The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Adding additional tail, brake & signaling lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Goodness - if the driver can't see that an 8 foot wide, 10 foot tall, 30 foot long trailer with working lights in the regular old spot isn't stopping or turning, then it's a bad day at driver education class. I always laugh a little up here because the State makes folks with big loads put an oversized load sign on the front and back of their rigs and run a strobe light. I'm like....duh....never would have noticed....Totally agree some people need all the help they can get on the road Smile

Totally agree, however, the light placement on some trailers are there only to fit the requirements, not to provide logical notification to following drivers. (Witness the lights on a trailer that has the the aft crossmember a full 4 feet (or more), forward of the transom on the boat, and then below that crossmember, and compare that to a quality built trailer that has the lights on the end very close to the transom.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Goodness - if the driver can't see that an 8 foot wide, 10 foot tall, 30 foot long trailer with working lights in the regular old spot isn't stopping or turning, then it's a bad day at driver education class. I always laugh a little up here because the State makes folks with big loads put an oversized load sign on the front and back of their rigs and run a strobe light. I'm like....duh....never would have noticed....Totally agree some people need all the help they can get on the road Smile

That is a Federal D.O.T. thing! Any thing over 8'6" requires F&R signage, Strobe & a trip permit Thumbs Up The state just gets the permit fees Wink
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extra led light, about 8" or 10" wide that mounts on the cavitation plate on the outboard. A wire runs down to a standard trailer plug mounted on the trailer's rear cross member. The light does running lights and brake lights only. I bought it years ago. It's very bright. Don't remember the brand name.

I hardly use it as most trips we do are relatively short. If I were going on a longer trip, say to another state, I'd probably put it on.

It's more at "eye level" for other drivers and is the farthest back part of the entire rig, due to it being mounted on the cavitation plate with the outboard up for towing.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Goodness - if the driver can't see that an 8 foot wide, 10 foot tall, 30 foot long trailer with working lights in the regular old spot isn't stopping or turning, then it's a bad day at driver education class....

But then you'd have also thought that people could see other cars and pay attention to them. But nooooooo. That's why cars are required to have centerline brake lights now. Usually higher up than the conventional ones.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back as I am actually getting started on getting this project done.

Wondering if anyone has pictures, or part numbers. I have collected some parts, including an 8 ft aluminum channel to mount the lights in/on and a 45 foot 7 wire cord to run from the "Y" at the truck to the light bar above the OB's. This will be for more long distance tows, or city tows.

The 8 ft bar with lights and wire will fit inside my truck for extended parking situations. I am planning on mounting the lights on the inside of the 2" channel and having the upper and lower edges to protect the lights and wire run. It will be all LED lights: The 60" Recon Lite Bar, additional 60 watt backup, Red brake, and orange turn lights with orange and red markers at the ends.

At least that is the plan. This will all be running off the 7 pin plug on the truck to a "Y" and then the cable will run alongside, or through the boat, as needed.

So, what are your thoughts on any part of this. Maybe it seems excessive, but IF it keeps someone from busting one of my props or lower units, it is worth it, I think.

I am now trying to figure out the wiring arrangement Shocked Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: