The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bizzare Outboard Electrical Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete – I have the same Blue Sea ACR as you but my switch is either off or on. With the switch off the ACR does the combining for charging purposes and when I want to manually combine the batteries I turn the switch to on.

I have noticed that sometimes the charging voltage gets in the 17 volt range and the ACR indicates an overvoltage when the engine is first started. When this happens, I turn my switch to the on position so the batteries are combined. The charging voltage drops back into the 13 to 14 volt range and after a couple of minutes I turn the switch back off and everything seems normal.

________
Dave
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline: So what did Blue Sea tell you? I looked at the wiring diagrams for both components off the Bliue Sea web site. Looking at your photo it's tough to draw any conclusions as the battery switch is connection-side down and other connections to the batteries are omitted (like the jumper from Terminal 1 to Terminal B for sensing voltage in your house battery bank and the line from Terminal 3 to your negative bus - the ACR has to be grounded).

As far as combining the batteries for emergency starting, check with Blue Sea but this can (must?) be done with a switch to Terminal 2 of the ACR (and not via the battery switch). See the section "To connect a manual override switch" on page 2 of the ACR instructions.

A note to another posters. I don't think an ACR ever combines batteries in parallel for electric supply - this has to be done manually if at all. The ACR charges only one battery at a time, depending on their charge state. The only exception is when a switch is thrown on the ACR itself (if so equipped) for manual combining - see above.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
A note to another posters. I don't think an ACR ever combines batteries in parallel for electric supply - this has to be done manually if at all. The ACR charges only one battery at a time, depending on their charge state. The only exception is when a switch is thrown on the ACR itself (if so equipped) for manual combining - see above.

Copied from BlueSea web site

Automatic Operation
Automatically combines when the higher battery has remained at the required voltage for at least 30 seconds. The CL-Series BatteryLinkTM ACR disconnects when the voltage drops below the charging voltage to prevent accidental discharge of an unintended bank.

Manual Operation
When connected to an optional ON-OFF-ON switch the CL-Series BatteryLinkTM ACR can be turned off, set to automatic, or manually combined.

Here are the instructions for their ACR.
________
Dave
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACR combines batteries in parallel at 13.7 volts (default) and disconnects at 12.7 volts.
That is all it is--it does not select which battery to charge, it just combines the batteries --this called a "combiner". The features of the ACR is that the combine and cut out voltage are adjustable (within a narrow limit) and it uses low current for the relay to combine.

Normally when you don't have a charger going, the batteries will be isolated, unless you put on the optional switch, which will allow the batteries to combine. The relay is rated at 60 amps (basically the contacts may be damaged if you exceed this) so you don't want to combine this way to start an engine--use a switch to combine for starting if the start battery is low.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what Blue Sea has to say:

Quote:
Scott:

Many thanks for the prompt and informative reply!

At 9:36 AM -0800 on 2/12/07, you wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry. The CL-Series ACR is a perfect choice to use in conjunction with your 5511e. Full wiring instructions are included in the unit, but basically you connect a jumper from each of the positive terminals of your batteries to the studs on the ACR. You also need to hook up the ground wire, and we strongly recommend connecting terminal 1 to Stud B. This will make more sense when you're staring at the actual unit or its instructions.

When the ACR combines both batteries, it effectively creates a single battery bank as far as your charging source is concerned, thus charging both batteries simultaneously. When combined, both batteries are also supplying power to whatever load is present. So long as the charging source output is greater than the load draw, the ACR stays combined, and the batteries are being charged. If the load exceeds the charging output, then the ACR opens until the battery connected to the charging source once again reaches the closing voltage. This condition results in a cycling effect, the frequency of which is determined by the size of the load, size of the charging output, and battery parameters.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any further comments or questions.

Best regards,

Scott McEniry
Sales Operations Manager
Blue Sea Systems

-----Original Message-----
From: Posted At: Friday, February 09, 2007 9:26 AM Posted To: Conductor
Conversation: CL-Series BatteryLink™ ACR (Current Limiting) PN: 7600
Subject: CL-Series BatteryLink™ ACR (Current Limiting) PN: 7600

Hello:

Am thinking about getting one of these for my boat. Two questions:

1. How would one wire this in a system with a cranking and house battery currently wired to one of your E-Series Battery Switch Dual Circuit Plus™ PN: 5511e?

2. When the 7600 combines the two batteries, is it charging both at the same time and also, when the 7600 combines the batteries are they both supplying power to the house side positive bus bar?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: