The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rocky Mountain 22's? or Western Plains?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brudenship

City/Region: Rocky Mountains
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountain 22's? or Western Plains? Reply with quote

After a couple years of researching boats and thinking how and when I'd use it, I've landed on the C-Dory 22, which I dismissed a year or two ago but it checks almost all my boxes.

Is there anyone in the Colorado or neighboring states that has one and would let me come aboard to check out the interior? Just a few minutes is all I would really need and try not to inconvenience anyone or ask for a ride. I just want to see how big or little the interior is in person.

Thank you.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of current and previous owners have been where you are right now. If you aren't in the Pacific Northwest, it can be tough to get the opportunity to see one in person.

We happened across a 22 Cruiser in 2005 sitting on a boat lift near Rockport, TX. The lift wasn't in front of a house, so I went (against my wife's wishes) knocking on doors to find out who owned the boat. It turned out to be a lady whose husband had passed, and the boat hadn't been looked at in almost a year. She said, "I don't know if I want to sell it."

I told her, "I am considering ordering a new one, but I've never been on one of these boats or even seen one in person before."

She got me the key and said, "You seem like a nice young (?) man. After you've looked at it, bring me back the key and let me know if it needs any attention."

"Needs any attention" doesn't begin to describe the interior - it had obviously been put away wet and that is a certain promoter of mold in south Texas... the boat was FULL of mold. My wife pleaded with me to not even go in the boat; I told her I would hold my breath and just step inside to see if there was really standing height in there, and look at the size of the v-berth.

Standing height: yes; v-berth: looked long and wide enough to sleep a couple our size. I reported back to the lady about the condition of the interior, and told her I thought the cushions could be removed and the fiberglass could be powerwashed. She was grateful, I was grateful... this convinced me that we could be very comfortable in a C-Dory.

We went to the Seattle Boat Show in January 2006 to buy a 22 Cruiser from the factory... and then we saw the 25. More width, more height, more storage, a bigger cockpit, a fridge, a 30 amp electrical system, hot & cold pressure water, and an enclosed head with a shower. I would have been happy with the 22, but life was even better with the 25. We spent up to 6 months at a time living onboard and cruised the US and Canada; all three coasts; a winter in the Florida Keys, a summer on the Erie Canal; San Francisco Bay to New York City; lakes in National Parks; multiple summers in the Pacific Northwest. From hot and humid (with a window air conditioner) to below freezing (and running the Wallas to stay comfortable).

These are amazing boats, capable and compact. Our boating years are behind us (by choice, not forced by health or finances), but I still check in on this forum because of all the great C-Dory owners we met along the way. I have no doubt you will find someone to show you a boat... and if not, you may want to see where the next C-Dory Get Together is and plan a road trip - it will be worth your while.

Good luck with your search.

Check out more photos by clicking on the link in blue on my profile.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is in Centerville Utah your welcome to look at it if you like. I think there some 22s in Colorado that might be closer.

Brudenship

City/Region: Rocky Mountains
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo is making me want one sooooo bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: