The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What Should I Know Before Buying a Boat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty,

Way to go!!!
When I get past my period of incarceration to the work thingy I will go back to my personal choice of communication media. Yellng for the barman!

Lovely day today in the Great PNW. Got the old cancer filter working in the sky, no wind, no waves and I am stuck at my desk.
It must be Winter 'cos James is posting sunny tales from TX and there are commercial crab pots everywhere I go.

Merv
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-
I danced for fishermen, for James & John
They came with me & the Dance went on:
Dance, Dance, wherever you may be......

Merv--glad to hear you're enjoying the here and now. Retirement is great, but garbage day comes around real fast. Best regards.

"...we're all in the same boat..."

Last edited by dotnmarty on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With his story telling ability, I think the second career Jim missed was TRIAL LAWYER!!!!

Jazzmanic wrote:
Jim, you speak the truth! You da man! I love the way you can tell a story. Are you sure you're not missing your calling in a second career as a writer? Thumbs Up

Peter

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James.
Takes two to Tengo.! Shocked (British joke)
Keep the "stuff' coming we are all talking ourselves into hibernation up here.
Already done the 200 Hr "cough/sneeze/ bend over" on Kingfisher at EQ. (where else is there?)
Just hoping we can make the Snohomish cruise if I can get back from a trip to the Big Easy in time.

Merv
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18. will i have the required annual maintenance fund, plus 10% more for the unexpected problems which will occur?

19. do i have the proper and/or volume of medication to sedate my urge for a larger boat?
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20. If I plan on trailering it, will I have to re-truck?

A friend of mine was talking of re-boating to something he could fish with. We talked about the pros and cons of various styles and sizes for thirty minutes. Then I asked, "What are you going to pull it with?" He answered "A Subaru ____________". Well that simplified our discussion. I referred him to a 12 -- 14 ft. open aluminum skiff with a 7 - 15 horse motor. C.W.

ryder

City/Region: duncan
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Break out another thousand. You're going to shell out several thousand bucks year for your new toy and the bad weather will wipe out 3/4 of the time you expected to use it.

A friend of mine's father in law had a life long infatutation with motor homes. He thought they were the greatest thing ever. He talked about someday buying one and travelling across Noth America. He just recently died and he never did buy that motorhome.

sometimes a thousand here and there is nothing....

regards

Jim

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW wrote:
20. If I plan on trailering it, will I have to re-truck?

A friend of mine was talking of re-boating to something he could fish with. We talked about the pros and cons of various styles and sizes for thirty minutes. Then I asked, "What are you going to pull it with?" He answered "A Subaru ____________". Well that simplified our discussion. I referred him to a 12 -- 14 ft. open aluminum skiff with a 7 - 15 horse motor. C.W.

Wait a minute. Pat and Patty A pull their 16 footer Crabby Lou with a Subaru.

TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a C-dory--legal stuff Reply with quote

tejohnsrude wrote:
I am in the market for a late model C-dory 22. What do I need to get from seller so that matters of liens, clear titles and other such sticky potential problems can be avoided? I have recently had problems with a bank which did not send info to the USCG as to release of liens - as required by law - even though the boat was completely paid off almost 14 years ago. No clear title yet. My attorney is getting busy. A real headache that I do not wish to repeat. So--anything I need to do to prevent a repeat of this problem later on? Help!!
Ted J

I had the same problem, but in my case it was a 15 year old paid off loan that was still showing up on the USCG documentation. After trying to sort it out for a couple of days, I just hired a documentation service. Paid them a little money, and quickly had the problem solved.

You can avoid such problems by researching the USCG documentation records before buying, or state title records if not a documented boat. I was buying from a friend, and didn't bother. When the CG said there was a lein, I contacted our friend, who said, "I paid that off 15 years ago!" If I had it to do over again, I would have hired the doc service at that moment.

squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: New Boat Reply with quote

Why I picked the C-Dory Tomcat 255 over other Catamarans and other C-Dorys

All boats have their good and bad points
It's really hard to find the "Perfect Boat"
A perfect Catamaran is even harder I found out after much research
There are basically 3 kinds of Cat hull designs..
Displacement hull
Semi displacement hull
planning hull

At first I was all set on the Aggressive Displacement Hull like a Glacier Bay...no cat can beat these kind of boats for cutting though chop at high speeds but.. it was prone to tipping over…had a bad cabin lay out.

After much soul searching and laying out the most important features I wanted I added things up.. and got a planning cat …the C-Dory Tomcat 255

Here was my must have features” when I looked at all the boats

1) Must be a Catamaran.. for comfort…. attacking wind waves & anti seasickness…wave crusher… minimal slamming and back friendly..in sloppy seas.
2) Twin Engines…case one goes bad…long range.. up to 300miles
3) Pilot house design…. Roomy….. comfortable totally enclosed.. lock door behind you.. Bathroom for the ladies. .Mini RV inside.
4) Good Fuel mileage MPG
5) Fast.. up to 40mph
6) Stable platform when running or drifting in bad seas.. sea worthy. Minimal “Rocking”
7) Good handling in beam seas
Cool Good handling in following seas
9) Reasonable price (as cats go…TWO HULLS!!!!)
10) Local dealership for sales and service (C-Dory) i.e. Outboard Motor Shop ..Oakland)
11) Live well.. Insulated fish boxes
12) Trailerable
I really wanted a displacement Cat …like a Glacier Bay because these type of aggressive hull cats blast thru waves like no other but
I decided against the Glacier Bay because when I test rode one and did A LOT of research it was weak or was compromised in items #3 thru #8

When I rode in a Glacier Bay 2680 I really loved the boat …well made wave puncher
But I did not like the following:

1) the cabin layout.. no pilothouse …toilet next to queen bed??mama said NO! No door to lock out weather
2) Speed was ok but not great
3) When drifting in seas the boat had an uncomfortable yo yo bobbing motion because of its sharp hull design
4) In big following seas I had read from numerous sources that the boat was hard to handle
5) had read from numerous sources that the boat was hard to handle in beam seas

6) did not plane so fuel MPG was lower

7) Higher profile hull made it rock more…had read online about one overloaded Glacier Bay rolling over in Beam Seas!

So… to each his own
I think that Glacier Bay Boat is a great boat
No boat has everything you want it to do however

So I compromised some wave slicing ability for….. comfort ,layout ,speed, MPG, and overall handling. So what?
I can run full tilt into 3 ft WWaves
A displacement cat can run full tilt into 4ft Wwaves

Tight Lines
Dick E
Orinda,Ca
Bryant

City/Region: Fleming Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Sakura Kaiju
Photos: Conch Queen 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: buying a boat Reply with quote

Here's my take. If you are married then you obviously want to enjoy the boat with your wife. For her to enjoy a boat it needs to be safe, dry and comfortable. You need an enclosed cabin, a place for her to change clothes and relax and you need a head of some sort. Trust me, your time on the boat will be directly related to how much your wife enjoys being on it. I like trailorable boats because that just allows you to go places that you couldn't enjoy because of time. I live in Washington. I can take my boat to Key West if I want to in about a week or I can go to Lake Powell or San Diego or wherever.
In every respect, C Dorys fit this bill and I would recommend the 22 or 25 and you won't be sorry. Happy boating!

jklfairwin

City/Region: fort collins
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important is #1 on the first post. How are you really going to use the boat? There are a lot of ocean capable cruisers that have never left the bay, or even the dock. Be really honest with yourself. How much time do you really have? Do you really intend to live aboard? Do you really want to cruise, or do you want to fish? Do you really need hot and cold showers? Do you really want to charge along at 30 knots or do you want to see the scenery at 5 knots? Do you really want great comfort or do you want to be able to cruise the Pacific northwest one month and the Gulf of Mexico the next? Dreams are great in their place, but we live in reality - which ain't half bad.
cbull

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: knot yankee
Photos: Knot Yankee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: funny questions Reply with quote

I have been asked some crazy questions. look at my boat for sale below. All good questions but I found some of them funny.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAFT....... Can you get back in the little creeks and coves or do you have to hang out there where it is 4-5 feet deep as to not bounce off the bottom when that big ol 30-40+ footer comes roaring in to see that neat little boat...... Kinda interesting watching them find that little sand bar with between 12-18" of water going over it..between your anchorage and their channel.... and no long legged birds standing there to give the secret away... Mr. Green Beer Cigar

Ya gotta like a shallow draft...unless it is in your mug. Beer

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
janenelson

City/Region: port hadlock
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Nora Lee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: What do you need to know? Reply with quote

How to get to our house... so you can see our 2007 Tomcat 255 with full Bimini and cockpit enclosure - blinds etc and trailer!
We have just reluctantly put her up for sale - you can see her in the boats for sale forum - She lives in port Hadlock in WA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: