The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What Should I Know Before Buying a Boat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanc

City/Region: norwalk
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people ask me " Alan, what kind of boat should I get?" I tell 'em all the same..Unless this boat is going to be your PRIMARY and Number ONE source of recreation and entertainment, do the following...

Go to your favorite liquor store. Buy the VERY BEST bottle of Irish Whiskey (or Scotch) and give it to a freind that already has a boat. You are sure to get your one or two weekends on the water...

Think about our New England season...about 15 weekends. Figure in rain-outs, family obligations, waiting for a part, Illness or other emergencies, and a fair weather boater is down to about three weeknds....Buy the whiskey...

BTW...we like Middleton Rare!

For the record..I wouldnt trade boating for anything. The only price I can put on it is the depth of my pocket.
retnavy

City/Region: Hampton Roads Virginia
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a bit on a post on here that said something along the lines of "get the smallest boat you can be comfortable on". if you can not afford to take the boat out due to operating costs it wil sit at the pier or in the driveway.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I ever read was from the Small Boat Journal. Don't by a boat for others -- buy it for yourself. When the rest of your family and friends grow tired of boating or move on with their lives, you'll be able to handle your boat single-handed. The other thing is that bigger is not necessarily better, which is why the C-Dory's, and now the Marinaut, are so loved.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely spam - also spammed the window tinting thread. Spammers seem to be getting more sophisticated, different names but with the same (or similar links). I'd be very afraid of downloading software from any of those links. The sites look like "legitimate" open-source shareware sites but:
1) the mechanism for getting you there - e.g. by spamming sites like this is a reason for alarm AND
2) Most sites which produce "open source" software have a place for one to download the source. The site linked from this spammer does not.

My suspicion is that the software provided on that site, does what it says it does but also is a trojan horse for some other (nefarious) purpose. We may need a more sophisticated way to screen spammers in the future. Perhaps we could require that the first post of any new site member be an introduction post that is somehow vetted by the group.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Mokai site I joined recently me & I believe all others are vetted by the site administrator on the first post. There was a several hour delay before they allowed my post to show. Wasn't all that pleased at the time, but sure seeing the reason for it now.
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Definitely spam - also spammed the window tinting thread. Spammers seem to be getting more sophisticated, different names but with the same (or similar links). I'd be very afraid of downloading software from any of those links. The sites look like "legitimate" open-source shareware sites but:
1) the mechanism for getting you there - e.g. by spamming sites like this is a reason for alarm AND
2) Most sites which produce "open source" software have a place for one to download the source. The site linked from this spammer does not.

My suspicion is that the software provided on that site, does what it says it does but also is a trojan horse for some other (nefarious) purpose. We may need a more sophisticated way to screen spammers in the future. Perhaps we could require that the first post of any new site member be an introduction post that is somehow vetted by the group.

I couldn't agree more. New members should be vetted before being able to post. As a long time web browser my virus software has picked up a locker full of viruses.

I like rogerbum's idea of one introducing himself on the first post. Thumbs Up

H Wink

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Recently, a sailing buddy on another forum was talking about getting another boat; perhaps a small powerboat. I think a C-Dory would be perfect, considering his needs - he says it's over his budget. Whenever he mentions another boat (and he frequently mentions "the next boat"), I send him info on C-Dorys. Wink He said something about me being the type of guy who would sit in the back of an AA meeting with a cold brewski. In the next post, he was quick to point out that he didn't mean that I have a "problem". Here's my response...

--------------------

"Jim has no problem..."??? Haven't talked to the Blonde lately, huh?

Hey, I'll be the first to admit it... I do have a problem. When something takes over your life and it's all you think about, it can be a problem. Some would call it an addiction, but I think that word gets tossed around too easily. My "problem" led to me becoming unemployed and selling off assets. Aimlessly wandering about. Family worried about us.

And Joan is an "enabler"; in fact she actively participates with me. Oh sure, she's not as hooked as I am, but she doesn't try to stop me. She can control herself more than I can, but I certainly haven't dragged her into this.

Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm an aquaholic.

I love being on the water... or near the water. It started out with some experimenting... going to warm places when it was cold up north... places with beaches and water that wasn't frozen solid. And then I saw all those boats. Those people looked like they were having fun; what harm could it be to give it a try?

At first, it was easy enough to just do it for a day or two. It's insideous, though; before long, a little isn't enough. I thought I could stop anytime I wanted. I was wrong. I justified it by saying it was just a little sailing... it was "green" - less impact on the environment, being out there in all that nature stuff. Hey, I wasn't hurting anyone. And then you find you want more. Work becomes a place where you have to go when you'd rather be... out there. One boat isn't enough. Deep down inside, I wondered where it would all end? And then I toyed with the idea of chucking it all and just giving in to my "problem." Oh sure, I had friends who sailed. They enjoyed it, and seemed to be able to control it. I didn't tell them about my "dark" thoughts.

And then a guy said, "I know what you need."

At first, you just "look into it." An occasional glance on the internet. You say to yourself, "But, I'm a sailor"... and there's the shame and the worry that you'll lose your friends... "what will they think?" As you find yourself being drug into the culture, you stop worring about what others think.

So, there you have it. I'm "all in." I go both ways - sail and power. The sailboat for when the living is easy, the powercruiser for making some miles. That "us vs them" thing? Who gives a rat's rear? "Light side - dark side"? I've found it to be no problem sliding in and out of both. As long as I can be on the water.

Yeah, I'm posting this from...on the water.

You can tell yourself, "It wouldn't happen to me. I know when to say when." But, you all have your little "secret": that internal combustion thing hanging off the back of the boat (or secretly tucked inside). Sure, you can motor "just when you want." Tell yourself: I can quit anytime, if I really want to.

Our families think we're a lost cause. Maybe they're right? All I can say is... we're OK; this works for us. We gave up our comfortable life in the northland to be on the water. Regrets? Yeah, during all those earning years, I wish I wouldn't have wasted all that money on buying stuff that doesn't fit in a boat - I coulda done this sooner.

--------------------
And that's another thing to consider before you buy a boat.

Reviving an old thread for two reasons, it's been 8 years ago and Nancy and I are going to Marc's next week and perhaps finally buy a C-Dory.

I can say this for Jim, he is insistent and consistent when it comes to convincing others about the advantage of C-Dory's..

Now, as you well know, he is currently "Boatless Jim", a title I bestow on him with good humor and he still shows up on that sailing forum from time to time to share his PNW experiences!

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, Bud: that post was about our mutual friend Tom... who currently has, what? Oh, yeah, a C-Dory. He surprised me when he bought the 16 (he and I were talking about a 25)... didn't surprise me when he moved up to a 22. Maybe you should talk to him - not sure how much he uses that boat these days.

We left the San Juans on Thursday. We're now in Couer d' Alene, ID - enjoyed a drive along the lake. Heading north to Lake Pend Oreille tomorrow. Just to see some water. Wink My perspective on recreational boating may have changed, but certainly not my love of the water.

If you manage to hold out without buying a boat (I've seen how you are with boats and motorcycles) until the Florida gathering, know that Marc at Wefings is one of the good guys. I haven't been trying to "sell" you on a C-Dory - I just happen to think the right boat for the mission is key... and it would be a shame to see you buy 6 more boats that are kinda right when everything you say points to a C-Dory! Cool

Good luck with the process. Oh, and when I saw Tim and Mary (and Wild Blue) in Friday Harbor last month, I couldn't help but think: ohhhh, Bud would really like a boat like this! Twisted Evil

Best wishes,
Jim
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

We will be at Marc's on Wednesday and taking a boat out on the water for a look-see. Very Happy

I've been in contact with Tom. He now says that he may keep his C-Dory.

It was very interesting talking to all the folks at the Gathering.

Those on the 22's were convinced it was all the boat you would need.

Those on the 25's were convinced they needed a 25.

I'm pretty convinced that if we don't buy a C-Dory, we won't buy any power boat.

Hope the weather cools off and you have a pleasant time wandering back home.

_/)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Bud, my bud - you discovered people who bought the right boat for their needs! Very Happy I went to the Seattle Boat Show in 2006 with the plan to buy a 22. Joan looked at both and said, "We will be happier in the 25."

Of course, she was right. That said, we have a lot of friends with 22s that know they have the right boat for their needs. There is no "right or wrong" in the decision between these two great boats, only the best for your use... truly, you will make either work and likely be happy as a clam.

Both capable boats. Both will get you on the water with the protection of that wonderful enclosed helm and great views from anywhere in the cabin. Both are towable (with the right tow vehicle), easy to launch and retrieve. Both will be a good value.

For us, it came down to elbow room and amenities. Staying out for months at a time, do not underestimate the necessity of both of those. It was our "home on the water" during that time... and home meant a shower, an enclosed head, a fridge, cooking options (microwave, Wallas, butane cooktop, grille), a "sun room" (cockpit with a full camperback), a comfortable bed, and room to pass by each other in the aisle.

We spent the better part of a year looking for "the right" motorhome for our current land cruising. Just like your decisions, it came down to size and function (OK, and storage). You have a pretty easy decision (and both are good options) - we looked at dozens and dozens of motorhome options before finding this right choice. Don't talk yourself out of enjoying even more time on the water with a boat that will make you wonder: "Why didn't we do this sooner?"

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy sailing and my sailing buddies. But this IS a whole different experience that opens up even more options on the water. It will take more than a test ride or twelve to appreciate all either of these boats will do.

You are my bud, Bud - my only stake in this to see your smiling face when you make that buying decision. Oh, and hearing you publicly say, "Jim was right." Mr. Green

Have fun with the process,
Jim
NancyandBud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save time: "Jim is right"!

Laughing

I've always appreciated his informed words of counsel. One of my greatest boating pleasures has been the people that I've met because of boating. Without exception, they have been some of the most kind, welcoming and interesting people I've had the pleasure to meet.

Some I only know online, some I've met. The boating world is very small. As an example, I was talking to Bob (thisaway/thataway) Friday morning on the Mississippi River and we had an interesting conversation about Gene K and his boat Teachers Pet. It turns out that a very good friend of Bob's designed the boat and both Bob and I know Gene. Nancy and I visited with Gene and Mary in Bradenton, FL a few years back and Gene gave us a tour of Teachers Pet which was on a mooring a short distance from where he lived.

Another example is trailering a boat to Lake Havasu, AZ a few winters back in meeting, face to face, both Jim B and Tim. The past and current owners of Wild Blue.

How blessed I feel having had the opportunities to be a part of this very small community.

_/)

Fair winds to us all.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to meet Bud and Nancy, and take them for a ride in the 22. On the next day, I rode with Mark and Carol on their 25 all of the way to Hannibal and back. Great time to compare the boats--and for me to experience my first Mississippi Lock--(far different than the Panama Canal).

Not only did I know the designer of "Teacher's Pet" (a 32 foot centerboard sail boat, which had sailed in the Transpac, and circumnavigated in 18 months), but the first owner and builder is my best friend, and also one of the group from S. Calif who all moved to Pensacola--I have known 3 out of 4 of the boat's owners. So the sailing World is a really small place.

We would have a 25, except it is more boat to trailer and maintain. For us that made the difference...On the other hand, we are more than content (as are many others) for a month at a time on the 22--including times when we only pick up water and fuel every 10 days or so--other wise still being self sufficient.

No one better boat--just what suits one best at a specific stage of life....

All are good!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
stantheman

City/Region: Cluj
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread, I've just bookmarked it! I hope it's going to be useful for when I get enough money to get a Dory myself. Smile
JeffK

City/Region: RAMROD KEY
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: How hot is a C-Dory Reply with quote

Hi C-BRATS. I recently saw my first C-dory and like the looks of it and I've been boating most of my 73 years. I think the reason I haven't seen one before is because I live in the Florida Keys, about 27 miles from Key West, or 90 miles north of Havana. I've read the C-dory is very popular in Alaska. Logic tells me what is popular in Alaska isn't suited in the Keys. But why let logic stand in the way of a beautiful boat. What I really want to ask is how strong is the air flow on a 25 C-dory with the front window and cabin door open? Also, does the cabin heat up laying at anchor on a warm day? I'm hoping to hear with everything opened up, side windows too, that a C-dory would be a great boat to cruise the Bahamas and Cuba. Of course, I can always put a marine air conditioner on the cabin roof. The one I saw had that.

Second question: I see that some newer models have a sharper V hull. I figure I'd need that here where 2-3 footers is normal and 3-5 very common.

Thank you all in advance for any advise you can offer.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. There are a number of C Dory's in the state of Florida. We have not taken our C Dorys to the keys But most winters we stayed there, there were at least 5 C Dorys, that I know of, which were cruising the keys during Jan thru March...

As to your question; I find that on most days, when under way, it is comfortable in the cabin of a C Dory 22, 25 or Tom Cat 255. If there is a breeze, it is comfortable. But it can get hot, if there is no breeze or air movement. We also have a center console catamaran, and the temperature at anchor is about the same as the center console cat, with a Bimini top.

The air conditioning units you see are RV air conditioners. They work fine on the c dory Cabin top--I feel that the top should be re-inforced (see my album how I did that on the Tom Cat 255). The advantage, is that you don't have an issue with jelly fish, or other material, such as grass or sea weeds which might plug the raw water intake of a standard marine air conditioning unit. Also the RV type can be run on a boat lift or when on a trailer. There is one which will run from a Honda EU 2000. Also some of us, put a cheap Walmart, 5,000 BTU unit either in the front opening window, or the door. These will run off a Honda EU 1000.

As far as Cuba and the Bahamas...C Dory 22's and 25's have gone to the Bahamas. I am not aware of any going to Cuba. The water tank is fairly small--we get about 10 days for the two of us--with stringent conservation of water. The range is also somewhat limited--but 200 miles total is "doable". If you want to run at displacement speeds, then you will get better mileage.

As you know, the passage from Florida (any point) to the Bahamas can be very rough--and it can be considerable days between times for a safe passage during certain times of the year (Norther against Gulf Stream). The boats are a "Semi Dory", which means low deadrise--and thus you have to handle them a bit differently than a deep V. The boats plane at a low speed, but will pound if going into chop. You have to push the bow down (best way, is with both trim tabs and an outboard foil (Permatrim) but still you will have to watch your weather.

I find the C Dorys to be great boats for Florida--and especially staying out of the sun. If you want to sleep on the boat when it is hot--you have the option of fans, (thru the front hatch), or an air conditioner.

The boat can be a solar collector, if there is no breeze--as any boat can be, with an enclosed cabin, and windows.

I would suggest that you try and get a ride on one. There is the upcoming St. John's River gathering--and Three Rivers (Crystal River area) is said to be brining several boats--and I suspect that most of the C Dory models will be at the gathering--it is not close to the keys, but a great gathering--a camp ground, and cabins are available at Hontoon Island State Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: