 2 of 192

Jump to: